Video Games Thread

dildo69er

10 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

that's taskin'

and i'm not being cheeky, either. i love the look and feel of game worlds and VR... i'm just looking for an experience, literally, with none of the above.

I mean pretty much every game will have some sort of goal or task involved. 

But in terms of immersive, adventure games that break the mold a bit, you should look at Firewatch, the Stanley Parable, Journey, Gone Home, Mirror's Edge, Amnesia, etc. 

If you want a laid back, chill game, that still has tasks, you should check out Stardew Valley. 

I'd also recommend Inside, one of the best platformers/puzzle games I've ever played. 

20 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I mean pretty much every game will have some sort of goal or task involved.

yea, that's sort of what the problem is for me. is there a game environment where you can just walk around and look at stuff? i'm looking for a completely passive immersive experience.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:24 PM, daveyjones said:

yea, that's sort of what the problem is for me. is there a game environment where you can just walk around and look at stuff? i'm looking for a completely passive immersive experience.

I remember there was an old Wii game that came out where you are a scuba diver and literally all you do is swim around and look at fish/whales/marine life etc.  Probably a shit game but sounds like what you are talking about.  Endless Ocean.

Or just ignoring the actual missions and driving around, exploring, doing nothing in GTA is fun.

On 11/23/2019 at 8:24 PM, daveyjones said:

That’s all I do when my kid begs me to play Minecraft. she’s always building away while I’m walking around “what’s this thing?” “And what about this?” I especially like the Mario board...I definitely cannot build & I don’t like when the creepers can kill me, because they will every time. I play Atari & Mario games & that’s about the extent of my gaming, the worst gamer in the family by far....but I can beat my kid at Pac-Man every time. 😂

I've always fantasized about a game that recreates an actual city or state or country for full exploration. Like say NYC, but fully explorable, GTA style, without the whole killing people thing. Might be what Davey is talking about.

Google Earth satellite street view on steroids.

I've wanted this to exist for many years.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 6:50 PM, daveyjones said:

i'm looking for a video game where i don't perform tasks, or solve problems, or make choices, or reach goals, or compete, or interact with others. any recommendations?

Just free play in a game like GTA V.  Sure it can have goals and all that, but you can also just fuck around and do whatever the hell you want. 

On 11/23/2019 at 5:24 PM, daveyjones said:

Your best bet would probably be a simulator game (truck simulator, farming simulator, etc.). The closest thing that comes to my mind for your description would probably be a multiplayer game like Second Life, where all you do is walk around and interact with people (but I know you said you didn't want to have to interact with others). 

Or as @M!ke suggested, playing an open world game and not doing any of the objectives. Skyrim is another good example. 

8 hours ago, Ghent said:

I've always fantasized about a game that recreates an actual city or state or country for full exploration. Like say NYC, but fully explorable, GTA style, without the whole killing people thing. Might be what Davey is talking about.

I've had the same want ... but I'm okay with murder and mayhem.

9 hours ago, Ghent said:

I feel like this idea would be a great addition to the Sim City franchise. 

Build your own city and then switch to first person perspective and walk around it. I think one of the Rollercoaster Tycoon's did something similar where you could ride coasters you built in first person. 

9 hours ago, Ghent said:

Spider-Man PS4 kinda does this. I could swing around New York City for hours without actually accomplishing any goals.

• 3 weeks later...

Xbox Series X looks fucking solid.  Holy shit, that Hellblade 2 trailer looked like it could have been filmed in live action.  That name though, ugh, you're not doing yourself any favors there Microsoft, it's practically the Wii U name all over again, the clueless consumer looking to buy little Billy a Christmas gift next year could easily accidentally get an Xbone X instead thinking they got exactly what he wanted.  Also, the physical device isn't all that aesthetically pleasing if I'm being honest here.  But at the end of the day neither of these things really matter, what matters are the games, and I think this next gen, Microsoft is on the right track to really hit the ground running.  We'll see. I'm certainly open to seeing what the PS5 has to offer, but Godfall didn't look particularly amazing, seems like something that could have been running on a PS4 Pro.

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

Xbox Series X looks fucking solid.  Holy shit, that Hellblade 2 trailer looked like it could have been filmed in live action.  That name though, ugh, you're not doing yourself any favors there Microsoft, it's practically the Wii U name all over again, the clueless consumer looking to buy little Billy a Christmas gift next year could easily accidentally get an Xbone X instead thinking they got exactly what he wanted.  Also, the physical device isn't all that aesthetically pleasing if I'm being honest here.  But at the end of the day neither of these things really matter, what matters are the games, and I think this next gen, Microsoft is on the right track to really hit the ground running.  We'll see. I'm certainly open to seeing what the PS5 has to offer, but Godfall didn't look particularly amazing, seems like something that could have been running on a PS4 Pro.

The shape of it is a little inconvenient for me. I built our entertainment center to have a shelf to conceal my consoles and it won't fit in it. 

The top middle drawer folds down instead of pulling out.   

20171017-182251.jpg

Still, I was a bit disappointed with the Xbox One as PS4 seemed to have the better exclusives this last generation but they tend to switch back and forth so maybe Xbox will be better this next generation. 

On 12/17/2019 at 1:47 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

So Final Fantasy 7 is going to be a timed exclusive for the PS4. That’s what I hoped would be the case. Now the question is can I wait an entire extra year to play it on my PC, or will I have to find someone to let me play it on their PS4... 

What's curious is that it's timed exclusive for a year.  Meaning when it's time ends, it could be released for next Gen systems in 2021.  I imagine it will come to PC, but could it also come to the Xbox Series X?  And if they release it for the Series X will it also have another PS5 release?  So even Playstation fans might find it best to wait a year for the best visual experience if that is important to them.

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

What's curious is that it's timed exclusive for a year.  Meaning when it's time ends, it could be released for next Gen systems in 2021.  I imagine it will come to PC, but could it also come to the Xbox Series X?  And if they release it for the Series X will it also have another PS5 release?  So even Playstation fans might find it best to wait a year for the best visual experience if that is important to them.

It’s kinda funny to think that the remake was announced for the PS3, is releasing on the PS4, and will continue on the PS5 (I assume) since they’re releasing the game in parts.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ghent said:

I am really enjoying The Fallen Order so far. Has some Zelda elements to it, which was a pleasant surprise for a SW game

What kinda zelda elements? I’m intrigued after that.

There is a few games i want to get for my ps4 but I think I’m just gonna wait for the ps5 to launch since it will likely be backwards compatible with ps4 games.

I also don’t really need any new games. Ever since I hacked my switch and have access to the switch library for free, dropping $90 on a game seems unnecessary.