Star Wars Episode VII (news, discussion etc) [NO SPOILERS ALLOWED]

theedge00

With J.J. Abrams, you either get a great product or a terrible product.  Hopefully what he delivers is in line with Star Trek and not Armageddon or Lost.  Seriously I hated Lost so much.

But Michael Arndt is writing ep7. As for Lost, that's mostly on Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. JJ only came up with the idea and directed the pilot.

Anyway, JJ is a good director but nothing special...he hasn't really got a signature yet if you know what I mean.

isnt him directing still rumour? i read the ign article and it just says sources say he is. They announced the ep 8 and 9 writers a while ago and one was the dude who did empire and jedi wasnt it. I guess they want all the stories done asap otherwise its a kick in the teeth to arndt if he does a great job and doesnt get to carry on

I think the greatest truth is, that no matter what, this is gonna be better than any of the prequel movies.  i almost wish someone would just completely redo and change episodes 1-3 instead of moving on to 7.  

But yeah, what he did with Star Trek was phenomenal and I'm very excited for the sequel of that film.

I think the greatest truth is, that no matter what, this is gonna be better than any of the prequel movies.  i almost wish someone would just completely redo and change episodes 1-3 instead of moving on to 7.  

But yeah, what he did with Star Trek was phenomenal and I'm very excited for the sequel of that film.

im sorry but thats just silly to say.

I remember reading that episode 1 was going to be better than the ending of jedi. The story could suck it all could suck. We can just hope it doesnt.

im sorry but thats just silly to say.

I remember reading that episode 1 was going to be better than the ending of jedi. The story could suck it all could suck. We can just hope it doesnt.

Dude, episodes 1 and 2 are among the worst films of all time.  And episode 3 doesn't rank much higher.  i'm not just saying that, its true.  Lucas has lost whatever he once had.  You need not look further than the special editions of the original trilogy to see how he started ruining the Star Wars franchise in his later years.  But if you want an in depth explanation for why everything about the prequel trilogy is just wrong, watch the red letter media reviews on youtube.  Each review is about an hour and a half long and goes fully in depth for each film.  They make very very compelling arguments for why the prequel films are just awful.  And really given their argument, I can't think of how these new movies could possibly be close to as bad as any of the prequel films. And I say that as a huge Star Wars fan.

lol exactly, i didnt once say i thought they were brilliant, I've owned every copy of star wars released since 1992, with my parents owning them before that, so i have every version pretty much. There are younger generations who love the prequels and hate the originals. Everything is taste. I thought 1 was better than 2 and 3 the best of the bunch but still leagues below the originals. Just because JJ abrams who has directed 1 good and 2 decent films doesnt mean he will have be the difference here. He isn't writing it.

you can't say a film is awful, and pass it off as fact, because it's an opinion, even if it's the opinion of the majority of people. 

technically you can. It can be badly shot, badly written and badly acted. those are things that openly visible to all. it all just depends on whether people care or not 

Tyler and Dildo, true, I can't say for a fact that the prequel movies were among the worst films to ever be absorbed by my brain-holes.  But let me put it this way, in order for someone to make an objectively worse film than any of the prequel Star Wars films, I'd think they'd have to be mentally challenged.  J.J. Abrams is a lot of things, but he is certainly not mentally challenged.  I guarantee, and you can quote me on this, that by the time Episode VII is released, 99.99% of moviegoers (fans, non-fans and critics alike) will agree that its better than any of the prequel films.  Unless Abrams just royally fucks it up, and he'd have to fuck it up incredibly, beyond all possible ways I could possibly imagine.

i hope he does well also as i love the star wars world. 

But its silly to say theres no way he could make it bad. There will be people I 100% guarantee it, that say its the worst one ever made. It's all opinion.

Right as I said, about .01% of those that watch it will actually find it worse than the prequel trilogy.  Thats one out of every 10,000 people.  That seems very realistic to me.  If I'm wrong you can bitch at me when that happens, but I just don't see it happening at all.  And I never said there's no way he can make it bad, I just said there's no way it can be nearly as bad as the prequel trilogy.  Keep saying I'm wrong to assert that, but we'd have to be living in the saddest timeline ever if it somehow is worse or even as bad as any one of those movies.

prequel trilogy wasn't that bad. j.j. abrams awesome choice. how can one possibly dislike LOST?

I could rant on and on about all the things LOST did that annoyed me without even addressing the dismal finale.  But to make a long rant short, I found it to be a show that thought it was way better than it actually was.  And it didn't have a satisfying payoff at all.  Just disappointing overall.  

Watch these (they address everything thats wrong with the prequels in brilliant detail while incorporating humor into them) and then tell me the prequels were even alright (the great irony is I've watched these feature length reviews far more times than I've seen the actual prequels, because they're simply far more entertaining.  There's nothing like dissecting a terrible movie in great detail):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o1eTJhFP9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ98IRms8IA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4WSpGSxvDs

• Like 1