Video Games Thread

dildo69er

On 5/28/2021 at 9:09 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

Finished Final Fantasy 12. I hated it. Then I looked online and apparently it’s near universally loved??? Wtf. Worst FF game I’ve played and I’ve played 1-12 except for 11. If this is any indication of where the series is heading I might not continue playing the rest (plus I’ve heard 13 sucks).

The announcement for the Octopath Traveler style remake of Dragon Quest 3 has me hyped. Probably the JRPG I’m most looking forward to now.

I'm happy that Square is continuing to use the Octopath art style in more games, it really is a beautiful style that works well for these classic JRPG styled games. I would love to see Chrono Trigger remade in such an art style.

• Love 1

Beat Breath of the Wild. Great game but a bit overhyped (I’d rank it around 8.5-9/10 instead of the constant 10/10s I saw online). I found the first half much more enjoyable and immersive than the second half as the formula got a bit repetitive after a while, but still a very enjoyable experience.

Any recommendations on my next game to start from my backlog would be welcomed. I’ve got:

-Okami HD

-Downwell

-South Park: The Fractured But Whole

-Risk of Rain 2

-Divinity Original Sin 2

-Into the Breach

-Super Mario 3D All Stars

-Civilization VI

-Warframe

-Crash Bandicoot trilogy remake (started it but didn’t really like it much)

On 5/30/2021 at 8:41 PM, Cum said:

Beat Breath of the Wild. Great game but a bit overhyped (I’d rank it around 8.5-9/10 instead of the constant 10/10s I saw online). I found the first half much more enjoyable and immersive than the second half as the formula got a bit repetitive after a while, but still a very enjoyable experience.

I beat the desert divine beast last night ... I just have the bird one left. It's been a fun little play through so far ... agreed its been a little repetitive though. I bought the DLC packs for like 8 bucks, so it'll take me a little longer to complete the game now.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone understand the science of why we watch movies at 24 fps and it looks perfect to us but 30 fps for a video game looks like shit? Or why The Hobbit movie was in 48 fps and it looked weird as hell because of it? Yet we love 60 or 120 fps for video games. I don't get it. I have small brain.

• Like 1

My biggest hope for E3 is a Twilight Princess port tbh, anything else zelda related will be a plus

Been tempted to buy a pre owned gamecube version of it lately (for ages) but gonna wait and see if it’ll get a switch version in any near future first, due to all the rumors

obvs wouldn’t exactly mind some botw2 news either though

6 hours ago, Maddey said:

My biggest hope for E3 is a Twilight Princess port tbh, anything else zelda related will be a plus

Surely they have to do something with the Zelda 35th anniversary other than just Slyward Sword. Porting twilight princess hd and wind waker is a no brainer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Maddey said:

Been tempted to buy a pre owned gamecube version of it lately (for ages) but gonna wait and see if it’ll get a switch version in any near future first, due to all the rumors

I’d like to play Twilight Princess again. That’s an underrated game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Surely they have to do something with the Zelda 35th anniversary other than just Slyward Sword. Porting twilight princess hd and wind waker is a no brainer.

For sure. They'd have to stagger the releases quite a bit though - who the hell would spend full price for Skyward Sword when you could get multiple, better Zelda games for the same price? 

16 minutes ago, Cum said:

For sure. They'd have to stagger the releases quite a bit though - who the hell would spend full price for Skyward Sword when you could get multiple, better Zelda games for the same price? 

I doubt they’d do a bundle with the HD ports. They would be full price games each. You’d maybe get a bundle with ocarina and majoras mask.

• Sad 1

Just now, Russel Coight said:

I doubt they’d do a bundle with the HD ports. They would be full price games each. You’d maybe get a bundle with ocarina and majoras mask.

I still think a Toon Link package of Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass/Wind Waker would be amazing. They'd have to revamp the touch screen controls though. 

I’d love to get the nicer looking 3DS versions of Ocarina and Majora ported to the Switch. The N64 versions are on literally every single Nintendo console from the N64 itself to the Wii U. Give us a chance to play the versions with better graphics on the big screen! (Better yet give us completely new HD modern remakes of those games, but I’m not counting on that ever happening)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cum said:

I still think a Toon Link package of Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass/Wind Waker would be amazing. They'd have to revamp the touch screen controls though. 

Well they worked out motion controls for skyward sword onto the switch so it’s not impossible.

46 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I’d love to get the nicer looking 3DS versions of Ocarina and Majora ported to the Switch. The N64 versions are on literally every single Nintendo console from the N64 itself to the Wii U. Give us a chance to play the versions with better graphics on the big screen! (Better yet give us completely new HD modern remakes of those games, but I’m not counting on that ever happening)

Nintendo did remake A Link to the Past with new graphics, a slightly modified map with new dungeons and purchasing weapons instead of finding them, and the hieroglyphic gameplay mechanic. Hopefully they do the same for those two classics, while adding some different gameplay mechanics to change it up. 

15 hours ago, Maddey said:

I imagine Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD will be coming to the Switch, given all the other Wii U games that have made it to the system, and it is the 35th anniversary of Zelda this year, and Skyward Sword is getting it's HD release as well.  However, I don't think we'll hear a word about either of the HD Wii U ports getting ported to the Switch at this E3.  Their Zelda news will almost definitely be about BOTW2, and maybe a brief final mention of Skyward Sword HD as that releases real soon.  Anything else Zelda though i think we'll see later in the year in a separate Zelda 35th anniversary Direct.

Having said all of that, I think Nintendo is poised to not only have one of their best E3 showings ever, but one of their all around best Directs ever.  At least they could anyway.  Nintendo loves to hold back and leave you wanting to know more, all the time.  But they have so many big games that we actually know about in the works right now to all come out relatively soon, with a few unknown release dates that I have to imagine are approaching soon regardless, then we'll almost certainly get another Smash fighter reveal if not the final 2, and they will likely have some sort of big surprise game they haven't announced yet as well.  

• Like 1

I'm waiting to bust out my wind waker hd for the wii u until E3. Hope it does come out, wouldn't mind buying it for real this time.

Been playing the remastered Dark Souls and damn is this a janky ass game. I'm into it but it feels like it's from 2001, not 2011. It being difficult is rewarding but really not my type of game in that the hook is the difficulty. I also hate games that have inventories with 80+ weapons, items, clothing, etc. 

On 6/11/2021 at 5:40 AM, _Kyle_ said:

I'm waiting to bust out my wind waker hd for the wii u until E3. Hope it does come out, wouldn't mind buying it for real this time.

Been playing the remastered Dark Souls and damn is this a janky ass game. I'm into it but it feels like it's from 2001, not 2011. It being difficult is rewarding but really not my type of game in that the hook is the difficulty. I also hate games that have inventories with 80+ weapons, items, clothing, etc. 

I don’t think the Switch remaster got the bump up to 60FPS that the other consoles received. It also has poor audio quality that can be jarring at times.

Such a great game though, it’s in my top 3 for best games of the last decade or so. The DLC is insanely hard, the bosses are ridiculous.

You’ll notice that the game is difficult but fair. You learn a lot from your mistakes and how in depth the combat is. It’s pretty rare that the game feels cheap or unfair.