Tom has totally taken over

tom18222

Yeah, and as much as I love the EP, I miss Mark's voice and lyrics... (there's no proof of that, but I'd say at least since Neighborhoods Mark and Tom end up singing exactly what they wrote. Plus, it's not hard to recognize the difference in their styles.)

If things aren't going to change, +44 needs to come back for a record after the next blink one.

I prefer Tom's writing style now, it was all good when it was simple with Mark but now Tom throws loads of cool ideas/riffs and licks in.

I find Mark a bit bland in comparison, I mean even on this EP Dogs Eating Dogs is pretty much straight up powerchords, yes there is a small lead part in the background but it's not very distinguisable.

Generally though, his lyrics are a LOT better than Toms.

• Like 1

I prefer Tom's writing style now, it was all good when it was simple with Mark but now Tom throws loads of cool ideas/riffs and licks in.

I find Mark a bit bland in comparison, I mean even on this EP Dogs Eating Dogs is pretty much straight up powerchords, yes there is a small lead part in the background but it's not very distinguisable.

But Blink is here because of power chords. Their sold 10 million albums full of power chords. I don't mind the direction they've gone in, but I don't think "power chords" are a bad thing.

When Mark gets personal with his lyrics, he writes amazing stuff. Man Overboard and Hearts All Gone are genius.

But Blink is here because of power chords. Their sold 10 million albums full of power chords. I don't mind the direction they've gone in, but I don't think "power chords" are a bad thing.

When Mark gets personal with his lyrics, he writes amazing stuff. Man Overboard and Hearts All Gone are genius.

Blink have always used power chords and always will, it’s just what modern rock/alternative bands do.

However, they have always used a lot of lead parts as well even in the simple days of Dude Ranch/Enema and TOYPAJ. When you think about it those albums are littered with multiple guitar tracks with both power chords and lead riffs. The point I was making about Mark’s latest songs is there all very chord based and not particularly well layered (Hearts All Gone, Kaleidoscope and Dogs Eating Dogs are the ones that instantly come to mind) are pretty much chords with minimal lead guitar parts which I feel makes the songs sound a bit bland at times.

Tom’s songs have a lot more invention and just seem to have a lot more depth musically to them these days.

I agree. I think they have opposite strenghts, actually. Mark is better lyrically (amazing on When Your Heart Stops Beating, imo) and Tom is better musically (particularly since the self-titled).

And Oliver is right. There was some interview where Mark talked about his lack of self esteem regarding what we writes and about being extremely self-conscious. Wonder what's the cause of that, if there's any...

eh, Tom sang more than Mark on Self Titled than he did on Neighborhoods.  He's always had the larger presence, it just fluxuates how much more that presence is from album to album.  But hey if Tom writing more than Mark means more blink music sooner (like with Dog Eating Dogs) than I'm A-OK with that.

Mark clearly has writers block. He even admitted that Tom just writes songs and thinks they are good; while Mark questions everything.

Mark hasn't written much for Blink 182 since TOYPAJ.

Yep, that's huge difference between them.  Tom takes every song idea he has and runs with it until it's a song, Mark doesn't.

I kind of always felt the whole dual vocals on Neighborhoods was forced. I felt like they just thought people wanted that. Look at the preview records they would have some dual vocals most of the songs either just Mark or Tom.

Also i look at Tom being the main vocalist and Mark as the spokesman for the band.

It's quite dramatic to say Tom has taken over. Mark's good at writing songs, and without him this EP would've sounded like ava. He might not sing a lot anymore, but his influence is surely needed for Blink. Tom can write good lyrics if he wants to, I think PLG proves that. Either way, I like that they're writing more mature songs because it's easier to relate to now. Thank god they don't have a "Fuck Time" song like that other crappier band.

• Like 2