Video Games Thread

dildo69er

9 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

New Pokémon games are pretty sweet been playing the leak for about a week now. Open world is such an improvement for these games. Definitely needs some improvements buts it’s not a bad effort from gamefreak at all.

didn't even know they were open world. I haven't played or been interested in anything past generation 2 (except for remakes of the first two gens lol) but open world does sound interesting. I'm kind of interested in Arceus too. But I have so many other games I also want to play so who knows if I'll ever try any of these.

Loving Let's Go Pikachu though. Except I HATE that you can't play with a regular controller when it's docked. I've been playing in handheld the whole time because it's the only way the controls don't drive me insane. I thought Nintendo was done with the shitty forced gimmick controls after the Wii and DS.

5 hours ago, Dean said:

I'm tempted to get it at some point, though I've not played a Pokemon game that hasn't disappointed me in some way since the old days. Sounds like there's a little more variation in these ones so might give them a go.

They're great fun but definitely some disappointing bits. Mainly being that despite the game being fully open world so you can battle gyms and do all other tasks in any order there is no level scaling. So if you wanted to go to the "last" gym first  for example you'd have to grind for days to be strong enough to beat it but then you'd completely steamroll the rest of the game. That's easily the worst part.

4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

didn't even know they were open world. I haven't played or been interested in anything past generation 2 (except for remakes of the first two gens lol) but open world does sound interesting. I'm kind of interested in Arceus too. But I have so many other games I also want to play so who knows if I'll ever try any of these.

Loving Let's Go Pikachu though. Except I HATE that you can't play with a regular controller when it's docked. I've been playing in handheld the whole time because it's the only way the controls don't drive me insane. I thought Nintendo was done with the shitty forced gimmick controls after the Wii and DS.

The open world is great! its seriously fun just running around and getting lost but as i said to Dean above it's kinda ruined by there still being technically a linear path you should follow. You can do groups in any order like 1 or 2 or 3 in any order and then 4 or 5 or 6 etc. But you are limited by there being no scaling.

Yeah the lets go controls sucked. Even hackers couldn't work out how to change it. I never played it docked because of that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Also voice acting. Gamefreak needs to get their shit together and add voices to the game. It’s so fucking awkward having everyone be silent whilst their mouths are moving and text is scrolling. Surely they can afford it.

It’s weird to me that they’ve given Pikachu it’s anime voice in the games but none of the other pokemon. Let’s Go has anime Pikachu and every other Pokémon is making Gameboy sounds. I don’t mind the gameboy sounds, but it’s odd. All of the Pokémon have voices in the shows, not just Pikachu. Probably just don’t want to pay any voice actors.

I guess now that I think about it they literally did that exact same thing in Yellow Version so as a tribute to that it’s less weird. Though with Yellow/Let’s Go Pikachu it’s full of TV show characters like Jessie and James and Brock and Misty etc… It would be so easy to get voice actors to play the parts. You don’t even have to lip sync it.

9 hours ago, Dean said:

I'm really enjoying Ragnarok so far (about 10 hours in) but I don't disagree with you, as far as game mechanics go there's nothing groundbreakingly new about it. It's been long enough since I played the 2018 game that I'm perfectly happy with just being thrust back into that world again but I do hope something new is introduced to change things up a bit soon.

One thing that definitely bugs me is the hand-holding, you spend 30 seconds in a new area checking around to get your bearings and Atreus is already flat out telling you where you have to go or what you have to do. With the impressive number of settings available I was really hoping you could turn these comments off but haven't been able to find anything.

yeah, still a good game - but not sure it warrants the reviews/game of the year stuff. Just feels like i'm playing the 2018 game again - feels very monotonous. 

The hand holding is annoying i agree and some of the puzzles are frustrating. Might pick it up later today and carry on - but not getting that excitement i got when playing Elden Ring for example.  

I really miss chaining combos on hoards of enemies too - something i loved about the old GoW games - here, its like you can only have 4 enemies max on the screen to keep the framerate up or something. 

3 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

new pokemon game looks like a mess based on all the viral tweets of glitches I'm seeing lol. Looks entertaining still, but partially for the wrong reasons.

