Video Games Thread

dildo69er

This will be the first time I don't buy a new console close to launch since like N64. My reasons being: my Switch backlog is huge and I'd feel guilty buying another console, not having much free time nowadays, and wanting to save money to buy some property next year. I also regret buying Xbox last generation, so I'd like to wait to see the quality/quantity of games and then make a more informed decision on which console has the best library of games. I'm thinking I can also wait for some big price drops...like every console sees around $100-200 reduction within the first couple of years, right? 

I always just assume there are bugs to work out with new systems right after they release so I never really bother with them until a year or more later. Besides, why pay top dollar for something that'll be cheaper and have more options later on down the road?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I always just assume there are bugs to work out with new systems right after they release so I never really bother with them until a year or more later. Besides, why pay top dollar for something that'll be cheaper and have more options later on down the road?

I’ve never really experienced bugs tbh. I’ve got a launch PS4 and launch switch and both work just fine so I figured this one would be safe too. Might be wrong.

And I just really wanted a 4K gaming system. As I just said my PS4 is a launch model so 4K isn’t possible on it and newer games run like ass so I’ve got this 4K tv and a bunch of games I want to play and figured why not!? I also asked for gift cards to JB Hifi which is an electronics store here for the last two bdays and Christmas which I saved especially for this so I didn’t actually have to spend that much at all.

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

I've never bought any system at launch because exactly that, it always does drop in price and the better games come later.

That said, the ps5 is fully backwards compatible, even your digital downloads, so it's a pretty easy upgrade.  I always wait until there's a game I want then splurge. 

I like to play games one at a time so I can fully commit to one and finish it, and then move onto the next one. However, I am currently actively playing 4 games at once and while I'm having fun with all four it's kind of annoying to balance it. My siblings got me Super Mario Odyssey for my birthday yesterday which is amazing and just added to the load because I didn't want to wait to try it. lol. Not a bad problem to have really, but it's not how I usually do things. I was going to get Hyrule Warriors at launch but at this point I'm gonna hold off until I finish a few of these games first.

Also in the middle of Final Fantasy 7, Wargroove (probably playing this this most. It's basically Advance Wars and I'm really loving it), and... something else that I can't remember at the moment, I'm too tired. Bed time for me!

5 hours ago, Gaslit Jan said:

#firstworldprobs

Are the graphics noticeably better? I know they technically are, but the gaps closed quite a bit.

You won’t see games fully utilise the system for a couple of years. It looks way better to me cause I went from 1080 to 4K and the addition of Ray tracing makes everything look so damn nice.

It’s the performance of the games that are so much better straight away. PS4 games running so smooth and at 60fps is great.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

You won’t see games fully utilise the system for a couple of years. It looks way better to me cause I went from 1080 to 4K and the addition of Ray tracing makes everything look so damn nice.

It’s the performance of the games that are so much better straight away. PS4 games running so smooth and at 60fps is great.

Yeah the controller, back compat, and SSD are what sold me.  Putting an SSD in my crummy old laptop was the craziest thing I've ever seen, it's like instant fast.

I use a projector tho don't think I get 4K lol but I'm not huge on that anyways. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gaslit Jan said:

Soo.. it worth it? It seems like it's a great system but not a ton of overhyped feedback so far.

Well, again, I got it primarily for the 4K player and I love that. I wish I could have friends over to watch something. Honestly, this beats going to a theater in my eyes. 

Outside of actual games for the PS5, I have not played any. I have been playing Control and it looks great running on this. Going to try Overwatch today also. The system overall seems great though. I think it's still ugly as fuck and I stuck it behind my TV (thank you Sony for making thin as fuck TVs). The controller is very nice and I think it's an improvement. I think the PS button on the controller could be easier to push though, it's smaller and just the PlayStation symbol. The power chords they give you are short though, I was annoyed by that. 

The $500 price tag is worth if you ask me even if you just want either a 4K player along with a better gaming system for stuff you're normally playing. I don't think there is a game that is going to blow anyone's mind or anything like that yet. I'm going to use it every day and probably will pick up games as they get cheaper. So for me, it was just inevitable and I jumped at getting one.

Now, I do no recommend buying from scalpers and would just wait it out. I also think if you are worried about money, just be patient. Like the PS2, PS3, and the PS4, you can wait for a price drop and reap the benefits of waiting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaslit Jan said:

Soo.. it worth it? It seems like it's a great system but not a ton of overhyped feedback so far.

It’s fucking great. I love it. Mines been running smooth as fuck. Finished Miles Morales which was pretty short but looked amazing. Currently playing through Ghost of Tsushima and god fucking damn am I glad I waited to play it on ps5. The boost mode for PS4 games makes it run so smooth it’s amazing.

I can’t see how people can call it overhyped tbh. It doesn’t everything it said it would. Performance is 3:1 compared to my old PS4. The only problem is there isn’t much ps5 games atm so it’s mainly just a backwards compat machine which is fine for me since I got heaps of old games I never played.

Def recommend getting one but just wait for them to be restocked. Don’t pay scalpers. By then there’s bound to be more games available too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

It’s fucking great. I love it. Mines been running smooth as fuck. Finished Miles Morales which was pretty short but looked amazing. Currently playing through Ghost of Tsushima and god fucking damn am I glad I waited to play it on ps5. The boost mode for PS4 games makes it run so smooth it’s amazing.

I can’t see how people can call it overhyped tbh. It doesn’t everything it said it would. Performance is 3:1 compared to my old PS4. The only problem is there isn’t much ps5 games atm so it’s mainly just a backwards compat machine which is fine for me since I got heaps of old games I never played.

Def recommend getting one but just wait for them to be restocked. Don’t pay scalpers. By then there’s bound to be more games available too.

No I meant it's not overhyped, people are just happy/content with it instead of saying it is blowing their mind.  Which honestly makes me more intrigued, I hate hype.

It looks clean. Yes I hate the console appearance as well @_Kyle_ but you know it runs well/quiet on that SSD, and the controller looks perfect to me so there's that.  Will just tuck that alien spaceship behind some books.  No bias, the black speaker looking box that is the Xbox looks even sillier to me.

What's the actual backlog on this? How are they so sold out knowing they'd be selling like mad right now.

If I wait it out a year (I may) I hope they make a new model like the ps4 pro and will totally brag about not having the fugly launch version.

3 minutes ago, Gaslit Jan said:

No I meant it's not overhyped, people are just happy/content with it instead of saying it is blowing their mind.  Which honestly makes me more intrigued, I hate hype.

It looks clean. Yes I hate the console appearance as well @_Kyle_ but you know it runs well/quiet on that SSD, and the controller looks perfect to me so there's that.  Will just tuck that alien spaceship behind some books.  No bias, the black speaker looking box that is the Xbox looks even sillier to me.

What's the actual backlog on this? How are they so sold out knowing they'd be selling like mad right now.

If I wait it out a year (I may) I hope they make a new model like the ps4 pro and will totally brag about not having the fugly launch version.

Ah right yeah. It does everything I expected it too and I was def caught up in the hype so it’s great to not be let down.

I honestly don’t hate the design. It fits perfectly in my tv stand thing with all my consoles so I’m fine with it. I have it horizontal.

I wouldn’t expect a pro model for at least 3 years. That’s the precedent that has been set so I doubt you’ll see something before then. A slim model may come out before that but I wouldn’t expect that for 1-2 years either.

5 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

a guy I went to middle school and high school with worked on Miles Morales. he's the sound engineer or something. we were in rap group together. 

That’s awesome. He did a good job.

I need some new headphones to try out this 3D audio shit properly.