Video Games Thread

dildo69er

17 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I understand that's why people are upset.  But as I was saying, Rockstar is huge, they undeniably have had a large team quietly working away on GTA 6 for a long time while another team continues to work on 5 rereleases and Online.  I REALLY don't think 6 has been delayed in any major way despite how much 5/Online has indeed continued to be milked.

the tiny snippets from the inside suggest they've barely started on it if at all, I think that adds fuel to the concern. 

9 hours ago, Speedo said:

You guys play GTA for the story?!

GTA V's story was amazing, one of my favourite video games from a story perspective, online however is just a fucking shambles full of kids buying shark cards to buy flying bikes. GTA 4 had two different story DLCs and they just didn't bother with V, instead focusing on an incredibly shallow online experience. 

Same goes for Red Dead, the first one had Undead Nightmare, and Red Dead 2 has all this amazing story and then... nothing. but they tacked on an even shallower online experience that actually could have been good but mostly ignore it to focus on the cash cow that is GTA Online. 

9 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

It’s because going from three games per console generation to one game over three console generations is stupid

Precisely. 

I'm not GTA's biggest fan (I actually prefer Bully, The Warriors, and Red Dead to the GTA franchise when it comes to Rockstar properties) but there's many reasons why people are bummed.

I couldn't give a shit about the remasters either, most remasters aren't worth the faff. 

17 hours ago, Kay said:

the tiny snippets from the inside suggest they've barely started on it if at all, I think that adds fuel to the concern. 

Rockstar confirmed over a year ago that they've been working away on GTA 6 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/gta-6-confirmed-grand-theft-auto-size-map/amp/

Furthermore, they were under big scrutiny for the amount of crunch they put their workers on, with many reporting having worked 100 hour weeks on RDR2.  Undoubtedly that won't be happening again, so that will influence all the more how much longer the game will take to make.

16 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

It’s because going from three games per console generation to one game over three console generations is stupid

Come on now, to think that Rockstar could churn out 3 GTA 5 level games in the same amount of time (or even remotely close amount of time) as 3 GTA 3 games is ridiculous. 

Hell look how the script alone of how 4 compares to 3:

gta-iii-and-iv-script-comparison.jpg

And that's just the script, never mind all the extra time put in for the massive step up in graphics and detail. Might as well be asking why we don't get 3D Mario games at the same rate as the NES saw 2D Mario games. They're completely different beasts.

And again, compound all of that with how they're trying to avoid massive work weeks and have normal 40 hour weeks (less than half as long per week that employees worked on RDR2) and there is no mystery on why this game is gonna be awhile. If we get a new Rockstar game on the scale of GTA 5 or RDR2 every 5 years at this point, we should consider ourselves lucky.

5 minutes ago, A Bun With No Patent said:

NBA Jam is an iconic video game.  It's not only NBA related.  Best selling arcade game at the time.

So, perhaps it would be better suited in the video game thread instead of the NBA thread? I'm just saying, without order there is chaos.

30 minutes ago, NeverOliver said:

I haven't given it much of a chance yet, but super underwhelmed by Back 4 Blood

The demo sucked, Im a huge left 4 dead fan and it just felt like “if left for dead was really boring”

25 minutes ago, Kay said:

The demo sucked, Im a huge left 4 dead fan and it just felt like “if left for dead was really boring”

I'm having a hard time reconciling the cards, coins and collecting of things. Also can you only do online campaigns? I just want to kill some zombies with AI partners, I dont need everything else.

8 hours ago, NeverOliver said:

I'm having a hard time reconciling the cards, coins and collecting of things. Also can you only do online campaigns? I just want to kill some zombies with AI partners, I dont need everything else.

Yeah it seemed convoluted and counterintuitive to me too. 

I have a feeling I’m gonna end up buying an Xbox this generation as well. Nearly bitten the bullet a few times already. Had one in the cart but ultimately decided against it for now.

Definitely don’t want to miss out on Elder Scrolls 6 and gamepass does look pretty cool.

Probably unnecessary to have both a PS5 and a Series X but fuck it. I wouldn’t mind having access to all the games this generation and building/buying a pc is just ridiculous at the current prices.

• Like 1