Video Games Thread

dildo69er

If you've never been a fan of the puzzle-based dungeons of most 3D Zelda titles before BOTW, then you very likely wont like the shrines (and I honestly question what you're even doing with a Zelda game since that's always been integral to the series).  But the good news for you is, that you don't have to complete them all, and hell you don't even have to complete any of them (outside of the initial ones that give you your runes).  It will make the game harder if you don't beat some of them, as that is how you can expand your life and stamina wheel (and collecting enough extra heart containers allows you to pull out the Master Sword), but you can beat the game all the same without even indulging in the shrines.  I personally don't get what's not to like about them, but I suppose such 3D adventure puzzling isn't going to be for everyone.

22 minutes ago, M!ke said:

If you've never been a fan of the puzzle-based dungeons of most 3D Zelda titles before BOTW, then you very likely wont like the shrines (and I honestly question what you're even doing with a Zelda game since that's always been integral to the series).  But the good news for you is, that you don't have to complete them all, and hell you don't even have to complete any of them (outside of the initial ones that give you your runes).  It will make the game harder if you don't beat some of them, as that is how you can expand your life and stamina wheel (and collecting enough extra heart containers allows you to pull out the Master Sword), but you can beat the game all the same without even indulging in the shrines.  I personally don't get what's not to like about them, but I suppose such 3D adventure puzzling isn't going to be for everyone.

I don’t mind puzzles. I just think they are way too similiar, and I think the look of them is kind of boring (so far at least). Would enjoy them more if they were fewer and longer and if the «design» or whatever it’s called varied a bit. I’m aware that I could skip them but I want to follow the game properly even though I don’t enjoy doing them.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:58 AM, Russel Coight said:

I did everything I could. Replayed the whole game on hard mode and got that platinum trophy. Loved it. You haven’t finished the story yet?

I've finished the story now and am now up to chapter 6 on hard. Just making sure I get everything I missed in the first playthrough and checking stuff online as I didn't use any guides on my first playthrough.

Really enjoyed it but fighting Sephiroth in Midgar just felt wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, Maddey said:

I don’t mind puzzles. I just think they are way too similiar, and I think the look of them is kind of boring (so far at least). Would enjoy them more if they were fewer and longer and if the «design» or whatever it’s called varied a bit. I’m aware that I could skip them but I want to follow the game properly even though I don’t enjoy doing them.

I don't see the issue with how many there are.  They aren't required, you can do as many as you like or don't like.  Some of them are rather long, but most of them are shorter, that is true.  I enjoyed them as brief diversions in 3D puzzle solving from my main adventure, and only ever tackled them when I felt like I wanted that break from the main gameplay.  Never felt like a chore or annoying to me, but to each their own I suppose.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:15 AM, Russel Coight said:

Honestly 10 is great. It’s the best of the turn based combat. You can switch party members in battle which makes levelling everyone way easier. The skill tree system (I can’t remember what it’s called in this game) is pretty cool too.

On 5/18/2020 at 11:05 PM, M!ke said:

I love X, once you get your own giant Mech, that game gets so fuckin satisfying.

I fucking love 10, it's my favourite one after 7. Combat is great and the sphere grid is one of my favourite ways to level up, especially when you use the advanced one that gives you more flexibility to customise how you level up your characters.

I also really liked the story, didn't think it was that bad at all...

1 minute ago, ...Dan... said:

I fucking love 10, it's my favourite one after 7. Combat is great and the sphere grid is one of my favourite ways to level up, especially when you use the advanced one that gives you more flexibility to customise how you level up your characters.

I also really liked the story, didn't think it was that bad at all...

For the record, when I was talking about X, I was talking with Russel and Cheerios about Xenoblade Chronicles X, not Final Fantasy X.

Beat Final Fantasy 9 and really liked it. Bought Final Fantasy 10 on the eshop without realizing I don't have enough free space on my Switch (even if I delete everything) and I can't find a micro SD card in the house bigger than 2GB so I can't play it until my 258GB microSD comes in the mail lol. But I wanted to play something new so I bought a game called Cosmic Star Heroine which is heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger so it's been on my radar for a while. It's on sale for $1.50 right now! At least in the U.S. it is. Apparently it's only like 10 hours long which honestly sounds great to me. Been playing it a bit today and I'm enjoying it. It really does remind me a lot of Chrono Trigger. Not quite as good, but still, for $1.50 it's pretty great! It has actually made me laugh out loud a few times already too. I'm liking it.

Is it weird that I love JRPGs but I can't enjoy anime at all? Anyone else in that boat? All these games I like have so much anime influence but I actually don't enjoy anime. I do like Miyazaki Studio Ghibli movies but I can't get into any anime shows at all, other than Pokemon and Digimon when I was like 8 lol.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:06 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

Is it weird that I love JRPGs but I can't enjoy anime at all? Anyone else in that boat? All these games I like have so much anime influence but I actually don't enjoy anime. I do like Miyazaki Studio Ghibli movies but I can't get into any anime shows at all, other than Pokemon and Digimon when I was like 8 lol.

I love FF titles but can't really stand anime (aside from NGE, which is great).

In thoe whole lockdown weeks I've been able to play/replay some old adventure games. I revisited the Monkey Island saga, and also titles as Maniac Mansion, Day Of The Tentacle and Grim Fandango. Love those games.

But also I discovered Ron Gilbert (Monkey Island) had released a new adventure game, Thimbleweed Park, and I played it. It's awesome. If anyone is into adventure games, just grab it and enjoy. Retro-style, point and clic and lots of refferences to the old point and click adventures.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some games on that Nintendo Switch summer sale where a bunch of stuff was 50% off. Picked up Risk of Rain 2, Wargroove, Enter the Gungeon, and Golf Story. Just started Golf Story the other day and am enjoying it; it's like if Stardew Valley had a baby with a golf game. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

Got some games on that Nintendo Switch summer sale where a bunch of stuff was 50% off. Picked up Risk of Rain 2, Wargroove, Enter the Gungeon, and Golf Story. Just started Golf Story the other day and am enjoying it; it's like if Stardew Valley had a baby with a golf game. 

I played Golf Story a few weeks ago (also because it was on sale) and I thought it was great! I hate real golf but video game golf has always been kinda fun for me. There's so much more than just golf in that game though, which is what makes it great imo.

I started Final Fantasy X a couple weeks back. Really fun so far! Don't love that there's no overworld and you're literally just walking down paths for most of the game, but overall it's really good. Easily one of the best stories in FF so far.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any Halo fans on here? Just saw the Infinite reveal, I've got mixed feelings.

Some gameplay mechanics looked really cool, and the ring you're on looked expansive - the textures though, it looks like a game released in 2014?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, _Bagel said:

Any Halo fans on here? Just saw the Infinite reveal, I've got mixed feelings.

Some gameplay mechanics looked really cool, and the ring you're on looked expansive - the textures though, it looks like a game released in 2014?

Yeah, I've seen comparison screen shots with other Halo games over the years and in a lot of way Infinite actually looks kinda worse.  However, it's not the final build, and it could be that some of the quality of the graphics may have been sacrificed a bit for consistent 4K 60fps output.  Also, there is speculation that the game is a full open world map, like you can genuinely explore the entire Halo ring, which might also account for the graphics not being as great as we may have been expecting.  I dunno how true that is, I have my doubts, but the idea of exploring an open world that is a ring like that is pretty cool in theory, though I'm not sure Halo is a game where that would make sense to be implemented like that.

• Like 1