Dogs Eating Dogs

Live Fast Die Fun

Dumpweed? You think so? Which part on the drums seems hard? I've never tried to learn it, but it seems all straight forward.

Without thinking about it much, I would say Here's Your Letter is a tough song, because of the fills.

It has quite a few different beats in it. The drumming part during the main riff right before the chorus is pretty hard. Right hand on the cymbal while the left hand throws in a hi hat snare beat followed by doing apretty fast fill around the kit to bring you to the chorus beat.

Here's your letter is kind of hard, the fills are somewhat complex but nothing that special IMO. Snare and Tom rolls with Hi hat accents. It is pretty easy to make something fit there. It is harder to just fit something in during Dumpweed.

Scroll to minute 2:15. That is some cool shit right there.

Yeah, the way Travis plays dumpweed live is definitely impressive, but the studio version is easier for sure. I thought about it, and I think Heart's All Gone is actually their hardest song to play. Your hands are moving nonstop and they're moving horizontally a whole lot. Then the bells on the chorus could be challenging when you try to maintain the backbeat with your left hand. 

Yeah, the way Travis plays dumpweed live is definitely impressive, but the studio version is easier for sure. I thought about it, and I think Heart's All Gone is actually their hardest song to play. Your hands are moving nonstop and they're moving horizontally a whole lot. Then the bells on the chorus could be challenging when you try to maintain the backbeat with your left hand. 

Yeah, true. I love that song on drums. One of the best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
Just now, bobbo11290 said:

I never understood why people thought this was such an upswing from Neighborhoods. To me it’s the most murky and confused thing they’ve ever done. The sound of a band falling apart. Which is why I wasn’t surprised the band broke up again just two years later.

It was pretty great but its a victim of rushing a project without having a producer.

3 minutes ago, bobbo11290 said:

I never understood why people thought this was such an upswing from Neighborhoods. To me it’s the most murky and confused thing they’ve ever done. The sound of a band falling apart. Which is why I wasn’t surprised the band broke up again just two years later.

It's not an upswing, but it's lateral imo.  It really feels just like an extension from neighborhoods a little different feel.

WIWY and DED are classics though 

It was good to just have new genuine music back then. I remember listening to DED everyday on YouTube when it came out in my dorm

• Like 2

On 1/7/2013 at 6:02 PM, thongrider said:

overall I think to me it seems that whether Neighborhoods was recorded in seperate studios is irrelevant, I think the co-operation between Tom and Mark is really weird, if Mark and Tom Traded vocals it used to be a little treat, now they do it way too often and it seems forced. I'd like to hear some more just Mark like MH and Heart's all gone, they don't have to try to squeeze all their influences into one song. Neighborhoods was way way better. I don't know if Mark has a writers block, but if it's so I think he should be honest about it and let Tom work on ava.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

7 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

It was pretty great but its a victim of rushing a project without having a producer.

I mean each to their own, it’s all subjective and blah blah. But it just felt like their aspirations were just meandering around aimlessly to me. Neighborhoods was far from perfect, (I personally like it for the most part), but this was a step further down to me.

i don’t like the forced “back to the basics” vibe of California (although I get why they “had” to do it), but this always felt somehow more disjointed and unorganized than the album they actually recorded in a disjointed unorganized fashion.

I still don't care for it. I basically don't listen to any of it, and will happily listen to Neighborhoods over it.

There were some good ideas but the songs themselves are mostly 'meh'. 

• Like 2

Yeah it was fine for a quick EP and I liked it for what (I thought) it was - a way for them to stay sharp between albums. Haha. Didn't quite work out that way. But I never really revisit any of the songs, there are some cool ideas, good melodies for the most part, but the songs felt unfinished in some ways. They seem to have had some trouble with structures, the bridges go absolutely nowhere. Disaster especially, which was a bummer because that song had some real promise. But the way it just drops down to the drum beat for 5 measures (?!) then has like a copy/pasted drum roll going back into the chorus, stuff like that is mind boggling to me. I still can't believe they just said "eh, fuck it, good enough, let's just leave it that way."

• Like 1