interview with chris homes about recording Dogs Eating Dogs

bennett

it's not a problem, I would just rather have the other version so I can enjoy the song. I have nothing against rap and listen to some of the weirdest genres of music out there, yet I just don't like yelawolf's part.

I'm sure many people feel the same way. if that's the one thing stopping them from enjoying the EP all the way through, they should release the version without it.

Really, so you're saying you love the song, but when the rap comes on nearly at the end of the song, you're just like "TURN IT OFF I CAN'T LISTEN TO THIS GARBAGE", right?

Come on man get real, its far from as bad as people make it out to be. If you don't like rap, thats one thing, but to say a small verse kills the song or makes it un-enjoyable is just way over the top. 

I'm sure many people feel the same way. if that's the one thing stopping them from enjoying the EP all the way through, they should release the version without it.

No, just no.  If its the one thing stopping you from enjoying the EP, then either grow up and accept that not everything is going to go exactly as you want, learn to like it, or decide that this band isn't for you anymore.

I say that because I hope blink keeps pushing their boundaries in such ways as having guest rappers and trying different styles etc.  If there's a blink song or part of a song that you don't like because one element, Whoop-de-fucking-doo. (i don't like This is Home, but I'm not demanding the band goes in and fixes everything I perceive to be wrong with it, I just accept the song for what it is and move on, they have a pretty vast library)  I don't want the evolution of this band to be slowed down because some fans demand to hear songs as they perceive it to be the "right way" it was supposed to sound.

• Like 1

Really, so you're saying you love the song, but when the rap comes on nearly at the end of the song, you're just like "TURN IT OFF I CAN'T LISTEN TO THIS GARBAGE", right?

Come on man get real, its far from as bad as people make it out to be. If you don't like rap, thats one thing, but to say a small verse kills the song or makes it un-enjoyable is just way over the top. 

no. when the rap comes on i casually listen to it anyway or hit the skip button on whatever device i'm using like a normal human being. i am "getting real". i don't love song. rap or no rap, it's my least favorite on the EP regardless. the fact that you think i get genuinely pissed off by his guest vocals is hilarious.

No, just no.  If its the one thing stopping you from enjoying the EP, then either grow up and accept that not everything is going to go exactly as you want, learn to like it, or decide that this band isn't for you anymore.

I say that because I hope blink keeps pushing their boundaries in such ways as having guest rappers and trying different styles etc.  If there's a blink song or part of a song that you don't like because one element, Whoop-de-fucking-doo. (i don't like This is Home, but I'm not demanding the band goes in and fixes everything I perceive to be wrong with it, I just accept the song for what it is and move on, they have a pretty vast library)  I don't want the evolution of this band to be slowed down because some fans demand to hear songs as they perceive it to be the "right way" it was supposed to sound.

lol what the fuck, mike? i was saying that if i had a version without the rap, i'd enjoy every single track on the EP as a whole. i'm not labeling the EP as trash because there's one part i didn't like. there are worse blink songs out there by far. big deal, chris holmes said there's another version of the song out there and i want to hear it. guess i should stop listening to blink and grow up because i have an opinion 

i know you're not labeling the EP as trash, but I'm speaking in generalities.  If you don't like a song or a part of a song.  Just accept it for what it is, learn to like it, or be super ridiculous (as I perceive some people to be, not you personally) and just give up on the band.  Obviously thats hyperbole, but my point still stands.  It would just be a step back for the band to release the version with it taken out, thats the only way I see it.  I don't want them to go and "fix" all their music.  Obviously they are releasing the songs they want to release, and they are the ones that decide when a blink song is complete.  Clearly since the Yelawolf version of the song is the one they released, that is therefore also the complete version of the song, it is the song.  At one point there was a different version, but it clearly evolved into something more an they deemed it to be the final version.  I say accept that for what it is, or just don't like the song.  Don't clamor for this "fixed" version, cuz as i said, I would only see releasing that version as a step backward for the band.  Fuck that.

i think it ultimately depends on how they'd release it. if they released it as an itunes single i can see why you'd think it's a step backwards. but let's say it was released on a random compilation, movie soundtrack, bonus track on a promo CD single, etc? would that still be a step backwards because they made that b-side available?

they released the TLA version of "Down" on a CD single. was that a step backwards because they released the other version of the song?

i think it ultimately depends on how they'd release it. if they released it as an itunes single i can see why you'd think it's a step backwards. but let's say it was released on a random compilation, movie soundtrack, bonus track on a promo CD single, etc? would that still be a step backwards because they made that b-side available?

they released the TLA version of "Down" on a CD single. was that a step backwards because they released the other version of the song?

TLA version of Down wasn't a step backwards at all.  Nothing was taken out of the song, an extra Down Down Down was added.  I dig that, I find that version to be better than the original in terms of listening to Down on its own and not on the album, if I want to hear the album, the Down on there makes the most sense because the end also flows better into The Fallen Interlude.

I said it on the first page, I like alternate versions when what is displayed is an exchange or an addition not a subtraction.  Down TLA is an addition example.  An exchange would be the theoretical version of Hearts All Gone where Tom and Mark trade off vocals (doesn't exist, but would love it to).  A subtraction would be PLG without the rap.

