Video Games Thread

dildo69er

10 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

it was a sequel bro

I would love if they remade the seasons/ages games and combined them into one. 

They really need to give all the 2d games the Links Awakening treatment. Seems like a no brained. The chibi art was cool.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Worst poster here said:

Yes and no. It used the same map, but the dungeons/bosses were new, you bought your items/weapons and could complete dungeons in any order you wanted, it included a new gameplay mechanic that made for new puzzles (hieroglyphic on the wall), and there were extra side quests/features in collecting stuff, upgrading your sword, and a tower where you fight off hordes of increasingly difficult enemies. It also had multiple difficulty modes and made use of the 3D technology like when you could see multiple floors of dungeons. 

Sounds fun. Don’t think I ever actually finished lttp either tbh.

5 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

They really need to give all the 2d games the Links Awakening treatment. Seems like a no brained. The chibi art was cool.

Doesn't seem like that would involve nearly as much as redoing say Ocarina of Time. I don't know jack about it, but it sure brought that game to life in a cool way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Doesn't seem like that would involve nearly as much as redoing say Ocarina of Time. I don't know jack about it, but it sure brought that game to life in a cool way.

If they just reused the models half the work is done, would definitely make playing those old games a lot better.

I have 55 games in my Steam library and I've only played 10 of them looooooollllllll

I hate playing games on a computer but I got some amazing deals on super cheap games over the past decade... that will of course only have been worth it if I ever actually play them haha

some of them I've played on other consoles though.

Have ya other zelda nerds seen this guy MajorLink’s series called «Hero’s Purpose» on youtube?? He’s made a SICK animation series based on OOT Link, set after MM, and it captures the OOT vibe in such a perfect way. I’m usually not interested in stuff like this but his work is just sooo good 😭

12 hours ago, dildo69er said:

Woo my threads still going. Managed to get a steam deck imported and love it. Look forward to version 2 in a few years. Played hogwarts fully and now playing marvel midnight suns which is way better than expected 

You ripped this thread off my “what are you playing?” thread. The North remembers 

I started the Last of Us Pt 2. God damn the graphics are impressive for a game that’s already a few years old. 

22 minutes ago, Worst poster here said:

I started the Last of Us Pt 2. God damn the graphics are impressive for a game that’s already a few years old. 

It looks so good. People keep calling for a ps5 version but I seriously don’t know how they could improve the graphics much more.

I'm really excited to play Octopath 2. The first one was fun but got too repetitive for me, with each chapter of the game being essentially the same thing over and over again. From what I've heard they've addressed that in the sequel, which would pretty much fix the only issue I had with the first game. I love the graphical style too. That's such a cool way to do "retro" style while keeping it modern. It looks so pretty. also the soundtrack for these games kicks ass. Octopath Traveler has one of my favorite video game main themes of all time.

On 2/22/2023 at 2:01 PM, Worst poster here said:

Maybe a hot take, but Link Between Worlds was the best Zelda game of the last decade 

Great game, but BOTW really did change everything for me.  I love the entire Zelda series, its my favorite franchise, and for years my favorite entry was Link's Awakening of all games, Majora's Mask and Windwaker were right up there too though.  But damn if BOTW didn't quickly become my favorite game of all time, let alone Zelda entry.  Can not way for Tears of the Kingdom.

While I'm here geeking out about video games and Nintendo especially (always been a giant Nintendo nerd, and always will be), I've been thinking about lately what the Switch's successor will be.  My money says the successor will come out next year at some point, maybe the spring, more likely the holiday.  Beyond that, I think Nintendo will want to keep the sector of the market they've effectively cornered: the hybrid market.  So my money says, even though Nintendo rarely does so: the follow-up will be a straight-up sequel console: a Switch 2 if you will.

It's not unheard of, the GBA was clearly a sequel system to the Game Boy/Game Boy Color before it, the 3DS was a sequel system to the DS, the Wii U was a sequel system to the Wii, and the SNES, perhaps in name only given the lack of native backwards compatability, was a sequel system to the NES.  Probably fair to call the Wii a sequel system to the GameCube, given both how similar the hardware was and the native backwards compatability.  So I don't think it's crazy to imagine that Nintendo will chase the same dragon again this time.  Hopefully they choose a good name for it, I think a very large part of the Wii U's failure came down to it's terrible name (though that certainly wasn't all of it).

So OK, if the next system is the Switch 2, this is still Nintendo, it's never enough for them to just be a more powerful iteration of the system before, it needs a unique gimmick (the Wii U added dual screen play, the 3DS added glasses-free 3D, the Wii added motion control, etc.).  Here's where my geekiness is going to really shine: I think the Switch 2, in addition to being more powerful, will offer optional glasses-free 3D when played in portable mode like the 3DS, and will offer the ability to pair with a Switch 1 (or another Switch 2) for optional dual screen Wii U-like play, (I mean with already nearly 130 million Switchs out there, it'd be so easy to get Switch 2 owners into a dual screen environment without having to charge extra for some built-in screen controller).  The key is always keeping these gimmicks optional, dual screen can be great in it's own right, but never make it a requirement for any game, likewise for 3D.  I recognize the gimmick I imagine is just pulling from the previous generation systems and pulling those gimmicks into a new Switch, but I do think they both could work for added appeal, especially in a world where we now have hybrid PCs like the Steamdeck moving in on Nintendo's territory, to help make it stand out all the more, and while the 3D effect might cost a little extra for each unit, the ability to pair with another Switch for dual screen play shouldn't affect the price at all.

Just a more powerful switch is really all I want. Don’t need another gimmick. I just love the hybrid portability of the console. With an upgrade in power and memory, it would be really great. Also fix the damn Joy-cons. Eliminate drift and do something about how easily their signal is blocked. I often play with the joycons detached in separate hands, and sometimes simply having my leg up in the way of the controller causes it to not register button presses. And PLEASE include a good D-pad. Nintendo is the company who perfected D-pads and they haven’t had a good one in years. No d-pad on joy cons, and the d-pad on the pro controller sucks.

Console/portable hybrids might be the  future in the coming years, with things like the Steam Deck following in Nintendo’s footsteps. I’d love that. I always prefer sitting on the couch and playing games on my TV, but being able to take the console and play it anywhere is so nice.

1 minute ago, Worst poster here said:

I think Nintendo will have a very innovative/unique take on virtual reality; but it’s probably too early into the technology for them to enter this space given how expensive and hardware heavy it currently is. 

Yes I could see that, but I think it would also be a side venture, a re-introduction into 2 tiers from Nintendo, instead of home console and portable, it'd be hyrbid and VR.  

Granted they could just make an optional VR unit to buy for a new system like PSVR, but I really think that Sony keeps shooting themselves in the foot by making that an additional $500 purchase you have to get on top of the current PlayStation.  It would definitely be a very Nintendo thing to do, to make that a separate device entirely.  Heck, back in the day, they considered the DS a third tier to their gaming, which at the time was: GameCube, GBA, and DS.  They aren't afraid to have more than one device at a time, even though in recent years they merged into one.