Video Games Thread

dildo69er

44 minutes ago, Maddey said:

Yeah I think it looks interesting! 

I think even if it’s just an OK game getting to explore an open world Hogwarts will be pretty awesome.

27 minutes ago, Worst poster here said:

I’ll buy it after the reviews drop. The embargo is pretty early so the dev must feel confident that it’s a great game. It also isn’t multiplayer, so we don’t need to worry about servers or the game being unplayable at launch. 

If you preorder the deluxe edition you get to play 72 hours early and the embargo lifts the day before that. So it’s kind of a day before a lot of people will play it.

That being said giving a bunch of players 72 early access and the fact they flew out 1000 streamers/industry people to play the game a week ago does show a lot of confidence.

7 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Other M I haven't played, but I did like Star Fox Zero a lot. The controls are kind of cool, but also kind are a drag. The gimmick was obviously a no-go for so many people and I get why. It's a learning curve that if you're not willing to try (and I get why not) it's going to be unplayable. I think by this point Nintendo had just moved on and was willing to release it hoping people would get a kick out of it. 

Now, say they do it with VR. I could be into that. 

I played through the whole game and even at the end I was still struggling with the controls. It’s like Skyward Sword on the Wii. I beat the game but I hated the controls the entire time. Luckily it was actually improved quite a bit on the Switch version. They should rerelease more of their Wii/Wii U games without motion controls lol. Though Star Fox might not work because you needed two screens for that one.

• Like 1

Has anyone played the new Monkey Island game? It's called Return To Monkey Island and, for the first time since Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge (back in 1992), Ron Gilbert and David Grossman are in charge of the project.

I played it back in september, when it was released, and I liked it a lot. I think they did an amazing job creating this game and being able to continue the story (explaining Le Chuck's Revenge ambiguous ending) and respecting the rest of the saga, even if they were not involved in Curse, Escape and Tales of Monkey Island. It's been really nice to revisit Melêe Island. Funny enoguh, we now have three different iterations of that place: Melêe Island in the original game, then she special edition of the original game and now Return).

I'd be curious to see what someone else thinks about Return To Monkey Island and, specially, its ending.

Finished Metroid Other M. Meh, 6/10. Was fun sometimes, frustrating a lot of the time. Though I do like the concept of a 3rd person 3D Metroid game. It could be done well. There’s a great game buried in here somewhere. I doubt they’ll ever make another Metroid like this but I’d honestly be happy if they did.

Since this was a more story-focused Metroid, I’d always heard that the story was terrible. I didn’t think so. It was actually pretty fun to hear Samus talking and being more of an actual person rather than a silent protagonist. Kind of cool.

Not a great game but I’d love for them to try making another Metroid like this with a normal controller.

Though I’d rather get a proper Metroid 6, a follow up to Dread. Dread was so fun.

6 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

you think they'll announce M4troid Prime next week proper?

I want them to but I have so little hope for getting any Prime 4 news anymore lol. 

I still need to play 2 and 3. I have the whole trilogy but I’ve only played through the first one. I started 2 but got distracted and never went back to it. I loved the first and what I played of the second one though.

I’m getting hyped for Resident Evil 4 remake. RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

i am a coward with resident evil. the newer ones anyway. very scary. takes me a few years to get up the gumption to play them. RE 2 was amazing though. 

I’ve really only played 4 and 5 and a good chunk of the first game. I’ve been curious about the rest of the series but I guess not curious enough to actually play any of them yet. But I really want to play RE 2 and 3 remakes because they look like RE4.

I played RE4 on the Wii and those were the best use of the motion controls that I can recall. I’ll definitely get the remake. 

I’m about 10 hours into the RE2 remake (just left the police department) but haven’t played it in a few months. Will get back to it and try to play RE3 remake before 4 launches as well.

I just got Subnautica for $5, excited to give that a whirl. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Worst poster here said:

I played RE4 on the Wii and those were the best use of the motion controls that I can recall. I’ll definitely get the remake. 

I agree, it’s one of the only uses of motion controls that I like. Makes me wish there were more Resident Evil games on the Wii. Though I guess back then 4 was the only game in the series with that style of gameplay.

• Like 1

I’ll wait a month or two and buy it off FB Marketplace for 50% the price. Once you get over the FOMO aspect, this is the way to go to save lots of cash. Seems like a fun game with a few performance issues that likely get patched.

Lots of great games coming out this year though. I’m most excited for Atomic Heart, RE4 remake, System Shock remake, Zelda, Diablo 4, Spider-Man 2, and Hollow Knight: Silksong. 

Sons of the Forest and STALKER also look really cool, but I don’t have a gaming PC/Xbox. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Worst poster here said:

I’ll wait a month or two and buy it off FB Marketplace for 50% the price. Once you get over the FOMO aspect, this is the way to go to save lots of cash. Seems like a fun game with a few performance issues that likely get patched.

People are stingier here lol you might see $20 off 6 months down the line unless the game is crap. You’d be waiting 2 years for it to be half price. 

I got nothing else to play atm so i’m happy spending the bit extra to play it now.

15 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

People are stingier here lol you might see $20 off 6 months down the line unless the game is crap. You’d be waiting 2 years for it to be half price. 

I got nothing else to play atm so i’m happy spending the bit extra to play it now.

I include taxes as well. I got Elden Ring for like $50 a couple months after launch (and then re-sold it for $50 lol). Usually games retail around $80 + 12% tax. 

15 minutes ago, Worst poster here said:

I include taxes as well. I got Elden Ring for like $50 a couple months after launch (and then re-sold it for $50 lol). Usually games retail around $80 + 12% tax. 

Taxes are just included in the sale price here. PS5 games are exxy. GoW Ragnarok base is selling for $109 and someone is selling it for $90 on marketplace.

Most shops do launch price though so I got the Deluxe Hogwarts for $99 from the same place as above so buying it right away is a saving in itself.

2 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

Taxes are just included in the sale price here. PS5 games are exxy. GoW Ragnarok base is selling for $109 and someone is selling it for $90 on marketplace.

Most shops do launch price though so I got the Deluxe Hogwarts for $99 from the same place as above so buying it right away is a saving in itself.

I’d probably still wait to save $20 (or try to haggle them down to at least $80). I’ve become really frugal though with interest rates, inflation, etc increasing. I don’t have the same excitement and FOMO for new games that I used to, probably just because of having less free time and fatigue from an over saturated market.