Video Games Thread

dildo69er

3 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

Just made it to Blighttown in Dark Souls Remastered. My enthusiasm for this game has fallen off a cliff now, fucking Blighttown sucks asshole. 

I recommend if your struggling with blighttown to look up the alternate path (finishes blighttown in about 5 minutes lol)

47 minutes ago, dildo69er said:

I recommend if your struggling with blighttown to look up the alternate path (finishes blighttown in about 5 minutes lol)

Oh yeah, I'm aware. I want to do a semi-completionist run though (get as many items and complete as much of the game as I can). I've heard there are some good items you can miss out on if you don't fully explore blighttown. So I'm just going to go in with more preparation (spider shield, posion ring, lots of moss, etc.) to overcompensate for how shitty it is.

The one drawback of the Switch version so far is the online community seems pretty empty. I wasn't able to invade anyone's game the other day. 

Just beat blighttown tonight. Wasn't too bad once I had the right stuff with a high enough level. The beginning was pretty overwhelming though (I went through the Depths entrance) - so much shit scattered all over the place, it's so dark, and the ladders are actually pretty hard to see. I ended up trying to go through the Demon Ruins but that turned out to be a bad call. Now I gotta choose whether I do Sen's Fortress, Catacombs, or fighting the Great Grey Wolf Sif. I'll probably go Sif then Sen's Fortress. 

11 hours ago, Madele said:

I've tried to stop myself from doing so but gave in and ordered a nintendo switch. not super smart to spend lots of money these days I guess, but shit I'm so excited about soon being able to play zelda again!!!!

It's a pretty cool device for any gamer to own honestly.  What intrigues me though are the additional possibilities that the Switch may have to offer that would really change the entire video game landscape.  Like Sony recently surveyed PlayStation owners to see if they'd be interested in remote playing their PS4 (and presumably PS5 when it arrives) with their Switch.  That's such an insane idea, but I mean it checks out, you can't remote play the system if you don't own it, so to make use of the feature you'd have to own both systems, making it an appealing form of synergy for Sony and Nintendo, the Vita works well in such a scenario, of course that lacked a few buttons, and the install base of the Vita is considerably smaller than the Switch.  Of course Microsoft has already put a handful of their best indie titles (and Minecraft of course) on the Switch, allowed for Banjo in Smash, and they've made a focus on getting players to play their games, but not so much caring where they play them, hence why you can play Xbox games on PC.  With Xcloud and remote play, they've got their games on smartphones and tablets as well.  Seems like the next logical step to make is that remote play of Xbone and maybe Series X could be accomplished on a Switch, and/or they could bring streaming games and gamepass to the Switch with Xcloud as well. 

These ideas seem crazy in principle, but based on everything we're seeing these days in the video game world, it doesn't seem all that impossible anymore.  Microsoft seems to have no interest in creating a portable of their own, and Sony has reportedly bowed out of the portable race, at least for the time being, so if they want to tap into the many gamers that do want to play their games on the go, partnering up with Nintendo in such a way kinda makes a lot of sense. 

Anyone watch that Nintendo Direct from yesterday? Some good ports, but I'm a bit miffed that EA remastered Burnout: Paradise when the series has way better games to offer. Burnout 3: Takedown would be the obvious choice, but even Revenge would be better (or ideally, having both 3 and Revenge remastered together in one package). Paradise was a huge step down for me. The racing and tracks felt worse as a result of the open/sandbox environment, having no crash mode was disappointing, and the soundtrack wasn't quite as good as the previous games. Takedown is probably a top 5-10 game of all time for me, so it's disappointing that it has been neglected over the last decade.

It does make sense why EA chose Paradise to remaster, though. EA is a cheap ass company and Paradise is the newest, easiest one to port since they pretty much only need to update the FPS and resolution.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I'm tired of them rereleasing Paradise and just want them to make a brand new Burnout game. It's been 12 years since the last new Burnout game ffs.

Agreed, Criterion really got shafted by EA's general fuckery. They got stuck with developing Battlefield V's battle royale mode, and have been in charge of the Need for Speed series over recent years. It's too bad because Nintendo approached them to do an F-Zero game in 2015 and they had to turn it down. 

I don't even need a new Burnout game, just give me Takedown remastered. 

47 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

Agreed, Criterion really got shafted by EA's general fuckery. They got stuck with developing Battlefield V's battle royale mode, and have been in charge of the Need for Speed series over recent years. It's too bad because Nintendo approached them to do an F-Zero game in 2015 and they had to turn it down. 

I don't even need a new Burnout game, just give me Takedown remastered. 

Huh, TIL.  I'm a huge Nintendo nerd and this is news to me.  Didn't know they ever tried to do another F-Zero game since GX and AX.

2 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Huh, TIL.  I'm a huge Nintendo nerd and this is news to me.  Didn't know they ever tried to do another F-Zero game since GX and AX.

From Criterion's Wikipedia page:

In June 2015, news site Nintendo Life reveals that in early 2011 Nintendo of Europe approached Criterion to work on a pitch for a new F-Zero game which they hoped to unveil at E3 that same year alongside the then-unreleased Wii U console, and potentially release the game during the console's launch period. However, the developer was unable to handle the pitch as, at the time, they devoted much of their resources into the development of Need for Speed: Most Wanted for multiple platforms. The site was tipped by an anonymous, yet "reliable" source, but they had confirmed this information when Criterion co-founder Alex Ward (who left the company in 2014) admitted that Nintendo of Europe did indeed approach the company for a potential F-Zero game on the Wii U.[14] Alex Ward also noted on Twitter that Criterion was also offered the opportunity to work on the first Forza, Mad Max, a Vauxhall only racer, a Command & Conquer first-person shooter and a Gone in 60 Seconds game.[15]

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

So I’m still going strong in Animal Crossing, but I do have to wonder, does anything actually happen? Lol

I just got my second loan from that bastard Tom Nook. $198,000? Jesus

Haha. Things don’t really happen. You just continue building new buildings, more people move in, you can add more bridges and start building ramps. There is an “end goal” I guess, but to achieve it is just continuing to improve your island with new residents and improving the islands rating. I won’t spoil what it is but you just basically keep doing what you’ve been doing over and over. It’s definitely a game you just play for a couple hours a day.

My last loan was $598,000 taking me forever to pay it off because I keep getting little loans for $100,000 each for other little things to improve the island. I’ve heard the last loan is like 2million.

• Like 1

Haha it’s so weird because I’m not bored playing it at all, but at the same time it feels like something should eventually change. No one has moved to my island yet though. I’ll keep plugging away and see what happens. Definitely seems like a 30 minutes a day type of game.

My biggest form of excitement so far has been catching a couple sturgeon and cashing them in for $10k. Holla

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Haha it’s so weird because I’m not bored playing it at all, but at the same time it feels like something should eventually change. No one has moved to my island yet though. I’ll keep plugging away and see what happens. Definitely seems like a 30 minutes a day type of game.

My biggest form of excitement so far has been catching a couple sturgeon and cashing them in for $10k. Holla

Have you built the shop yet? Once that’s built that begins the process of loving new people in.