Star Wars Episode VII (news, discussion etc) [NO SPOILERS ALLOWED]

theedge00

3pgt1p.jpg

seriously dude, just watch them.  Watch them with an open mind.  If you go in with the mindset that the guy is full of crap and the prequels are decent no matter what anyone else says, you're not going to appreciate all the inconsistencies, terrible film-making decisions and all around crapiness that indeed exist in all 3 films. 

im the same way, ive seen the original trilogy hundreds of times, i just think the prequel hate is quite exaggerated. I dont think they are brilliant films, i do think they may have been aimed at capturing a younger audience though which is why the people who grew up with and where exposed to star wars pre the new trilogy dislike them so much.

The argument that the prequel trilogy was aimed at children never made sense to me for two reasons: 

1. All the senate shit is boring as hell, especially for a child, they aren't going to understand whats going on (I distinctly remember I had no idea what the fuck they were talking about nor did I care when I was a child watching it in theaters the first time).  No kid wants to sit around while they talk about a trade embargo.

2. Revenge of the Sith was rated PG-13 (only star wars film with that rating).  Anakin kills children.

Also, again, I remember even as a child thinking Jar Jar was terrible.  I loved Chewie and C3PO growing up (and still do), but even as a child I hated Jar Jar, though I did have one friend that genuinely liked him, so he must have appealed to some children, but I definitely was not one of them.

the senate stuff really didnt last long besides her trying to stop people invading her planet, the look and tone to me just screamed adolescence, but i can sit through 1 and 3, 2 makes me cringe until the last 30 minutes. 

I agree it did scream adolescence, but the films just never seemed to know who they were really targeting.  Was it children or a more mature audience?  If it was children, why have the senate stuff at all, it totally kills the pacing of the films, and made me lose interest, as a child I had a small attention span, that boring ass senate shit just kills the movies at the spot for a child, I remember leaving the first film and literally having no idea what (most) the plot of the movie was, yet at a younger age, I had a much greater understanding of the original trilogy after watching them the first time.  Also if it was for children, why was the third film meant to be the darkest film?  Why did it receive a higher rating (PG-13) than any film before it, why in a movie for children have the main character kill children?  And if the movies were for a mature audience as the third film and senate nonsense might have you believe, why have such a strong emphasis on Jar Jar or child Anakin?  Those movies were just a mess.

They weren't that bad. Could have been better, obviously, but it was still an entertaining ride.

It's funny how passionate the prequel haters get..I mean I get it, you hate those movies, but why not just ignore them and let the people who enjoy them enjoy them? Some lame YouTube breakdown is not going to change my opinion of them.

I'm sure in 10 years or so a certain nostalgia will kick in for the prequels just like it did for the originals.

Anyway, back to my main point, watch this clip from where it starts (roughly 23:29) for about about a minute or two, and tell me that Abrams behind the chair when it comes to the proper pacing of the movie alone will somehow be as bad or worse than what they did in the prequels. (its a comparison made with Abrams Star Trek movie long before episode VII was even announced, kinda crazy how perfect that is)  I mean, its dead true:

http://youtube/3Uy_k2qv8K8?t=23m29s

It's funny how passionate the prequel haters get..I mean I get it, you hate those movies, but why not just ignore them and let the people who enjoy them enjoy them? Some YouTube breakdown is not going to change my opinion of them.

Well you should watch them, because I used to think that episode 3 was actually decent, but then i watched all these reviews and they really did change my mind.  I realize that I was blinded by special effects and the belief that because its a darker movie its therefore good.  But dark does not equal good, and frankly the review made such a great argument for how crappy episode 3 is that I changed my opinion.  Maybe a youtube review wont change your opinion but it had the power to change my opinion.  If you have an open mind, a youtube review (especially his youtube reviews) definitely can change your opinion, by pointing out ridiculous inconsistencies and how the director/writer hopes you don't think too hard about certain things (heck, like I said they got me with Episode 3, I really did think that it was an alright film only a year ago). Thats why I recommend them, he makes brilliant brilliant points that I can't argue against, he's dead on.

we can never be sure anything is going to be good or bad until we see it. Plenty of films look great from their trailers then end up being total garbage..We wont know what each as an individual thinks until we have seen it in its entirety. All we can do is be looking forward to it

Well you should watch them, because I used to think that episode 3 was actually decent, but then i watched all these reviews and they really did change my mind.  I realize that I was blinded by special effects and the belief that because its a darker movie its therefore good.  But dark does not equal good, and frankly the review made such a great argument for how crappy episode 3 is that I changed my opinion.  Maybe a youtube review wont change your opinion but it had the power to change my opinion.  If you have an open mind, a youtube review (especially his youtube reviews) definitely can change your opinion, by pointing out ridiculous inconsistencies and how the director/writer hopes you don't think too hard about certain things (heck, like I said they got me with Episode 3, I really did think that it was an alright film only a year ago). Thats why I recommend them, he makes brilliant brilliant points that I can't argue against, he's dead on.

You seriously let a youtube video change your genuine, initial opinion of a movie?

You could pick any movie and if you tried hard enough could pick it to the death like people do with the prequels. there are inconsistencies and wtf moments in all kinds of popular movies, they just don't get attention because there isn't an army of nerd critics making youtube videos.

• 5 months later...

You seriously let a youtube video change your genuine, initial opinion of a movie?

You could pick any movie and if you tried hard enough could pick it to the death like people do with the prequels. there are inconsistencies and wtf moments in all kinds of popular movies, they just don't get attention because there isn't an army of nerd critics making youtube videos.

Yeah absolutely, he made fantastic points that really made me realize how crummy episode 3 was.  I never loved episode 3, but I used to think it was alright, though I only saw it twice.  I've seen that video dissecting it and tearing it apart, like 10 times now.  I love the humor of the reviews and all the inconsistencies, poor acting, shit that should not be, etc.etc. In a lot of ways it makes me like episode 3, only for how awful it is.  Not quite The Room or Birdemic level, but truly a film that makes a run for a good bad movie, the first two prequels admittedly make better runs for those titles, but they all have that value I think.

You seem baffled that re-examining something from a new perspective years later can cause one to change their opinion... I guess if thats your mindset, I question what value you give to public debates and elections.  Clearly your opinion can't be swayed by a new perspective, so whats the point.  This kinda of thought process concerns me for the future, I mean I know there are people that will always vote democratic or republican, but I'd like to believe that the majority of people aren't these kind of mindless drones and will accept new and different perspectives to alter their own.  And even if the majority of people are these kinds of sheep.  I can at least hold my head up high, know I'm an individual, and not one of these fools, I can make my own informed decisions, and I can accept and appreciate other people's opinions.  Take in new facts and figures, accept those that I agree with or have affected my personal opinion, and disregard those that have not altered my opinion.  So I will proudly sit here and say yes, I "seriously let a youtube video change my genuine, initial opinion of a movie."

Yeah, like how one tiny hole was enough to destroy the death star. Not to mention it took the death star ages to get a clear shot on the rebels's planet. It's very easy to nitpick and find inconsistencies in movies. Sure, Lucas could've found a better actor for anakin skywalker. At least he nailed it with obi wan kenobi.

Yeah, Hayden Christianson is the biggest universal complaint surround the prequels. He sucked especially in bad in episode 2. Also, they relied too much on special effects and skimped a bit on story.

Aside from that, it's just a bunch of low life fan boys crying like babies because the prequels didn't meet their godly expectations. It's one thing to say "meh, those could have been better." it's a whole other level of douche to delve into 10 minute videos picking them apart and actually choose to form your opinion based on those videos.