Stomping the Phantom Brake Pedal Discussion

Mau5

So this thing just leaked, and really it's only one "new" song that we haven't heard previously. New Blood and Reel 6 are pretty boring, but Diary is still one of my favorite AVA releases because it's something different. I forget who said this but they put it best when they said it was "Ilan Rubin's EP with AVA's nametag" on it, and I completely agree. It's a huge change in direction from anything AVA has put out, so it's pretty evident Tom Delonge had very little involvement with the overall construction of the EP (oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Diary is the only new track that has vocals...if you can call them that?) 

Anyways, I haven't listened to all the remixes yet but Surrender is pretty annoying, just a mix of weird tones and bass-heavy electronica. Kevin pointed out that there are far better post-rock bands that perfect the sounds that it sounds like this EP was trying to accomplish (i.e. Caspian, Saxon Shore, Tycho). 

Edit: Jesus, Epic Holiday sounds like an 8-bit joke. It sounds like just an EP that was completely experimental, which is fine with me considering AVA should be that sort of outlet with Tom - but jesus I'm glad blink-182 is back if this is where AVA is headed. 

My overall rating: 3/10, only because I really really enjoy Diary. Everything else sucks though, and you can tell Tom Delonge is still the glue that holds the band together. Ilan will be an interesting addition when they all work cohesively together, but for now this EP is just an experiment that should have been left for further production.

I quite like it actually.. and I never liked Love2 enough to even give it more than two spins. 

Really? What made you enjoy it? I don't mind the three-piece instrumental, I mean, nothing really that different or out of the box for its genre (but for AVA I guess it is) but the remixes except for Young London are all horrendous. 

I quite like the remixes, not sure why as their very different to the stuff I tend to gravitate towards (anything upbeat and catchy for me) I think it's because I like about 2/3rds of Love II and this is basically just funky weird mixes of the songs I like. I don't like calling them Remixes though, my idea of a remix is the same music as before being tweaked pulled and twisted up, these basically just have fruity new electonica beats with the vocal track stuck on. although, I first the vocal tracks have been tweaked. Meh, I'm digging.

BTW, I wrote this on my phone so it's likely to be gibberish