Video Games Thread

dildo69er

6 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Just call it what it is, why relabel it FF3, just call it FF6... not you ... them ... I'm irritable tonight.

Ah lol I thought you meant the games storyline was annoying you. Yeah it’s a bit silly but what ya gonna do. It’d be kinda weird going from 1-4-6 I guess though. Blame Americans for not showing enough interest in final fantasy 1.

1 minute ago, Russel Coight said:

Ah lol I thought you meant the games storyline was annoying you. Yeah it’s a bit silly but what ya gonna do. It’d be kinda weird going from 1-4-6 I guess though. Blame Americans for not showing enough interest in final fantasy 1.

I blame everyone, Coight ... except you, you're perfect.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Which one is better 6 or 8? I’ve gonna play one or the other next.

I think 6 is better! Maybe even my favorite FF that I’ve played.

A lot of people don’t like 8 because it’s pretty different than the others but I actually enjoyed it a lot too after I got used to it. Both are fun imo. But I’d recommend 6 first!

• Like 1

Pretty much done Dark Souls: Remastered now - just need to complete Kiln of the First Flame, but might do the Painted World of Ariamis first (the last optional area that I haven't visited yet). I've only played two Souls games (Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3), but the difficulty curve of the games are very similar. Starts off easy (unless you're unfamiliar with the games), ramps up a lot mid-game, then becomes really easy during the last quarter if you levelled up enough. The games really aren't that difficult if you approach them properly; I only used a guide/walkthrough like twice on my current play through. 

On 4/14/2020 at 9:11 PM, Speedo said:

Just call it what it is, why relabel it FF3, just call it FF6... not you ... them ... I'm irritable tonight.

It was the earlier years of video games they didn't yet have a full grasp on how long each series would go on for or how big they'd get.  It's for a similar reason that they didn't think there was any problem with releasing 2 completely different Super Mario Bros. 2 games to different regions of the world back then.  They were young, they were naive, it was still pretty uncharted territory. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying a hdmi convertor for my 64 and it works great! It's not perfect but after fucking with my TV settings, its pretty damn close. I'm starting out with Goldeneye and it's taking me right back to being 12 again, except now I call everyone a cunt loud, proud and unafraid.

• Like 3

Finally got my Switch back yesterday after 3 weeks of repair service. It had been sent around to three different service places, but it turns out that none of them have done anything with it, so eventually it got sent back to my local shop without being fixed. Soo I had to hand it back in right away for another round, lol. Seems like this is going to take a while.

So a hacked switch just got this awesome new app that basically streams your pc to your switch with next to no latency with decent internet/modem. So I set up PS4 remote play on my pc and then streamed that to my switch and was able to play FF7Remake on my switch. Insane. It wasn’t perfect, some frame drops and a little lag but I assume that’s from going ps4 > pc > switch but it was definitely playable. So cool.

Im considering actually just getting a decent PC setup now so I can just run games on that and stream to my switch. I’ve always been put off pc gaming cause I don’t wanna just sit in front of a computer but laying on the couch sounds noice.

• Like 1

Also apparently large amounts of The Last of Us part 2 has leaked online. If you care do your beat to avoid spoilers. Gonna be tough. Hopefully can make it to release without getting it ruined.

edit: fuck didn’t make it a day lol people are cunts 

9 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

So a hacked switch just got this awesome new app that basically streams your pc to your switch with next to no latency with decent internet/modem. So I set up PS4 remote play on my pc and then streamed that to my switch and was able to play FF7Remake on my switch. Insane. It wasn’t perfect, some frame drops and a little lag but I assume that’s from going ps4 > pc > switch but it was definitely playable. So cool.

Im considering actually just getting a decent PC setup now so I can just run games on that and stream to my switch. I’ve always been put off pc gaming cause I don’t wanna just sit in front of a computer but laying on the couch sounds noice.

This is actually the second of such homebrew apps for the Switch that allows you to stream your PC to the Switch, but this version is by all accounts better.  The other one as I recall, wasn't able to stream sound to the Switch last I had checked (though admittedly that was like a year or so ago at this point).

Its stuff like that which really kinda makes you realize the full potential of the Switch and recognize how much greater it could end up being.  Sure homebrewers got streaming to the Switch working, but this is far from the start of this being considered for the Switch, probably about 2 years ago, a dev got a similar app running to stream your PC to Switch, I believe they called it Rainway, they wanted it to be an official app though, so they submitted it to Nintendo, and it seems their app was rejected.  Kinda understandable, it'd be real easy to put Nintendo emulators on your PC and then be streaming emulated Nintendo games to your device without their blessing.  Having said that, I hope and believe this isn't the last we've heard of any kind of official take on such an app.  Perhaps Nintendo will never legitimately allow us to stream our home computers to the Switch since home computers are so readily open to be exploited. But maybe, just maybe, Sony and Microsoft's home consoles could officially get this treatment.  I may have mentioned this possibility in the thread here before, but I find it so interesting that i can't help but geek out about what potentially could happen.

Let's look at Sony.  They actually recently, in the past couple of months, sent out a survey to their players asking many questions, among them was the question of if they'd like to stream their PS4 (and presumably PS5 when that arrives) to their Switch for remote play when they're on the go.  Clearly Sony sees value in remote play, allowing users that have Vitas to play their PS4s and PS3s on the go.  But the Vita didn't sell well, and Sony seems to have little interest in re-entering the portable gaming market.  And of course, for this to be a viable option, you still need to own the PlayStation system as well as a Switch, meaning it wouldn't hurt hardware sales to enable such a feature.

