Video Games Thread

dildo69er

46 minutes ago, Cum said:

Most of this is fair but I can’t say I’ve encountered all of these issues. Agreed about needing to look stuff up though, I did that a fair amount. I like it because it’s the first game I’ve played in ages that feels like the old school games of the SNES era that were actually challenging and rewarding. It’s pretty satisfying to beat a boss you have been stuck on for a while. 

One of the main strengths is how intricate and interconnected the map is for the first half of the game. Everyone bitched about a Blight town (worse in the original than the remaster), but I seriously hated the giant skeleton part in the dark as well as the roof tops part with the archers with giant arrows, fuck those guys. How far have you gotten?

I actually just got to Blight and my friend said I shouldn't try to go into it, (he said there was something else to do before going, so he's trying to keep me from knowing everything which I appreciate) so now I'm just running around trying to see if there's anything I overtly missed.. I spent a lot of time getting into the catacombs and that was wrong my friends say (I guess it was as I was making slow progress but getting destroyed too). I know that now but it seemed way more logical than the path I ended up taking. I really was not getting it and the game kind of trains you to expect things to be hard, so I expected that to be the right way to go. The last thing I did was the bird egg thing that took me to get a ring which I finally got after beating two knights that were pretty difficult. The boss in that was not beatable seemingly so I gave up. I am now back at the firelink shrine and back looking for stuff to do. 

A lot of my friends say DS1 is rougher than the others and I should at least try DS3, which I might. Re-reading my post, I do wanna say I think the game is fun in it's own way and does a lot of things right. I do compare it to the likes of Ghouls and Goblins and Castlevania in terms of difficulty, where you might just want to resign yourself to fuck up constantly and just be happy when it does work out. It is pretty satisfying when you do progress but I always feel like it shouldn't have been that hard. I also developed a lot of what i would call imposter syndrome when I do beat something easily or what I consider not "right". Like I beat the gargoyles fairly quickly because of well, I'm not even entirely sure. I think I just got really lucky and got a lot of advantages. Thing just went my way. The Capra Demon was bullshit and basically played it until I didn't get destroyed in the first 10 seconds. 

45 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I actually just got to Blight and my friend said I shouldn't try to go into it, (he said there was something else to do before going, so he's trying to keep me from knowing everything which I appreciate) so now I'm just running around trying to see if there's anything I overtly missed.. I spent a lot of time getting into the catacombs and that was wrong my friends say (I guess it was as I was making slow progress but getting destroyed too). I know that now but it seemed way more logical than the path I ended up taking. I really was not getting it and the game kind of trains you to expect things to be hard, so I expected that to be the right way to go. The last thing I did was the bird egg thing that took me to get a ring which I finally got after beating two knights that were pretty difficult. The boss in that was not beatable seemingly so I gave up. I am now back at the firelink shrine and back looking for stuff to do. 

A lot of my friends say DS1 is rougher than the others and I should at least try DS3, which I might. Re-reading my post, I do wanna say I think the game is fun in it's own way and does a lot of things right. I do compare it to the likes of Ghouls and Goblins and Castlevania in terms of difficulty, where you might just want to resign yourself to fuck up constantly and just be happy when it does work out. It is pretty satisfying when you do progress but I always feel like it shouldn't have been that hard. I also developed a lot of what i would call imposter syndrome when I do beat something easily or what I consider not "right". Like I beat the gargoyles fairly quickly because of well, I'm not even entirely sure. I think I just got really lucky and got a lot of advantages. Thing just went my way. The Capra Demon was bullshit and basically played it until I didn't get destroyed in the first 10 seconds. 

I can relate to most of this post lol. The nice thing is you can level up and get better gear and then try to revisit a boss fight later. Some are easier than others (I found the Gargoyles surprisingly easy too). There are some optional areas and bosses that are good for achieving souls, like the Hydra (which is also surprisingly easy once you learn it’s move set, which is pretty limited and basic). Did you end up beating the Capra Demon yet? I remember aerial attacks from going up on that ledge were the most efficient, but still a challenge for sure. 

A lot of the game is having the right armor and weapons for the right situations. Blight town is a great example of needing poison resistance. 

23 hours ago, Cum said:

I can relate to most of this post lol. The nice thing is you can level up and get better gear and then try to revisit a boss fight later. Some are easier than others (I found the Gargoyles surprisingly easy too). There are some optional areas and bosses that are good for achieving souls, like the Hydra (which is also surprisingly easy once you learn it’s move set, which is pretty limited and basic). Did you end up beating the Capra Demon yet? I remember aerial attacks from going up on that ledge were the most efficient, but still a challenge for sure. 

A lot of the game is having the right armor and weapons for the right situations. Blight town is a great example of needing poison resistance. 

I did beat the Capra Demon. Played it for hours just trying to not get slaughtered right away and eventually broke through (again, it seems almost arbitrary in the way of being able to bypass them) and got to the stairs where the dogs (this enemy is so goofy, it's comical) were able to be defeated. Now, I did get to the stairs a few times before it all worked out and I was successful in defeating that capra demon.

poison resistance? I guess there's a ring for that. I have the blood resistance one...

On 6/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, Speedo said:

I got bored really quickly with it. The same happened with the first one and GTA V, sometimes there's just too much to do. I enjoy the open world stuff but I sometimes like the more linear games. 

I couldn't get into the first one at all, GTA V I've finished like 3 times though haha, I am a sucker for Rockstar games. The Warriors and Canis Canem Edit (Bully to ya'll) were huge to me. 

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

I did beat the Capra Demon. Played it for hours just trying to not get slaughtered right away and eventually broke through (again, it seems almost arbitrary in the way of being able to bypass them) and got to the stairs where the dogs (this enemy is so goofy, it's comical) were able to be defeated. Now, I did get to the stairs a few times before it all worked out and I was successful in defeating that capra demon.

poison resistance? I guess there's a ring for that. I have the blood resistance one...

