Video Games Thread

dildo69er

16 hours ago, Kay said:

Chapter 2 is my favourite to be fair. Spend as much time with the gang as you can, I’ve played through it fully twice and still missed loads of little bits. 

Yeah, it's the last hurrah of the gang. New Hanover is just such a chill part of the map. God...the map, it's undefeated.

Also, not sure if it's because I played the first one but - God, it's so obvious that 

Spoiler

Dutch is a narcissistic piece of shit from the get-go. He can't take constructive criticism of his plans. His lavish tent etc. I might write about it, he meets all the hallmarks of a textbook narcissist. However, a small part of me still manages to like him. I guess that's just an extremely well done character

7 hours ago, _Bagel said:

Yeah, it's the last hurrah of the gang. New Hanover is just such a chill part of the map. God...the map, it's undefeated.

Also, not sure if it's because I played the first one but - God, it's so obvious that 

Hide contents

Dutch is a narcissistic piece of shit from the get-go. He can't take constructive criticism of his plans. His lavish tent etc. I might write about it, he meets all the hallmarks of a textbook narcissist. However, a small part of me still manages to like him. I guess that's just an extremely well done character

Spoiler

He is so well executed. He’s definitely questionable and a little power mad from the start but his unraveling through the story is so gently done. There’s a conversation he has with Lenny in chapter 2 about that Miller book that is a highlight for me, not sure if you’ve seen that yet.

On 9/17/2022 at 10:43 PM, Russel Coight said:

I got bored of it too. I played it for quite a while and it’s probably my own fault for trying to do everything and then getting burnt out. But I never managed to finish it. Even tried picking it up again recently and did a few missions before dropping it again.

I've found this with playing Zelda: BOTW - just cannot get into it, had moments of enjoyment but kind of got burnt out by the same old trapsing across an open world to try and figure out a shrine puzzle.

RD:R2 is fucking great, one of those games where you feel like you're actually in a real and breathing world. Feel like I need to replay it at some point. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I've found this with playing Zelda: BOTW - just cannot get into it, had moments of enjoyment but kind of got burnt out by the same old trapsing across an open world to try and figure out a shrine puzzle.

RD:R2 is fucking great, one of those games where you feel like you're actually in a real and breathing world. Feel like I need to replay it at some point. 

I’ve done two full playthroughs and I still missed shit loads. Like the ghost train!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Playing FF7 Remake: Intergrade (PS5). It’s my first Final Fantasy game I’ve ever played. I’m about two hours into it and don’t really know what to think.

-the dialogue and voiceovers can be super cheesy/campy and I don’t know if it’s intentional;

-the gameplay feels pretty hack and slash with some RPG elements (commands for spells) - not sure if that will get repetitive after a while;

-the RPG elements (in terms of gear/equipment/stats/abilities) seem pretty basic, but I’m hoping that’s because I’m only on the 3rd Chapter:

-the graphics are great and the storyline is intriguing, seems promising on its critique of capitalism/industrialism.

• 2 weeks later...

Just played through the FF7 remake and the Yuffie DLC. I never had much of a connection to the original but I really enjoyed the remake, I often struggle with the difficulty level of Final Fantasy games but it always felt fair and balanced, and the combat system was snappy and always fun.

Probably not going to start anything new now since the new God of War comes out in like a week, definitely playing that release day.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 2:40 AM, _Bagel said:

Only four years late to the party but playing through RDR2. In terms of a thoughtful game, these shit all over GTA. Rarely am I ever content to just exist in a game-world with no real plans. The views, nature, random events and NPC's - this game world is so vivid and alive. Not to mention Arthur Morgan, in spite of his tremendously high body count (maybe both ways) is a cute guy beneath the murdering and debt collecting.

Man I only just got through RDR2 a month or so ago. Started it a couple of times over the last few years and gave up like 5-10 hours in since it was so slow, really glad I stuck with it this time 'cause it really is a masterpiece.

• Love 1

40 minutes ago, Dean said:

Man I only just got through RDR2 a month or so ago. Started it a couple of times over the last few years and gave up like 5-10 hours in since it was so slow, really glad I stuck with it this time 'cause it really is a masterpiece.

yeah - it really requires some patience, it has that slow burn feel of a novel. Honestly - it is a book in my eyes. Glad we both persevered. Red Dead > GTA. Rockstar’s best IP by far 

• Like 1

I think the problem I had and probably a lot of other people had was looking for "GTA with cowboys". While it has that Rockstar DNA throughout it's really nothing like GTA. Masterfully told story.

I just wish there was a way I could play RDR1, never touched it and no way to play it on modern consoles. Could try emulating it I guess but I'd be surprised if that goes well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dean said:

I think the problem I had and probably a lot of other people had was looking for "GTA with cowboys". While it has that Rockstar DNA throughout it's really nothing like GTA. Masterfully told story.

I just wish there was a way I could play RDR1, never touched it and no way to play it on modern consoles. Could try emulating it I guess but I'd be surprised if that goes well.

Yeah - mission structure/shooting mechanics are the same, that's about it. I feel like the world was so much more reactive than any GTA game I played. 

Ah man - sorry to hear. Have you got a Series X? I can see it on the Xbox store. Yeah, emulating shit is beyond me - tread carefully my friend

4 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

Yeah - mission structure/shooting mechanics are the same, that's about it. I feel like the world was so much more reactive than any GTA game I played. 

Ah man - sorry to hear. Have you got a Series X? I can see it on the Xbox store. Yeah, emulating shit is beyond me - tread carefully my friend

Nah I was always a Playstation guy but switched to PC-only gaming years and years ago until I bought back into consoles with the PS5. Might just need to borrow my brothers PS3 some time.

33 minutes ago, Dean said:

Nah I was always a Playstation guy but switched to PC-only gaming years and years ago until I bought back into consoles with the PS5. Might just need to borrow my brothers PS3 some time.

You got a ps5? Pretty good aye. What’s your ps username thing? We can be friends.

3 minutes ago, Dean said:

Yeah dude I was lucky enough to get one in the very first round of preorders so I've had it for a while now, love it. I'm bubblesnout

Yeah nice so did I. Was at work and saw the preorders went up early here so fucked off to the dunny so I could get one with no distractions lol.

Sweet I’ll give ya an add when I get home.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, King of the Weekend said:

Cyberpunk 2077 is 83% off right now - comes to basically $10 Canadian. Going to check this one out, hopefully has had enough updates to run well on PS5 although I’ve heard the AI kind of sucks. 

Edit never mind - it was an Amazon deal that sold out. Fuuuu

I wouldn’t be surprised if a copy shows up at my house this week. Anytime there is a huge sale, we get new games. Far too many games, but only a few he ever pays full price for. 

On 11/2/2022 at 5:55 AM, King of the Weekend said:

Cyberpunk 2077 is 83% off right now - comes to basically $10 Canadian. Going to check this one out, hopefully has had enough updates to run well on PS5 although I’ve heard the AI kind of sucks. 

Edit never mind - it was an Amazon deal that sold out. Fuuuu

I’ve been playing the ps5 version lately and haven’t noticed any game breaking bugs or anything all that minor at all. Seems like they ironed out the kinks. It’s still just an okay game though imo.

• Like 1