Video Games Thread

dildo69er

Like I said I think it may possibly be my favorite game I've ever played.  I'd go as far as to say its the best video game that's been created so far.  That's an insane and bold statement, but I really can't think of another game that made me feel like this so consistently.  Everyday after work I come home and play this game, I can see that even when I beat the game I'm still going to be playing it for quite a long time more.  Not to mention it has at least 2 DLC packs coming, who knows what they'll include, but I imagine it will be more quests and possibly even expanding on the already huge map.

I did read some reviews on metacritic and people writing 0 reviews say it has PS2 level textures and the frame rate is too low. Jesus is this where the gaming community is? Obviously those are the minority and trolls, but damn how dumb is that.

10 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I did read some reviews on metacritic and people writing 0 reviews say it has PS2 level textures and the frame rate is too low. Jesus is this where the gaming community is? Obviously those are the minority and trolls, but damn how dumb is that.

Yeah, the game has a user score of 7.5 on Metacritic, but I'm pretty sure its that low because of the trolls/Zelda haters.  It has nearly 6000 user scores, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those were trolls.

So I only buy Nintendo products because of Zelda. I'm a fan boy. I really want to play this game.

Do I buy a used Wii U? What route makes the most sense for me? The Switch looks dumb and is too expensive, but would it still be better to buy one than a used Wii U?

Help me out. must play this game

I'm actually hearing good things about the Wii U version.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat570935

You can get a refurbished one for $200.00

If Zelda is all you care about, then go with that is my advice. You'll probably want to get a pro controller anyway.

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

So I only buy Nintendo products because of Zelda. I'm a fan boy. I really want to play this game.

Do I buy a used Wii U? What route makes the most sense for me? The Switch looks dumb and is too expensive, but would it still be better to buy one than a used Wii U?

I have both (Wii U version was free due to hacking).  I can assure you that the 2 experiences really are ultimately the same.  The Switch version looks marginally better, and plays marginally better with fewer occurrences of drops in framerate (especially in handheld mode).  You'll ultimately have the same great experience with either version.  I will say however, that I highly recommend using the assistance of gyro control for aiming with bows and arrows, the right analogue stick alone pales in comparison to the precision in aiming you get when you use both the right analogue stick coupled with gyro control.  This means however that if you play on the Wii U and want to use the gyro control, you have to play with the Gamepad as the Wii U pro controllers don't have built in gyro, only the Gamepad for the Wii U had the built in gyro.  The Switch pro controllers do have built in gyro and consequently has become my favorite controller to play the game with.  Switch version docked is 900p, while undocked and Wii U version are 720p, all run at a typically steady 30FPS, but dips in framerate do occur from time to time, but hardly ever when it matters like in a fight or anything like that.  You can play the game on the Wii U gamepad instead of the TV, so if your place is small enough you can still get the portable experience in other rooms like Switch, except that you're tethered to a small area before you lose signal from the Wii U.

I think that's really all you need to know about the two versions, consider all that and make your choice.  Perhaps consider the libraries (future library in the case of the Switch) of both systems as well if you're at all interested in the other games the systems have to offer.

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

I'm going the Wii U route ... Not spending a ton of money for one game.

3 hours ago, M!ke said:

I will say however, that I highly recommend using the assistance of gyro control for aiming with bows and arrows, the right analogue stick alone pales in comparison to the precision in aiming you get when you use both the right analogue stick coupled with gyro control.  This means however that if you play on the Wii U and want to use the gyro control, you have to play with the Gamepad as the Wii U pro controllers don't have built in gyro, only the Gamepad for the Wii U had the built in gyro.

I play the Wii U version with the Pro Controller, but the nice thing is you switch between the Pro Controller and the Gamepad any time you want without changing any options or anything. Both controllers are connected at the same time, so whatever one you are using is the one that is active. So while I use the Pro Controller for 99% of the game (unless I'm playing off TV), there are a couple of times where I've had to do a lot of shooting that I've simply picked up the Gamepad for a minute or two and then gone right back to the Pro Controller. It's not ideal obviously, but at least they made it as convenient as they possibly could have without implementing gyro into the Pro Controller. I actually prefer shooting without the gyro, and for most of the game so far I've been totally fine without it, but I will switch to it in sections where I need to do a lot of archery, because it is more precise and faster. You don't always need the extra speed or precision though so if I can get away with it I won't use it.