I think you can get a ring as well as an armor set, I won’t say where since you can look it up if you want. You definitely need it though, at the bottom you go through a swamp that poisons you over time. 

I just got PTSD remembering the Basilisks in the sewers. God damn I hated those little bitches and how they can curse you.

7 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

How-It-Started-Vs-How-Its-Going-GTAV-Mem

GTA 6 pls 😩

It's insane. I've played a LOT of gta v but fuck me it's not worth playing on new consoles. The game is 8 fucking years old. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kay said:

It's insane. I've played a LOT of gta v but fuck me it's not worth playing on new consoles. The game is 8 fucking years old. 

I mostly want GTA 6 for my dad. He doesn't really play video games but he loves just driving around and causing chaos in GTA 5. Don't think he's even attempted to play the actual story, but he's spent hours upon hours just messing around in that game. There aren't a lot of games that give you that much freedom to do whatever you want. I want 6 so my dad can have another game haha.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:08 PM, Cum said:

What's happening to Rockstar is pretty similar to what happened with Valve. They stop making games because their service and microtransactions make too much money to justify moving on. 

To be fair, the scope and scale of each Rockstar game has also been increasing with each release. If GTA6 is as big and detailed as we may be anticipating, truly built for the new gen of hardware, then it will be no wonder it's taken as long as it has to release. I hope no one is waiting on RDR3, because that game is likely at least a decade out at this point. 

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

To be fair, the scope and scale of each Rockstar game has also been increasing with each release. If GTA6 is as big and detailed as we may be anticipating, truly built for the new gen of hardware, then it will be no wonder it's taken as long as it has to release. I hope no one is waiting on RDR3, because that game is likely at least a decade out at this point. 

There was 8 years between RDR1 and RDR2, I doubt anyones expecting RDR3 at all let alone soon. Gta6 is rumoured to be like 3 cities or something daft, it's going to be massive, but the microtransactions definitely have lengthened the gap, they've made so much money from shark cards it's insane. 

I wonder what cities they'll be.

Part of the fun of GTA 5 for me is that it's an area I'm actually familiar with in real life. I was born in southern California and for most of my life I've gone back every summer, so driving around in that game I'm always like "hey, I know this place!" It's kind of nostalgic in a funny way. No other big city they choose will be able to feel like that to me. Unless they did Seattle or something, I'm somewhat familiar with that area.

On the flip side, last time I went to Los Angeles I was like "hey I recognize this place from Grand Theft Auto!" haha

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 3:35 PM, Cum said:

I think you can get a ring as well as an armor set, I won’t say where since you can look it up if you want. You definitely need it though, at the bottom you go through a swamp that poisons you over time. 

I just got PTSD remembering the Basilisks in the sewers. God damn I hated those little bitches and how they can curse you.

So I beat Blightown, and it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. However, the poisoning aspect of it is pretty annoying and the mosquito enemies were the worst I felt in terms of not being able to actually hit them. It was an interesting experience for sure. I got through the forest and got to the giant dog with a knife and I can't beat that. So I guess I'm just gonna cruise around and find something else to fight...

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 3:20 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

I wonder what cities they'll be.

Part of the fun of GTA 5 for me is that it's an area I'm actually familiar with in real life. I was born in southern California and for most of my life I've gone back every summer, so driving around in that game I'm always like "hey, I know this place!" It's kind of nostalgic in a funny way. No other big city they choose will be able to feel like that to me. Unless they did Seattle or something, I'm somewhat familiar with that area.

On the flip side, last time I went to Los Angeles I was like "hey I recognize this place from Grand Theft Auto!" haha

Seems like Vice City would be most likely to me, but they could shake it up and do something none of us are really expecting. It'd be nice if they considered somewhere not based on an American city again, like I think a GTA in Tokyo could be amazing. 

9 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

So I beat Blightown, and it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. However, the poisoning aspect of it is pretty annoying and the mosquito enemies were the worst I felt in terms of not being able to actually hit them. It was an interesting experience for sure. I got through the forest and got to the giant dog with a knife and I can't beat that. So I guess I'm just gonna cruise around and find something else to fight...

Congrats on beating Blight town. I think the game opens up a bit in terms of choosing where to go next. 

That wolf boss is optional but it’s good for souls/loot, I recall beating him at least 2/3 or 3/4 through the game. 

Have you gotten invaded by another player yet?

20 hours ago, Cum said:

Congrats on beating Blight town. I think the game opens up a bit in terms of choosing where to go next. 

That wolf boss is optional but it’s good for souls/loot, I recall beating him at least 2/3 or 3/4 through the game. 

Have you gotten invaded by another player yet?

I have. Some asshole named noobslayer came and killed me. It was confusing 

Been playing Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity which has distracted me from playing only JRPGs. It's so repetitive and mindless and yet I really enjoy it. I liked the first one a lot too. This one's great though because it actually ties into Breath of the Wild. I can't help but feeling if I play BotW after Hyrule Warriors I'm going to feel like Link is weak as hell. I'm used to slaying 100 enemies in five seconds now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Been playing Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity which has distracted me from playing only JRPGs. It's so repetitive and mindless and yet I really enjoy it. I liked the first one a lot too. This one's great though because it actually ties into Breath of the Wild. I can't help but feeling if I play BotW after Hyrule Warriors I'm going to feel like Link is weak as hell. I'm used to slaying 100 enemies in five seconds now.

I liked it too. Repetitive yes, but all the slashing was also kind of satisfying imo. Didn’t get bored of it until the end, although the story got a bit too fanfic-y for my taste at times

• Like 1