I suppose if it were on a movie soundtrack or something like that, I'd be sort of OK with it, because I'd assume it was the people working on the movie that demanded that version, not the version blink presented to the movie execs when they asked to use it.  Maybe one day if they release a rarities album or something like that, I'd be alright with that too.  But right now, if its the only "new" thing we get from them between now and the next LP, then I would just be annoyed by the choice to ever release it.  

When self titled was released, I remember browsing forums like this, where a lot of blink fans were pissed that it didn't sound anything like enema or TOYPAJ and said they were done with the band.  I pereceive this to be similar to that.  If you don't like the new style, you can be annoyed by it, be hyperbolic and stop supporting blink, embrace it and see where the band evolves from here, or just accept it and hope the rest of their music isn't like it.

i don't think releasing a "rapless" version is necessary. maybe leak it a few months from now randomly or something, but it really doesn't matter.

PLG has a rap bridge. some may like it, some may not. some people don't like the pre-chorus to Up All Night, but that doesn't mean they have to release a different version of it.

it's not perfect, but there are other parts in blink songs that aren't perfect. just because in this instance it involves something outside the blink norm doesn't mean they have to release an alternate version. it's the official bridge of the song. you have no obligation to like it, but you also have no obligation to hear an alternate version.

I don't see Blink getting a producer anytime soon, Tom's ego is too big for that. I remember seeing an interview on the release of Neighborhoods, Tom was sitting in a hotel room saying how he doesn't have the time for "some guy trying to pull an idea out of me."

and that is just pathetic. you'd think he would have some humility now that he is older.

First off, I HATE the rap part in PLG. I think it destroys the song. It has nothing to do with thinking that Blink shouldn't have rap in their songs.....it is just.....complete shit IMO. It doesn't belong at all. I loved when Mark would add rap the the middle of dammit. That was good. Yeowolf's part just sounds so out of place. I usually shut off PLG when I hear that bullshit start.

I can;t believe people would think that releasing the song without the rap would devalue the track. That is fucking hilarious.

I love how Mike assumes that if you don't like the rap part you automatically aren't open to new ideas and shouldn't listen to Blink 182. He really has gone off the deep end.

I agree with Ghent that Blink needs someone who won;t be a "yes man".

First off, I HATE the rap part in PLG. I think it destroys the song. It has nothing to do with thinking that Blink shouldn't have rap in their songs.....it is just.....complete shit IMO. It doesn't belong at all. I loved when Mark would add rap the the middle of dammit. That was good. Yeowolf's part just sounds so out of place. I usually shut off PLG when I hear that bullshit start.

I can;t believe people would think that releasing the song without the rap would devalue the track. That is fucking hilarious.

I love how Mike assumes that if you don't like the rap part you automatically aren't open to new ideas and shouldn't listen to Blink 182. He really has gone off the deep end.

I agree with Ghent that Blink needs someone who won;t be a "yes man".

100% agreed. Believe it or not, I just came to this topic to say I think I've found out something: I think Jerry Finn has had a huge impact on Blink 182. I think there's a good chance if Blink got a good producer (or used one for Neighborhoods or DED) then their album would sound very differently, and probably better. I think Jerry Finn was a huge reason why Blink made succesful albums, he was kinda the "glue" that made their music better. They need a new Jerry Finn. 

Also agree about the rap part in PLG.

The comment that a song is devalued when it is released in different ways made me lol pretty hard.

Im th same. I love the song but hate the rap. Doesn't make me closed minded at all. Perhaps if it was done differently, i.e. Not yelawolf then perhaps it could have had potential. Releasing a non rap won't devalue the song at all.

Katy Perry released California Girls without Snoops part and that didn't stop the original from being a number one hit.

Here is why I don't really like the rap: First off the lyrics have basically nothing to do with what Tom is singing about. I almost feel like Werewolf didn't even hear the song when he wrote and sang that part. I would have no problem with Blink doing a rap song if it was good. The rap is PLG is just out of place and isn't good IMO.

100% agreed. Believe it or not, I just came to this topic to say I think I've found out something: I think Jerry Finn has had a huge impact on Blink 182. I think there's a good chance if Blink got a good producer (or used one for Neighborhoods or DED) then their album would sound very differently, and probably better. I think Jerry Finn was a huge reason why Blink made succesful albums, he was kinda the "glue" that made their music better. They need a new Jerry Finn. 

Also agree about the rap part in PLG.

The comment that a song is devalued when it is released in different ways made me lol pretty hard.

Thanks, and I agree, Jerry Finn was a huge part of what made Blink's sound.

Im th same. I love the song but hate the rap. Doesn't make me closed minded at all. Perhaps if it was done differently, i.e. Not yelawolf then perhaps it could have had potential. Releasing a non rap won't devalue the song at all. Katy Perry released California Girls without Snoops part and that didn't stop the original from being a number one hit.

they dont mean devalue its popularity.

It's kind of like them saying "here's a song that pushes our boundaries into things that are new and we've never done before... but also here's the version without it". Kind of a cop-out.