Video Games Thread

dildo69er

Been playing Skyward Sword on the Switch, and the controls are still really weird tbh, but I got used to them after a couple hours and I'm actually enjoying this so much more than the Wii version. I tried playing the Wii version again a few years back and it just felt so tedious and boring, but I'm really enjoying it on the Switch, so that's cool!

And yeah, as much as I think I want a super realistic looking Zelda game, I know that The Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild are all going to age so much nicer than any game that tries to look real. Twilight Princess doesn't look bad necessarily, but it certainly hasn't held up as well as The Wind Waker or Skyward Sword, because it tried to look more realistic.

Just picked up Spiritfarer at 50% off for Switch. Apparently it's like Animal Crossing + platforming with a storyline/campaign, so that's cool. I just really enjoy indie games that get good feedback so I'm sure I'll dig it.

Also trying to make my way through my backlog. Almost done THPS 1+2 - got about 90% done the first and 70% done the second. Also playing Divinity Original Sin 2 as a ranger and South Park: the Fractured but Whole. 

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Knights of the Old Republic remake announced for PS5.

fuck yes. Never played the original but have always wanted too since everybody says it’s the best Star Wars game story.

That just sold me on a PS5 over Xbox. It helps offset Microsoft buying Bethesda. Haven't gone Sony since PS2 so the backlog will be insane. 

The thing that stood out most for me when playing it was the storyline, weight of your choices and quality of writing, and lots of extra explorable stuff that is worth checking out. One of the rare games I've played back-to-back to see both sides of the Force. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shit Poster said:

That just sold me on a PS5 over Xbox. It helps offset Microsoft buying Bethesda. Haven't gone Sony since PS2 so the backlog will be insane. 

The thing that stood out most for me when playing it was the storyline, weight of your choices and quality of writing, and lots of extra explorable stuff that is worth checking out. One of the rare games I've played back-to-back to see both sides of the Force. 

Apparently it’s a launch exclusive so will likely eventually come to Xbox/PC. No idea when though.

4 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Knights of the Old Republic remake announced for PS5.

fuck yes. Never played the original but have always wanted too since everybody says it’s the best Star Wars game story.

Not a star wars person but I've heard so much good about that game that I'd consider getting it. 

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Apparently it’s a launch exclusive so will likely eventually come to Xbox/PC. No idea when though.

Eh I’ll still go PS5 just cause this helps the RPG genre slot on its own. I was worried about missing out on Elder Scrolls and Fallout but KOTOR reigns supreme. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shit Poster said:

Eh I’ll still go PS5 just cause this helps the RPG genre slot on its own. I was worried about missing out on Elder Scrolls and Fallout but KOTOR reigns supreme. 

Ps5 is for sick Cunts anyway. Only dweebs go for Xbox.

• Haha 1

Knights of the Old Republic still holds up in terms of fun and story, but it definitely feels dated now. I just replayed it a year or two ago and it was still great fun but it definitely shows its age, similarly to how something like the original Final Fantasy feels playing it today. It's clunky and ugly. I wonder how different the remake will be, if it will be an entirely different experience like FF7 Remake or the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes, or if it will just be a better looking more modernized version of essentially the exact same game, like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Either way, I can't wait for it!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 12:01 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

Started playing Knights of the Old Republic again for the first time in over ten years. I got pretty far when it was new but I never actually finished it. It's pretty fun! Maybe too much talking though. A lot of the game is just watching/listening to people talking to the screen like it's The Office. I like the lore and I'm definitely into it but actual gameplay wise it's not the greatest. I don't love western RPGs in general. JRPGs are where it's at.

this was what I thought of KOTOR the last time I played it. Yeah, I still mostly agree with this. I was really into it for the story but gameplay wasn't the greatest. So I kind of hope it gets more of an overhaul than just good graphics.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:19 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

this was what I thought of KOTOR the last time I played it. Yeah, I still mostly agree with this. I was really into it for the story but gameplay wasn't the greatest. So I kind of hope it gets more of an overhaul than just good graphics.

I always liked Jedi Outcast better than Kotor.  Especially the online multiplayer.  Idk if anyone knows about Power Battles, but it was a full online mod for Jedi Outcast and Kotor that was the best online experience I think I've ever played. It was like halo online, but for star wars, but fully customizable and great team battle gameplay although difficult.

Just finished A Way Out.  Damn, that was the best co up game in a while I've played.  It's narrative heavy but you really do get drawn in and it's a blast at much of of the action/camera trick sequences.  It really felt more like a good movie you got to interact with. Ending got me.

21 hours ago, Shit Poster said:

My favourite Star Wars games are KOTOR, Battlefront 2 (older one), and Republic Commando.

I haven’t played a lot of the other good ones like Galaxies, Fallen Order, Squadrons, the Force Awakens, or Emperor at War.

Man star wars games are such a past time for me might just be a thread of its own. There's so many good games.

my-image-2.png

Here's my rankings of ones I can remember enough of.

Jedi Knight/Jedi Academy and Battlefront 2 were by far the most memorable and hours played.  Power Battles is underrated, one of the best co-ops I've ever played.

Ep. 3 was pretty solid actually, shadows of the empire was great for the old school games and didn't play enough KOTOR to fanboy out over it.

• Like 1