Video Games Thread

dildo69er

I don't care about those games. It wasn't an open-ended conversation, I said my piece about the two games I was talking about and that was it.

Look at the thread title, people can reference any games they want to further the discussion.

As for the Nintendo titles mentioned, they might have the same core gameplay and overall premise but the changes they introduce (online play, HD, gameplay mechanics, etc.) keep them more fresh than the majority of other releases. The bare fact that every Nintendo game works and functions properly on day 1 is more than what almost any other blockbuster game can claim nowadays....

I seriously do not understand Nintendo's logic of putting Wii games on Wii U Virtual Console but not GameCube or N64 games. First of all, the Wii U is backwards compatible so I can already play regular Wii games on it. I can't play Gamecube or N64 though. And that's what confuses me even more. Nintendo 64 games are available on the regular Wii Virtual Console but not on the Wii U Virtual Console. Why wouldn't they sell all the same games that they sold on the old Virtual Console? Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, and Super Mario 64 alone would still sell like crazy. Those games all remained on the Virtual Console's best selling list since they were released to download. Nintendo is being seriously stupid with their downloadable games. It's ridiculous that N64 and GameCube games aren't available to download this far into the console's lifespan.

To be honest I only care because I want to have every Zelda game on one console. And because my Super Mario Sunshine disc is scratched so once I get to a certain stage in the game it just stops working, which is why I haven't played that game in years.

^I actually do have every Zelda on my Wii U due to my hacking of the vWii as I mentioned above.  The only exception are the DS and 3DS Zelda titles, but I have all of those which I can play on my 3DS, so between the two systems I have all Zelda titles (excluding the CD-I games as those obviously don't count), which really is pretty cool.

Yeah thats fine but I prefer to support with the dollar

Well I bought every Zelda title once before.  Having them all available on my Wii U doesn't seem like I'm not supporting them, just making things convenient for myself if Nintendo isn't ever going to do it.

• Like 1

So there isn't a single game on your systems you didn't previously pay for? The only time I'll pirate something is if I can't actually get it. Eg Asia exclusives that aren't released here. I downloaded chrono trigger as it never released here but have since paid for it on vita etc

So there isn't a single game on your systems you didn't previously pay for? The only time I'll pirate something is if I can't actually get it. Eg Asia exclusives that aren't released here. I downloaded chrono trigger as it never released here but have since paid for it on vita etc

I didn't say that, I was only talking about Zelda titles.  The emulators have the entire english catalogs and even a few imports, and the same goes for some of the Gamecube and Wii titles.  I'm not saying I don't pirate.  But when I do, and I find a game that I truly love, I will go out and buy an actual copy of the game if possible.  But certain things are just so unrealistic or not possible, especially much older out of print games or systems that I can't possibly afford (NeoGeo is a great example of that).  I'm no saint, but I do buy what I can afford and give money toward the games that I think truly deserve my money.

In all seriousness though, what are you even supposed to do about games that are out of print?  If you manage to find a copy it will undoubtedly be second hand.  Meaning that developers and publishers of the game will see no profit from that sale anyway, and often resellers hike up the prices for rare out of print games too, so you're just encouraging scalping more or less.  I dunno, I've thought of that a lot and it's always bothered me how people are so against emulating older games when the reality is you can't even get those older games in a way that gives money to the creators of the game in question anyway.  Now granted, services like the Virtual Console definitely help, but the virtual console does not have every game ever made on those older systems (though it would be so cool if they did have full libraries available to look through).

Still, that's still you viewing it as "I'm entitled to this" assessment of it. Just because you can't buy something, doesn't automatically you have the right to digitally steal it.

BUT, it doesn't matter and it's just a game. I'm just hassling you Mike. <3

Been playing Shovel Night, it's awesome

Still, that's still you viewing it as "I'm entitled to this" assessment of it. Just because you can't buy something, doesn't automatically you have the right to digitally steal it.

BUT, it doesn't matter and it's just a game. I'm just hassling you Mike. <3

Been playing Shovel Night, it's awesome

Oh I understand this.  But, my question is, how is it any better that I buy a used copy vs. playing it emulated?  Neither method actually benefits the creator of the game.  So I just find it odd that we're all A-OK with buying and selling used copies of video games, but playing roms is somehow much worse.  And I know you're just hassling.

I have Shovel Knight too, that game is freaking great, albeit a bit short,.

There's literally no reason for Nintendo to not just go online, take every single headerless rom out there for their systems, and just release them on an emulator of their own.

More then half the work is already done for them, it'd be such an easy profit, like even at $0.99 a game they'd rack up so much money off of cheap, easy nostalgia.

Taking a long weekend to visit my cousin and we're playing through Resident Evil 4. This is by far one of my favorite games ever made (favorite game ever next to the Nintendo 64 Zelda games actually) but I haven't played it in a few years. I still love it. The controls are a bit clunky (we're playing on Xbox 360 and in the past I've always played the Wii version, which is one of the few games that I actually think is better with Wii motion controls) but it adds to the suspense and I still think this game is soooo fun. I hope the next Resident Evil game returns to the survival horror feel that this game has instead of the straight-up action game that Resident Evil 5 and 6 are.

Taking a long weekend to visit my cousin and we're playing through Resident Evil 4. This is by far one of my favorite games ever made (favorite game ever next to the Nintendo 64 Zelda games actually) but I haven't played it in a few years. I still love it. The controls are a bit clunky (we're playing on Xbox 360 and in the past I've always played the Wii version, which is one of the few games that I actually think is better with Wii motion controls) but it adds to the suspense and I still think this game is soooo fun. I hope the next Resident Evil game returns to the survival horror feel that this game has instead of the straight-up action game that Resident Evil 5 and 6 are.

Yeah Resident Evil 4 on the Wii, definitely was the best version of that game, I don't understand why Capcom didn't make another game like that for the Wii, it controlled and played so well and felt way more immersive.  Also, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, really nailed the Wii motion controls as well.  Few 3rd party games ever really did, but those two were always the prime examples if you ask me.