Mark Hoppus interview at Midem

Zoltan

Funny how Oliver acts like Mark needed Wentz. It doesnt matter what chart FOB was on top of blink and mark will always be more famous and always have more money.

Blink was broken up and almost certainly never getting back together (only the plane crash changed that).

There is no such as being famous forever or always having a career in music or always having money. Have you not seen the countless washed up celebrities?

At that point in time Mark needed Pete Wentz.

I don't believe Mark needed Pete for anything. Why didn't Mark become friends with someone even more powerful and famous then Pete if he was doing it out of a need?

I mean Pete gets a SHITTON of flak so I don't see why Mark would use Pete if he was just trying to stay relevant.

I don't believe Mark needed Pete for anything. Why didn't Mark become friends with someone even more powerful and famous then Pete if he was doing it out of a need?

I mean Pete gets a SHITTON of flak so I don't see why Mark would use Pete if he was just trying to stay relevant.

I am not really sure who would have been friends with Mark at a higher level. Tom would love to be friends with Bono, Bono would want nothing to do with him. Pete looked up to Mark for being in Blink, Mark saw Pete as his ticket to stay relevent (someone to tour with etc)  I am sure they were friendly, but a lot of it had to do with what each person could get from the other.

Hate to say it, but that is how friendships work.

I personally don't put stock in my own friendships anymore. Statistics say that you lose most of your friends....and that statistic has held up quite well for me. I've been burned before by people who I think are going to be around forever only to find that they disappear for no apparent reason.

you mustnt have very good friends if thats how you think friendships work.

I was friends (actually more like brothers) with this guy from the time I was 11 until I was 19 which is a very long time during that stage of your life. He got me into Blink actually. We hung out all the time....and after 8 year he literally just drifted away. No apparent reason at all. It was difficult for me to cope with it.

I think after that I never really put much stock in friendships anymore and I've had some great friends since that time. But I don't get all that close. When they disappear I don't really lose any sleep over it. Here today and gone tomorrow.

It was a good interview. Very business oriented. Mark seems like a very polished person.  Almost looks like some middle aged yuppie you'd see out golfing at the local country club. Not an insult just an impression.

I do think he seems very comfortable in who he is; however, it is clear to me from his associations with Pete Wentz, associations with other up and coming bands, and his lack of creative force in Blink these days, that he is a bit insecure in his music.

haha cuz they hang out all the time.  I wonder if they've even talked with any of the FOB guys since the reunion tour.  He hung out with Pete back in the day cuz their paths crossed and they tried to form a bond.  Seems clear to me that the bond just didn't work out.  But I think its also unfair to say that he only formed the bond for personal gain or increased fame (don't really think he cares so much about fame as other in his shoes do, Pete probably got more out of that relationship for personal gain than Mark did).

As for insecure I disagree.  I think its just a matter of Mark is more proud of what he writes, and less willing to put out something that he isn't 100% satisfied with.  Its why he writes so much less of the blink tunes than Tom.  Its why there's only been one +44 album.  Its also why his music is drastically better than Tom's.  He doesn't crank them out, he takes his time and doesn't drop his tunes until he's completely satisfied with it.  I can appreciate that.  Sure its frustrating as a fan, but its also admirable as someone who appreciates good writing and good music.

haha cuz they hang out all the time.  I wonder if they've even talked with any of the FOB guys since the reunion tour.  He hung out with Pete back in the day cuz their paths crossed and they tried to form a bond.  Seems clear to me that the bond just didn't work out.  But I think its also unfair to say that he only formed the bond for personal gain or increased fame (don't really think he cares so much about fame as other in his shoes do, Pete probably got more out of that relationship for personal gain than Mark did).

As for insecure I disagree.  I think its just a matter of Mark is more proud of what he writes, and less willing to put out something that he isn't 100% satisfied with.  Its why he writes so much less of the blink tunes than Tom.  Its why there's only been one +44 album.  Its also why his music is drastically better than Tom's.  He doesn't crank them out, he takes his time and doesn't drop his tunes until he's completely satisfied with it.  I can appreciate that.  Sure its frustrating as a fan, but its also admirable as someone who appreciates good writing and good music.

I will admit you theory is also very plausible. I don't think I was ever trying to imply that there wasn't some friendship between Mark and Pete, but I do believe a lot of it was rooted in each others position in life.

I am not sure Mark's songs are all that better than Tom's (some are, some aren't IMO) but you could be right. However, pre hiatus Mark seemed to write a lot more stuff. I always felt that Mark and Tom had an equal footing in the band.....not so sure anymore.

Blink was broken up and almost certainly never getting back together (only the plane crash changed that).

There is no such as being famous forever or always having a career in music or always having money. Have you not seen the countless washed up celebrities?

At that point in time Mark needed Pete Wentz.

Once again, Mark NEVER needed Pete. They would of sold out bigger shows and more records regardless of weather he befriended pete or not. Anyone with any common sense can understand this.  ( No personal attack intended )

Once again, Mark NEVER needed Pete. They would of sold out bigger shows and more records regardless of weather he befriended pete or not. Anyone with any common sense can understand this.  ( No personal attack intended )

LOL.....yeah, right. Plus 44 sold 10K albums and played club shows.....vs Blink selling millions and playing to sold out 18K seat areans.

Nope, I don't see any difference at all there.

Mark's "friendship" with Pete allowed him to open in arenas with Plus 44 and give the band more exposure.  Mark might have been able to find someone else who'd let him open.....but at the time FOB was on top and Pete was the next big thing. There was no on better for Mark to become "friends" with in order to stay relevent and he knew that.

It was so obvious during that time that Mark was trying to get himself associated with Pete. It was always in the media "Mark and Pete".

Thank God FOB are no more...... Now if we could just get rid of Justin Bieber and One Direction. WTF happend to pop music?

LOL.....yeah, right. Plus 44 sold 10K albums and played club shows.....vs Blink selling millions and playing to sold out 18K seat areans.

Nope, I don't see any difference at all there.

Mark's "friendship" with Pete allowed him to open in arenas with Plus 44 and give the band more exposure.  Mark might have been able to find someone else who'd let him open.....but at the time FOB was on top and Pete was the next big thing. There was no on better for Mark to become "friends" with in order to stay relevent and he knew that.

It was so obvious during that time that Mark was trying to get himself associated with Pete. It was always in the media "Mark and Pete".

Thank God FOB are no more...... Now if we could just get rid of Justin Bieber and One Direction. WTF happend to pop music?

I'm talking about blink not +44. And I'm pretty sure +44 would be the headliner with FOB opening for them if that ever went down, unless I'm wrong.

I'm talking about blink not +44. And I'm pretty sure +44 would be the headliner with FOB opening for them if that ever went down, unless I'm wrong.

Plus 44 headlining for FOB? No way in hell. A FOB reunion tour would sell well and very few outside committed Blink fans even know who or what Plus 44 is.

If you are talking about Blink let me remind you that they did not exist in 2007 when Mark and Pete were friends.

Actually Oliver there are Rumors that FOB are back together.

Yeah, I heard this.....none of their solo projects went anywhere. I am sure they will eventually.....But I think it will be a lot like a Blink reunion. It will be a "remember those days?" reunion and not an effort to write new material; at least for awhile.

Plus 44 headlining for FOB? No way in hell. A FOB reunion tour would sell well and very few outside committed Blink fans even know who or what Plus 44 is.

If you are talking about Blink let me remind you that they did not exist in 2007 when Mark and Pete were friends.

Any decently popular bands will sell a shit load of tickets after a long "break up"