Video Games Thread

dildo69er

Nintendo had a pretty great showing. 

I'll probably be buying Mario Golf, Metroid Dread, Mario Party Allstars, Zelda BOTW 2, and Advanced Wars. Nice to also see Warioware get a new game, but it's hard to justify spending $80 on a collection of mini games. 

The Zelda Game and Watch was a bit of a disappointment for the anniversary celebration, but new Metroid and Advance Wars makes it palatable. 

Nintendo wins e3. I can’t believe we’ve been hearing rumors about Metroid Dread since the Game Boy Advance days and now it’s finally a reality. Advance Wars has me hyped because that was my favorite GBA game and I lost it so I can’t wait to play that again. Mario Golf looks super fun. Mario Party looks great even though it’s old boards and mini games. Still great to have a classic style Mario Party to play. I played the old Mario Party games so much in college with friends and roommates.

Zelda Game & Watch is pretty cool imo. I have a feeling we still might get at least one more Zelda announcement before the year ends. Who knows though.

• Like 2

I agree Nintendo won this e3, but they also held back and that's so frustrating. Also, very annoyed that we still don't have the BOTW2 subtitle.  I had been cheering on 'Death of the Wild' but with all the sky exploration, the game isn't looking as dark or grim as I had been anticipating, and such a name may no longer fit. Whatever its called though, I can't wait to find out, as it's looking fantastic. 

Haven’t seen the whole thing. Botw2 looks fantastic can’t wait for it. With there was more Zelda stuff announced though. I’m sure we will get a Zelda direct before the year is out. Probably just wanted to focus mainly on slyward sword atm.

Anyone feel like we’re gonna get a loft wing to fly around on in botw2? All those sky islands just scream for it. Skyward Sword HD release just in time to promote hype for it. Even that scene we see of Link falling is similar to one in Skyward Sword.

27 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Anyone feel like we’re gonna get a loft wing to fly around on in botw2? All those sky islands just scream for it. Skyward Sword HD release just in time to promote hype for it. Even that scene we see of Link falling is similar to one in Skyward Sword.

The loft wings were all over BotW, on columns and wall carvings, I was surprised they didn't have a role in it.

So I've been playing red dead 2 story, most of the way through, and Ive adored every minute of it, but what really makes it for me? 

Main dudes Arthur Morgan. Sometimes, people just call him Morgan. Every time I'm like "Hey, dat me!", really helps my immersion. 

28 minutes ago, Cum said:

RDR 2 is great but near the end it starts to slog on. This video does a great job breaking down some of the issues of the game

I usually love deep dive criticisms, but I'll wait til I'm finished.

I'm on Chapter 6 and genuinely I don't want it to end. I've enjoyed it being so huge. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kay said:

I usually love deep dive criticisms, but I'll wait til I'm finished.

I'm on Chapter 6 and genuinely I don't want it to end. I've enjoyed it being so huge. 

Yeah definitely watch it after you're done, that's what I did as well. Otherwise you'll probably notice the flaws more as you play it. It's a great game and one of the most engaging storylines/immersion, but I hope Rockstar takes note of some of these criticisms, especially the handholding aspects of the game. 

6 minutes ago, Cum said:

Yeah definitely watch it after you're done, that's what I did as well. Otherwise you'll probably notice the flaws more as you play it. It's a great game and one of the most engaging storylines/immersion, but I hope Rockstar takes note of some of these criticisms, especially the handholding aspects of the game. 

I mean Rockstar have so many flaws there's a few others I'd prefer they address lol. They're customer service is appalling as are their stress on devs. 

On 6/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, Cum said:

I don’t think the Switch remaster got the bump up to 60FPS that the other consoles received. It also has poor audio quality that can be jarring at times.

Such a great game though, it’s in my top 3 for best games of the last decade or so. The DLC is insanely hard, the bosses are ridiculous.

You’ll notice that the game is difficult but fair. You learn a lot from your mistakes and how in depth the combat is. It’s pretty rare that the game feels cheap or unfair.

It's not the worst, but yeah, I didn't really understand why it's still stuck at 30FPS. It's not a deal breaker at all, but it just seems odd?