It’s weird cause I’ve played about 40 hours of it and have barely encountered any glitches at all. Makes me wonder if all these people are just playing the 1.0.0 version and didn’t get the update.

2 hours ago, King of the Long Weekend said:

Game Freak are a trash developer who recycle the same games over and over because the fan base will eat up any shit they put out. 

While true for the most part they’ve definitely started trying different things. Legends Arceus and Scarlet/Violet are totally different to what the standard Pokémon experience has been.

A lot of the blame needs to fall on TPCi and them forcing a game every 12 months. If given a bit more time to develop things I think Gamefreak could pull off something much better.

How much is everyone into The Elder Scrolls? I've always loved the games but lately I've taken a deep dive into the lore and wow. It's unlike anything else, it's purposefully unclear and up for interpretation. 

Are the two moons actually the body of the dead god Lorkhan? Did the dwarves disappear because they realised they were figments of a god's dream? Was Talos actually a bit of a wanker?

I've never really seen an approach, the in-game books obfuscate all the points further. I like

2 hours ago, _Bagel said:

How much is everyone into The Elder Scrolls? I've always loved the games but lately I've taken a deep dive into the lore and wow. It's unlike anything else, it's purposefully unclear and up for interpretation. 

Are the two moons actually the body of the dead god Lorkhan? Did the dwarves disappear because they realised they were figments of a god's dream? Was Talos actually a bit of a wanker?

I've never really seen an approach, the in-game books obfuscate all the points further. I like

Whenever I think of bothering to read into the lore, I think of this -

30 minutes ago, King of the Long Weekend said:

I’m probably in the minority, but I much preferred the storyline of Oblivion to Skyrim. 

Nah - I think a lot of TES fans feel that way. A lot of people jumped on the bandwagon with Skyrim. The guild quests are much more shallow in Skyrim, so's the civil war arc etc. Oblivion had charm and intrigue.

Also, I love how hideous everyone is in Oblivion. Only bore are the Oblivion gates after the 7th time of asking

1 hour ago, _Bagel said:

Nah - I think a lot of TES fans feel that way. A lot of people jumped on the bandwagon with Skyrim. The guild quests are much more shallow in Skyrim, so's the civil war arc etc. Oblivion had charm and intrigue.

Also, I love how hideous everyone is in Oblivion. Only bore are the Oblivion gates after the 7th time of asking

Haha yea the character models and that weird/frightening thing where the camera would quickly zoom up to their face were questionable decisions. I would be leaving town, embarking on a quest, and the zoom thing would happen out of nowhere and scare me more than most horror games do.

You nailed it though, the guilds were way better. So many standout quests. Loved the one where you need to stealthily murder everyone in that mansion. And Leonard freakin Nemoy. I hope we get a remaster as I’d be happy to pay full price for that. 

8 minutes ago, King of the Long Weekend said:

Haha yea the character models and that weird/frightening thing where the camera would quickly zoom up to their face were questionable decisions. I would be leaving town, embarking on a quest, and the zoom thing would happen out of nowhere and scare me more than most horror games do.

You nailed it though, the guilds were way better. So many standout quests. Loved the one where you need to stealthily murder everyone in that mansion. And Leonard freakin Nemoy. I hope we get a remaster as I’d be happy to pay full price for that. 

STOP, CRIMINAL SCUM! Same voice actor voicing like 300 characters . Hahaha, that's the charm right there. Also, the cities were waaaay more expansive. Like compare Skingrad to somewhere like Morthal, night and day.

Yeah, poison apples - the way forward.  Hhaha 'You...You are the one from my dreams'. Alright there Uriel

4 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I’ve only ever played Skyrim but I enjoyed that a lot. Is the gameplay similar across all the games?

I'd say oblivion might be too old now to have a good time with, unless you can mod it. I tried it over lockdown and just couldn't get much out of it anymore, that might be on me though. Skyrim combat is heavily improved over Oblivion, but then there are more RPG elements in Oblivion - just depends what you like my man.

Wonder what Starfield will be like

• Haha 1