On the other side of the coin is Microsoft.  While they haven't asked the question directly, they've become undeniably closer to Nintendo in the past couple of years than they've ever been, releasing their best indie Xbox games to the Switch, quickly embracing cross-play with Nintendo long before Sony finally joined them, and of course allowing Banjo & Kazooie to appear in Smash.  The relationship is there, and Microsoft allows for remote play of the Xbone with smartphones, tablets, and home computers, plus they've made it the goal to get players to play their games wherever possible with their play anywhere initiative, even if you buy the game directly for the computer an not an Xbone.  Furthermore, they too seem to have no interest in making their own portable gaming console.  

The capability is there, the interest seems to be there from Sony and Microsoft, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that thinks it's a bad idea.  If implemented it seems like a win-win-win situation, gamers win by being able to play any of their home console games on the go so long as they have internet access and a Switch, Nintendo wins since it'd encourage Xbone and PS4 owners to buy a Switch to unlock more potential from their hardware, and Sony/Microsoft would win because it would encourage Switch owners to buy a PS4/Xbone to greatly expand the playable library on their hybrid system.

Microsoft may well even consider putting Gamepass and individual games on the Switch directly as streaming only titles via the Xcloud, that seems totally feasible as well, as it is, in Japan, there are 3 games for the Switch that can only be played by streaming them since the system alone isn't able to handle them natively (games in question are Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Resident Evil VII, and Phantasy Star Online 2).

Perhaps none of this will ever happen, but I'd so love it, Nintendo may have created a device that in a sense can unite gamers across platforms rather than continues to divide them, a device that kinda transcends what we think a traditional system should be.  Seems to me that even without streaming, any game made up through and before the 360/PS3 era should be free game to get ported to the Switch, and no matter how old the game, if it was a great experience, you'll find many people would love to have it again, just for the great ability to now play it on the go as well as at home on the TV.  This is why even some older N64 and PC games are starting to pop up on the device too, looking at you Turok, Star Wars Episode One Racer, and Jedi Academy.  

Sorry to write an essay here, I just love what Nintendo has done with the Switch, and I still see so much untapped potential in it that we may see realized as time moves forward.  It's no wonder it's been the success that it has.

• Like 1

@M!ke yeah In-home switching was the first one but it was shit and got abandoned so I ignore it lol.

yeah I agree with everything else you said. The switch has this huge potential and I really hope Nintendo realises it. I’m worried they won’t though because they’d be too worried about people Emulating games and then just streaming to the switch. Nintendo is a bit ridiculous when it comes to that stuff.

Got Link's Awakening for the Switch. I know this game is short and isn't gonna last too long but it's a fun throwback and it makes me smile so I'm glad I have it. Wouldn't mind more of these 2D Zelda remakes. I'd LOVE a Zelda 2 remake or another Zelda game in that same gameplay style but I don't think that either will ever happen. People hate on Zelda 2 but I've played through it a couple times and had so much fun with it.

Also started Final Fantasy 9. Everything felt so slow at the beginning including the battles and it killed me at first but it seems to have picked up the pace now and I'm enjoying it more. I'm guessing I'm about halfway through and it's getting pretty crazy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Got Link's Awakening for the Switch. I know this game is short and isn't gonna last too long but it's a fun throwback and it makes me smile so I'm glad I have it. Wouldn't mind more of these 2D Zelda remakes. 

I've been thinking about giving it a go, but also been a bit skeptical because I'm not too fond of the style. Is it like, a genuinely good game or do people mostly like it because of nostalgia?

3 hours ago, Maddey said:

I've been thinking about giving it a go, but also been a bit skeptical because I'm not too fond of the style. Is it like, a genuinely good game or do people mostly like it because of nostalgia?

It's a great game - the original was as well. Some challenging puzzles later into the game. If you like Link to the Past, you'll enjoy this one. My complaints are that the frame rate has issues dropping significantly (only in the populated village area), the game is a bit short, and the world size is pretty small when compared to other Zelda games. Still a great game, but I personally liked A Link Between Worlds more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedo said:

What's Mario getting?

It's pretty much all but confirmed that Nintendo will re-release Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube), Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (Wii), and I think Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) onto the Switch. Not sure if they will be packaged together or sold separately though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Got Link's Awakening for the Switch. I know this game is short and isn't gonna last too long but it's a fun throwback and it makes me smile so I'm glad I have it. Wouldn't mind more of these 2D Zelda remakes. I'd LOVE a Zelda 2 remake or another Zelda game in that same gameplay style but I don't think that either will ever happen. People hate on Zelda 2 but I've played through it a couple times and had so much fun with it.

Also started Final Fantasy 9. Everything felt so slow at the beginning including the battles and it killed me at first but it seems to have picked up the pace now and I'm enjoying it more. I'm guessing I'm about halfway through and it's getting pretty crazy.

I remember the original being a long game..Was that because I was a kid and sucked and kept getting stuck? Or did they change it?

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I remember the original being a long game..Was that because I was a kid and sucked and kept getting stuck? Or did they change it?

It's cause you were a kid and sucked, same thing happened with me. Seemed to take me like a month to beat as a kid. I beat the Switch version in like a week, while only playing it a couple hours a day. It's supposed to take 9-12 hours. 

• Haha 1