That's actually the one thing I liked about the Twilight Princess / Skyward Sword motion controls, it was by far the easiest way to aim your bow in any Zelda game to date. aside from that, I really did not like the motion controls at all and I am super happy that Breath of the Wild didn't implement them.

EDIT: Though I personally would rather have a Switch and the Switch version of Zelda, I will say that getting a Wii U comes with the added bonus of being able to play the HD remaster of The Wind Waker, which has a few added changes that improve the game overall. Twilight Princess HD too I guess, but it barely looks any better than the Gamecube version of the game (I don't have it but I still want it), whereas I think The Wind Waker HD looks way better than the original version.

52 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I play the Wii U version with the Pro Controller, but the nice thing is you switch between the Pro Controller and the Gamepad any time you want without changing any options or anything. Both controllers are connected at the same time, so whatever one you are using is the one that is active. So while I use the Pro Controller for 99% of the game (unless I'm playing off TV), there are a couple of times where I've had to do a lot of shooting that I've simply picked up the Gamepad for a minute or two and then gone right back to the Pro Controller. It's not ideal obviously, but at least they made it as convenient as they possibly could have without implementing gyro into the Pro Controller. I actually prefer shooting without the gyro, and for most of the game so far I've been totally fine without it, but I will switch to it in sections where I need to do a lot of archery, because it is more precise and faster. You don't always need the extra speed or precision though so if I can get away with it I won't use it.

That's actually the one thing I liked about the Twilight Princess / Skyward Sword motion controls, it was by far the easiest way to aim your bow in any Zelda game to date. aside from that, I really did not like the motion controls at all and I am super happy that Breath of the Wild didn't implement them.

EDIT: Though I personally would rather have a Switch and the Switch version of Zelda, I will say that getting a Wii U comes with the added bonus of being able to play the HD remaster of The Wind Waker, which has a few added changes that improve the game overall. Twilight Princess HD too I guess, but it barely looks any better than the Gamecube version of the game (I don't have it but I still want it), whereas I think The Wind Waker HD looks way better than the original version.

Yes, I'm aware of all that, I too have both Wii U pro controllers and the gamepad with my Wii U.  When I was first playing the leaked Wii U version, I started playing like you, using the Pro Controller and then switching to the Gamepad when I felt necessary.  But as I found myself using Bows and arrows more and more often, I realized that it was all needless hassle happening far too often, and I ended up just playing with strictly the Gamepad.  Yeah, the Wii U pro controllers are more comfortable than the Gamepad, but the convenience of the Gamepad and the lack of the need to drop one controller and pick up another, outweighed the comfort issue.  Fortunately, as I said, the Switch pro controllers have the gyro built in, and they're just as comfortable (I might actually argue more comfortable, I definitely like the overall weight of it a lot more, and the analogue sticks placement is my ideal preference) than the Wii U pro controllers and especially the Wii U gamepad.  Not that I've ever had anything against the Gamepad, its a great controller, but it does sacrifice a little bit of comfort (comparatively) in order to pack in all the other features that made that controller so unique.

1 minute ago, M!ke said:

Yes, I'm aware of all that, I too have both Wii U pro controllers and the gamepad with my Wii U.  When I was first playing the leaked Wii U version, I started playing like you, using the Pro Controller and then switching to the Gamepad when I felt necessary.  But as I found myself using Bows and arrows more and more often, I realized that it was all needless hassle happening far too often, and I ended up just playing with strictly the Gamepad.  Yeah, the Wii U pro controllers are more comfortable than the Gamepad, but the convenience of the Gamepad and the lack of the need to drop one controller and pick up another, outweighed the comfort issue.  Fortunately.  as I said the Switch pro controllers have the gyro built in, and they're just as comfortable (I might actually argue more comfortable, I definitely like the overall weight of it a lot more) than the Wii U pro controllers and especially the Wii U gamepad.  Not that I've ever had anything against the Gamepad, its a great controller, but it does sacrifice a little bit of comfort (comparatively) in order to pack in all the other features that made that controller so unique.

