interview with chris homes about recording Dogs Eating Dogs

bennett

What? What do you mean the lyrics have nothing to do with what Tom is talking about - Tom is talking about how his marriage has been incredibly hard at times but obviously in the end completely worth it. Yelawolfs part I feel is the subconscious Tom talking about the reference to the fighting and the long distance. Do you honestly think blink/Tom would let the rap have nothing to do with the actual song? There's a reason it's put in - loliver have you actually listened to lyrics that have contrasting effects or influences in other bands?

On a side note, I really like how they experimented and implemented a side of Travis' background into the EP. We have Tom's synths and intros and new 'stadium rock' sound, we have Marks' progressive and raw rock sounds - two sounds that have gradually grown through time and are reflections of the individuals preferences and musical tastes. There's continual debate between whether it sounds more like +44 or AVA, and yet, it's obviously just a reflection of both the musicians. So where has Travis been able to show an obvious change in his musical tastes/backgrounds? Well - in my opinion, this is it; perfect for an EP release rather than an album release. The cohesiveness will come with an album release, and this was a showcase of the blend of all three's musical growth throughout the years.

What? What do you mean the lyrics have nothing to do with what Tom is talking about - Tom is talking about how his marriage has been incredibly hard at times but obviously in the end completely worth it. Yelawolfs part I feel is the subconscious Tom talking about the reference to the fighting and the long distance. Do you honestly think blink/Tom would let the rap have nothing to do with the actual song? There's a reason it's put in - loliver have you actually listened to lyrics that have contrasting effects or influences in other bands?

On a side note, I really like how they experimented and implemented a side of Travis' background into the EP. We have Tom's synths and intros and new 'stadium rock' sound, we have Marks' progressive and raw rock sounds - two sounds that have gradually grown through time and are reflections of the individuals preferences and musical tastes. There's continual debate between whether it sounds more like +44 or AVA, and yet, it's obviously just a reflection of both the musicians. So where has Travis been able to show an obvious change in his musical tastes/backgrounds? Well - in my opinion, this is it; perfect for an EP release rather than an album release. The cohesiveness will come with an album release, and this was a showcase of the blend of all three's musical growth throughout the years.

Well put, and yeah Oliver Yella's lyrics definitely do go along with the song for sure. 

They don't fit. The song is a very mature song about a normal long lasting relationship that has it's ups and down but when each person remains commmited and makes compromises; the relationship endures. The song basically sums up the key to making a long lasting relationship work.

Werewolf is taking about drugs, and weapons, and some other immature bullshit.

He is speaking metaphorically, he isn't talking about literally sticking knifes in peoples backs and bullets lodged in his bones, you do realise that? where is the line about drugs as well? and this supposed other immature bullshit?

Do you just make stuff up Oliver? It's fair enough you don't like the part but it's pretty stupid to make up reasons as to why you dislike it which aren't actually true.

He is speaking metaphorically, he isn't talking about literally sticking knifes in peoples backs and bullets lodged in his bones, you do realise that? where is the line about drugs as well? and this supposed other immature bullshit?

Do you just make stuff up Oliver? It's fair enough you don't like the part but it's pretty stupid to make up reasons as to why you dislike it which aren't actually true.

I am not making up shit......

Wait a minute hold up a second

Don’t leave me here with this feelin

Like I’m the one for regrettin

Like I never did coke for a spoke

Like I never did pulled out that weapon

And stick that knife through my back

Was I supposed to accept it when your words are like

More than just sticks and stones kinda like a bullet

I don’t tip that lies in my bones and I can’t just swallow it

My pride is more than all that I own so I gotta give it away

Some of the times I’m all the way wrong but can’t you see past

Me and see my fucked up home that made me the meanest

The devil is just singin along to the song I write to alone at night

And I hang up the phone and bite my tongue

Cause I know that me and you is just only right, but one…

It doesn't matter if it is a metaphor. It doesn't fit. Tom is talking about his kids growing up and growing old (normal conflict and compromise in a relationships) and Werewolf is using drug and violent references to indicate that conflict.

It a very personal and great love song about a mature relationship. That does not fit with the rap part.

Maybe during "Stay together for the kids" Tom should have come in with "I want to kill my parents, oh yeah". That would make about as much sense as this bullshit.

I am not making up shit......

Wait a minute hold up a second

Don’t leave me here with this feelin

Like I’m the one for regrettin

Like I never did coke for a spoke

Like I never did pulled out that weapon

And stick that knife through my back

Was I supposed to accept it when your words are like

More than just sticks and stones kinda like a bullet

I don’t tip that lies in my bones and I can’t just swallow it

My pride is more than all that I own so I gotta give it away

Some of the times I’m all the way wrong but can’t you see past

Me and see my fucked up home that made me the meanest

The devil is just singin along to the song I write to alone at night

And I hang up the phone and bite my tongue

Cause I know that me and you is just only right, but one…

It doesn't matter if it is a metaphor. It doesn't fit. Tom is talking about his kids growing up and growing old (normal conflict and compromise in a relationships) and Werewolf is using drug and violent references to indicate that conflict.

It a very personal and great love song about a mature relationship. That does not fit with the rap part.

Maybe during "Stay together for the kids" Tom should have come in with "I want to kill my parents, oh yeah". That would make about as much sense as this bullshit.

I thought the line was "cope for us both"?

So no drugs then? point void.

I think the rap part about the weapons is relating to the parts of the song which reference them not always getting along and sometimes getting into fights and arguments, that's the metaphor that I see anyway.

For the record, I'm not a massive fan of the rap at all, but I at least can see that it isn't a violence filled/drug referenced part of the song, I think deep down you know it as well, you're just finding more excuses to dislike it that aren't there.

So no drugs then? point void.

I think the rap part about the weapons is relating to the parts of the song which reference them not always getting along and sometimes getting into fights and arguments, that's the metaphor that I see anyway.

For the record, I'm not a massive fan of the rap at all, but I at least can see that it isn't a violence filled/drug referenced part of the song, I think deep down you know it as well, you're just finding more excuses to dislike it that aren't there.

Main point not void.

Your connection of the rap lyrics to the original song is tenuous at best. I think we can both agree that the original song is about a mature relationship that has had it ups and downs but has endured. So let me ask you, how does that connect with the violent metaphor's used to display anger and frustration?

Tom's lyrics are not about a relationship that is frustrating to be in. It is a love song. So WTF is the point of such poignantly violent lyrics relate to a frustrating relationship?

Please address.

According to the interview, it would seem that they just had this no talent jerkoff sing on the song for shits and giggles at first. Then maybe they smoked a bowl with him or Tom had a few too many (what else is new?) and they put it on the final version.