Video Games Thread

dildo69er

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

Monster Hunter: World was really cheap on Xbox One ... I pick that up ... don't know a thing about it, no clue if it's good or not. I have yet to play it.

World is fun. I played like half of it a few years ago. The new one for the switch coming soon looks good.

8 hours ago, Speedo said:

My lame ass mostly watches people play Mario Maker on YouTube. I don't even know why I like it but I fucking do.

You a fan of SimpleFlips?  I don't watch much Mario Maker, much prefer to play it from time to time, but when I do watch it, Flips is my man.

14 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I mostly watch Ryukahr, Grand Poo Bear, DGR, & Panga

heh, I'm unfamiliar with all of them, might check some of the out later though.

It's a shame Nintendo hasn't gone all in with supporting such games indefinitely.  They added a few features to SMM2 and then called it a day.  The features they added were nice, but they really could keep adding elements and even new game modes to the title for quite some time (seriously, give me some Mario 2/USA and Yoshi's Island modes already!).  Imagine if they treated the game with such continuous growth that titles like Rocket League or Minecraft continue to see over the years. 

They've done alright to keep Smash Ultimate going, but it does seem that after the second fighter pass the game will be done with major updates, and that sucks when there are so many past modes from other Smash games not in Ultimate that I'm certain many would welcome to the supposed ultimate entry of the franchise.  If nothing else, put in Smash Run!

And Mario Kart 8 Deluxe could easily be an ongoing Mario Kart game that they add new courses and battle maps to every year or so, new characters and karts would be cool too, but really it's the courses that people care about getting more of more than anything.

Games like Splatoon 2 could really benefit from such a model as well.

4 minutes ago, M!ke said:

heh, I'm unfamiliar with all of them, might check some of the out later though.

It's a shame Nintendo hasn't gone all in with supporting such games indefinitely.  They added a few features to SMM2 and then called it a day.  The features they added were nice, but they really could keep adding elements and even new game modes to the title for quite some time (seriously, give me some Mario 2/USA and Yoshi's Island modes already!).  Imagine if they treated the game with such continuous growth that titles like Rocket League or Minecraft continue to see over the years. 

They've done alright to keep Smash Ultimate going, but it does seem that after the second fighter pass the game will be done with major updates, and that sucks when there are so many past modes from other Smash games not in Ultimate that I'm certain many would welcome to the supposed ultimate entry of the franchise.  If nothing else, put in Smash Run!

And Mario Kart 8 Deluxe could easily be an ongoing Mario Kart game that they add new courses and battle maps to every year or so, new characters and karts would be cool too, but really it's the courses that people care about getting more of more than anything.

Games like Splatoon 2 could really benefit from such a model as well.

There's no real money in expanding games though and Nintendo is all about that profit. 

On 1/6/2021 at 10:03 PM, Speedo said:

There's no real money in expanding games though and Nintendo is all about that profit. 

it's a slow burn release. keep adding shit and people keep promoting it and talking about it. 

I've been playing Hades and it has been kicking my ass. owie. 

14 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

it's a slow burn release. keep adding shit and people keep promoting it and talking about it. 

I've been playing Hades and it has been kicking my ass. owie. 

Hades was pretty dope. The game gets easier through the unlockable upgrades and learning how to design different builds. I found builds that focused on the dodge ability and damage over time (e.g. hangover) were the best as you can play more conservatively while still dishing out damage. I beat it around 30-40 deaths I think, but I still need to go back and revisit it as I don't think the storyline ends when you make it to the end. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 7:03 PM, Speedo said:

You retain your player base which is a huge benefit for when you come out with the sequel. A lot of highly successful developers continue to release content for free (Overwatch is the first to come to mind) and it helps keep the game active.

It depends, obviously the free updates of SMM2 aren't gonna bring in extra money, but the ongoing DLC of games like Smash Ultimate obviously continue to bring in more money.  They could make DLC they could charge for in SMM2, add in a missing classic Mario modes like Mario 2/USA or Yoshi's Island or Super Mario Land 2, that we have to pay for, and that would quickly reinvigorate the playerbase while making some extra money.

7 hours ago, M!ke said:

That one annoys me.  That game feels like a base game that was clearly intended to be expanded upon.

Mario Party always seems to take a back seat for Nintendo. A lot of the games were pretty half baked. I remember one of the Gamecube games had orbs that screwed over everyone, including the person who used them. Like there was absolutely no gain in using the items. So poorly thought out. 

Or some of the mini games. Pick a random coloured rope and hope for the best, when you lose a star then 

marvin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I blew the dust off my old Gamecube a little while ago and I was so happy to see that it still works perfectly. Currently attempting to replay Ocarina of time properly for the first time in about ten years or so and it’s so nice. The quotes about friendship and growing up really hits different now. Love that game