I've never used a Switch Pro Controller (or played a Switch at all) but I like the button layout better that the Wii U Pro Controller layout already, with the right joystick and the ABXY buttons switched. I wish the Wii U Pro Controller was like that.

1 minute ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I've never used a Switch Pro Controller (or played a Switch at all) but I like the button layout better that the Wii U Pro Controller layout already, with the right joystick and the ABXY buttons switched. I wish the Wii U Pro Controller was like that.

And the ability to scan Amiibo with the Switch pro controller is great too.  I've used this feature quite a bit already specifically for the Wolf Link to fight alongside me.  (I don't actually own all the Amiibo, I bought a device called an Amiiqo, which has had a name change that allows you to load up and store any amiibos you want and scan them into whatever games you want, its a great way to get all their added features without having to spend tons of extra money on the collectible figures)

Speaking of controllers, here's a minor gripe I have with Nintendo over the past few console generations: why did they get rid of analogue shoulder buttons? The Gamecube had them, but it's literally the only Nintendo console to ever do that. I mean the Wii didn't really need them, but why not the Wii U or the Switch? This also has to be the reason why Gamecube games have never been on the virtual console / eShop. Seems weird not to implement this feature, especially when they did implement it the past, on a console three generations ago.

45 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Speaking of controllers, here's a minor gripe I have with Nintendo over the past few console generations: why did they get rid of analogue shoulder buttons? The Gamecube had them, but it's literally the only Nintendo console to ever do that. I mean the Wii didn't really need them, but why not the Wii U or the Switch? This also has to be the reason why Gamecube games have never been on the virtual console / eShop. Seems weird not to implement this feature, especially when they did implement it the past, on a console three generations ago.

Actually the original Wii classic controllers had them as well (the non "pro" ones, shaped like SNES controllers with the cord coming out of the bottom, not the later pro ones with the handles and cord coming out the top).  I'm guessing they realized with the Wii that next to nobody utilized the analogue triggers with the classic controllers, and that only a handful of Gamecube games made good use of them, that the extra cost of making them didn't justify keeping them around.  Aside from Mario Sunshine, the only real use I ever see for them is racing/driving games to determine how hard you're accelerating.  They're nice, but their absence isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Heck with the Wii or Wii U, you can get Gamecube games loading off your USB drive through a program called Nintendont, and can even play your gamecube games with your wireless Wii U pro controllers.  The creators of the program, made it so you just have to hold I think LZ While hitting L or R to emulate hitting the Gamecube's L or R button halfway down, or hit the L or R button without LZ to emulate hitting the L or R button all the way down (I might not have those control mapping perfect offhand, but its something like that).  It's not perfect, but it gets the job done, I've beaten Mario Sunshine on my Wii U playing it that way.  It really is the one missing thing in Nintendo's pro controllers, but it's also pretty easy to live without.

I didn't know the original Wii classic controllers had them. I have one of the ones with the handles, so it doesn't.

It's definitely not a deal breaker, but why not have it? It's the standard now, and it probably makes it harder for third-party developers to bring their games to the console.

Again, I think it comes down to cost.  The Switch Pro controllers are too expensive as it is ($70 if you can believe that thanks to the added gyro and NFC scanning), having analogue triggers would up that price probably another 5 to 10 dollars.  Plus I really doubt its too hard to port games over, like I said its mostly just driving games that make good use of the mechanism, without it you just treat the RZ button as flooring the acceleration, and the Nintendo version of such driving games just wont have the in-between acceleration option.  Works well enough for me, the only game I can think of where I didn't have the analogue trigger down all the way every time I would push it was Super Mario Sunshine.