Here is a mini rant, Anyway, I don't know if I consider this game "fair" as I die a lot because the game is overt with how harsh and seemingly obtuse it can be. I get that it doesn't want to spell everything out to you, but I also feel like the game is literally just fucking with you. For example, a boss fight can come down to you just being up in its ass hacking away while dodging, blocking, etc, and using the game's own programming quirks against it. Well, they make it pretty clear they want you looking at some grotesque monster's nasty ass while you take advantage of this. That's one of the more overt thing i've witnessed. Also, the game is not great at telling you what is the logical direction you should go in. I find myself feeling like I waste more time trying to actually understand the game rather than playing it. It's not really that hard, it's just rhythm and knowing what to do, and knowing what to do is the only thing this has going for it in terms of actual difficulty. the actual fighting isn't really ... fun despite how "deep" the combat may be. I also think left in a vacuum, people wouldn't be into this game as it really does not spell out it's own mechanics very well or again, and again is very obtuse. After 20+ hours of playing it, I just started asking friends and looking up things to get me through. I kind of hate that. It's a game for gamers for sure but the kind that feels like they made it that way to give people who probably play too many games some kind of challenge. I know I am not saying anything remotely new, but the game seems to have a spell over a lot of people and I don't really get why. To each their own I guess... 

Also, I noticed some strange happenings. Like if I restart in certain places, the CPU will know I'm coming through a door randomly. Like 96% it will not notice me until I show myself but occasionally it is waiting for me and gets the upper hand. Why this is, I am not sure. Might just be the way the game is, but I found that funny, as if to say the game is tired you having the upper hand in this scenario.

6 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

It's not the worst, but yeah, I didn't really understand why it's still stuck at 30FPS. It's not a deal breaker at all, but it just seems odd?

Here is a mini rant, Anyway, I don't know if I consider this game "fair" as I die a lot because the game is overt with how harsh and seemingly obtuse it can be. I get that it doesn't want to spell everything out to you, but I also feel like the game is literally just fucking with you. For example, a boss fight can come down to you just being up in its ass hacking away while dodging, blocking, etc, and using the game's own programming quirks against it. Well, they make it pretty clear they want you looking at some grotesque monster's nasty ass while you take advantage of this. That's one of the more overt thing i've witnessed. Also, the game is not great at telling you what is the logical direction you should go in. I find myself feeling like I waste more time trying to actually understand the game rather than playing it. It's not really that hard, it's just rhythm and knowing what to do, and knowing what to do is the only thing this has going for it in terms of actual difficulty. the actual fighting isn't really ... fun despite how "deep" the combat may be. I also think left in a vacuum, people wouldn't be into this game as it really does not spell out it's own mechanics very well or again, and again is very obtuse. After 20+ hours of playing it, I just started asking friends and looking up things to get me through. I kind of hate that. It's a game for gamers for sure but the kind that feels like they made it that way to give people who probably play too many games some kind of challenge. I know I am not saying anything remotely new, but the game seems to have a spell over a lot of people and I don't really get why. To each their own I guess... 

Also, I noticed some strange happenings. Like if I restart in certain places, the CPU will know I'm coming through a door randomly. Like 96% it will not notice me until I show myself but occasionally it is waiting for me and gets the upper hand. Why this is, I am not sure. Might just be the way the game is, but I found that funny, as if to say the game is tired you having the upper hand in this scenario.

Most of this is fair but I can’t say I’ve encountered all of these issues. Agreed about needing to look stuff up though, I did that a fair amount. I like it because it’s the first game I’ve played in ages that feels like the old school games of the SNES era that were actually challenging and rewarding. It’s pretty satisfying to beat a boss you have been stuck on for a while. 

One of the main strengths is how intricate and interconnected the map is for the first half of the game. Everyone bitched about a Blight town (worse in the original than the remaster), but I seriously hated the giant skeleton part in the dark as well as the roof tops part with the archers with giant arrows, fuck those guys. How far have you gotten?

On 6/19/2021 at 2:04 PM, Cum said:

RDR 2 is great but near the end it starts to slog on. This video does a great job breaking down some of the issues of the game

I got bored really quickly with it. The same happened with the first one and GTA V, sometimes there's just too much to do. I enjoy the open world stuff but I sometimes like the more linear games. 

• Like 2