Video Games Thread

dildo69er

3 hours ago, M!ke said:

Yeah, I've seen comparison screen shots with other Halo games over the years and in a lot of way Infinite actually looks kinda worse.  However, it's not the final build, and it could be that some of the quality of the graphics may have been sacrificed a bit for consistent 4K 60fps output.  Also, there is speculation that the game is a full open world map, like you can genuinely explore the entire Halo ring, which might also account for the graphics not being as great as we may have been expecting.  I dunno how true that is, I have my doubts, but the idea of exploring an open world that is a ring like that is pretty cool in theory, though I'm not sure Halo is a game where that would make sense to be implemented like that.

It really does. Halo 5 gets a lot of shit but it was like photorealistic, this feels like a step backwards. It's true, I'm just suprised no one at 343 somehow didn't anticipate backlash for the textures, some of the animations were off too. I know little about game design but how much can change if the game is out at the tail-end of this year? 

Yeah that could go one way or the other as well. I think the levels will be self-contained but massive sandboxes in themselves, a bit like a lot of the missions in Combat Evolved. They keep talking about how this is a 'spiritual reboot', I just hope they look beyond Halo itself for inspiration. Otherwise it can just feel like a hollow imitation, a bit like the Sequel Trilogy for Star Wars

On 7/24/2020 at 2:16 AM, _Bagel said:

Any Halo fans on here? Just saw the Infinite reveal, I've got mixed feelings.

Some gameplay mechanics looked really cool, and the ring you're on looked expansive - the textures though, it looks like a game released in 2014?

halo.png

I'm a huge Halo fan, but my excitement for this one has dropped off. Halo 5 was alright - it was the first Halo campaign I didn't bother finishing, and the gameplay was a bit too CoD for me, but it was still enjoyable and I liked a lot of the changes they made.

For Halo Infinite, it's not even just the graphics, it's the art style that is the most worrisome. The guns look bland as fuck. The world isn't nearly as creative and colourful as Bungie's Halo games. Surprising to see a $500 million budget look like this, as the flagship game to sell a console. I heard they started development for the Xbox One, which explains why some of it looks so outdated, but still! This is disappointing. 

I loved Halo when it was with Bungie, probably one of my favourite franchises growing up, but 4 was a snore fest and I couldn't be bothered with 5, didn't interest me. 

I really can't believe this is how Microsoft wants to hit the ground running with such a powerful new console.  This is like their flagship series, and it visually doesn't look better than much of what has released already on the Xbone and PS4 earlier in their lifespans.

47 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

PS5 is gonna ace this generation. Barely gonna be a contest if this is the best Microsoft can put out. 

I've already decided I'm going PS5 this generation. 

I enjoy the Halo games but not enough to stick to the console and I was let down quite a bit by Xbox One. All the great games were available on PS4 as well, plus the exclusives for PS4 were great and I definitely felt like I was missing out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

PS5 is gonna ace this generation. Barely gonna be a contest if this is the best Microsoft can put out. 

PS5 will definitely have the better exclusives. Microsoft have changed their business model and gone for the subscription-based, multi-plat strategy with Game Pass and pretty much all games being on PC. Those are their money makers now, the Xbox is now like a low-mid tier PC near the end of a gaming generation. It's interesting to see how all three companies go in different directions.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Earl said:

I've already decided I'm going PS5 this generation. 

I enjoy the Halo games but not enough to stick to the console and I was let down quite a bit by Xbox One. All the great games were available on PS4 as well, plus the exclusives for PS4 were great and I definitely felt like I was missing out.

PS4 exclusives were great this generation. This will be the first time I actually buy a console on release.

17 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

PS5 will definitely have the better exclusives. Microsoft have changed their business model and gone for the subscription-based, multi-plat strategy with Game Pass and pretty much all games being on PC. Those are their money makers now, the Xbox is now like a low-mid tier PC near the end of a gaming generation. It's interesting to see how all three companies go in different directions.

yeah it’s definitely interesting. But push come to shove exclusives sell a console for me . Switch + PS4 and then what we’ve seen/assume for the PS5 is just the best gaming experience imo.

I have both xbox one and PS4. I easily prefer the xbox. Only exclusive I cared for was Spiderman, and I hate the PS4s interface, just generally more comfortable with the xbox ones. 

So far, I'm more likely to get the new xbox, I love game pass and a lot of the games I currently play on xbox will be on the new gen for free so I can easily port profiles. I really don't care for any exclusives announced so far on either end. I may eventually get a PS5 years later if they come out with some awesome exclusives but right now, I'm xboxing. 

9 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

They said the other day that there are no plans to put gamepass on Switch or PlayStation, but they're also about to launch a new console, so I'm hoping that's just what they're saying right now but then after the initial launch window they do reveal it coming to other systems.  Specifically, I'd love Gamepass on the Switch, being able to stream all those great Xbox games on the go really would be amazing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I need a new game to play, PS4 and doesn't have to be new - just good. I've only played Red Dead 2, Final Fantasy 7, Days Gone and The Last of Us 2 in the past 2-3 years.

I'm mainly into linear single player games with a good story, I do like open world games but only if the world feels really alive (nothing worse than trapsing through vast landscapes with nothing going on)

Any recs?

8 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I need a new game to play, PS4 and doesn't have to be new - just good. I've only played Red Dead 2, Final Fantasy 7, Days Gone and The Last of Us 2 in the past 2-3 years.

I'm mainly into linear single player games with a good story, I do like open world games but only if the world feels really alive (nothing worse than trapsing through vast landscapes with nothing going on)

Any recs?

There's this game called spiderman which is decent and ps4 only.

Have you heard of the Marvel superhero? If not I'd definitely recommend giving it a go. 

1 minute ago, Bucko said:

There's this game called spiderman which is decent and ps4 only.

Have you heard of the Marvel superhero? If not I'd definitely recommend giving it a go. 

I had the choice between Days Gone and Spiderman for £15 on the sale, my thirst for post apocalypse was at an all time high as it was a few weeks before TLOU2 came out, really regret that decision now.

12 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Any recs?

You might have played these already but the Uncharted franchise is fantastic.