Books

Pussay Patrol

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

The same exact fucking think happened again ... I'm never going to actually read this. I'm such a piece of shit failure. I should just fucking kill myself. I deserve to die, I hate me.

Dante has a flair for the dramatic and it's a difficult read, but do you really want to miss him fainting every time he gets himself into something too difficult to explain or whenever he is overwhelmed by what he sees? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the process of trying to collect all the Star Wars books from the 90s up to when disney took over, basically the "legends"  I used to read them a lot from the library when I was a kid, but I missed out on a lot of them. I have 82 of them so far, there's a ton of them still to get. I manage to average reading through at least one a week, so it's pretty fun to go grab another one from half price books every friday.

Reading Hyperion right now, almost finished it. Probably the best sci-fi novel I've ever read. I really love everything about it. It has great pacing, a variety of characters that are very believable and offer substantial character development, very immersive world building, and the overall mystery and build up of the plot is fantastic. Dan Simmons has an unreal vocabulary, but not to the point that it is obnoxious. Highly recommend anyone pick it up that wants a good adventure or sci-fi novel. It's too bad the SyFy channel holds the rights to the series. 

I'll probably read the Witcher: The Last Wish next, as a Netflix series is incoming. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Hyperion, really solid sci-fi novel, I'd give it an 8.5/10.

Started the Witcher: The Last Wish and read around 60 pages and got a bit bored. It's alright, it's just not very cohesive and reads like a bunch of short stories thrown together (that might be what the author was going for). It's VERY similar to watching the cutscenes of the video game and going on quests - the book reads exactly how you'd expect if you've played the games. I took a break on it, will probably return to it before the Netflix series is released.

I'm reading Ready Player One right now. This book is awesome. It's really easy to jump into and enjoy and has been a page turner so far. If you have any interest in video games, 80s/90s culture, or just a good adventure/sci-fi novel, you'd enjoy this for sure. 

I read 30 books this year and I’ve got to say that’s probably my only great accomplishment of 2017.

I recently discovered Paul Auster and his metaphysical detective novels. I loved Leviathan, The Brooklyn Follies and The Trilogy of New York, I will read more of his books next year. 

• Like 1

I've been reading comics and short stories in 2017 due to my lack of time but I've been itching to read some more Vonnegut. Already read Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle so far. Any other suggestions on where to go from there? I might pick up a collection of his short stories as my 60-hour work week is about to start up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elisa said:

I read 30 books this year and I’ve got to say that’s probably my only great accomplishment of 2017.

I recently discovered Paul Auster and his metaphysical detective novels. I loved Leviathan, The Brooklyn Follies and The Trilogy of New York, I will read more of his books next year. 

Damn, that's impressive. That's what I want my 2018 to be like. I took a break from reading books because my motivation to read was ruined during university (too much time spent reading dry textbooks). It feels good to have my interest in books revitalized recently.

Can I get some recommendations? My gf and I spent like $400 at the book store the other day. I'm having a tough time deciding what I want to read next. Options include: Hillary Clinton's book (What Happened), Annihilation (movie is being made by the director that did Ex Machina), Elon Musk biography, Richard Branson biography, Star Wars: Specter of the Past - The Hand of Thrawn (heard this was the best book series to start with), The Art of War, Dune Messiah, Fall of Hyperion, The Handmaid's Tale (never read a Margaret Atwood novel and haven't watched the show yet), Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I Am Legend (watched half the movie, it was meh but I heard the book was better). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarkerpes said:

Damn, that's impressive. That's what I want my 2018 to be like. I took a break from reading books because my motivation to read was ruined during university (too much time spent reading dry textbooks). It feels good to have my interest in books revitalized recently.

Can I get some recommendations? My gf and I spent like $400 at the book store the other day. I'm having a tough time deciding what I want to read next. Options include: Hillary Clinton's book (What Happened), Annihilation (movie is being made by the director that did Ex Machina), Elon Musk biography, Richard Branson biography, Star Wars: Specter of the Past - The Hand of Thrawn (heard this was the best book series to start with), The Art of War, Dune Messiah, Fall of Hyperion, The Handmaid's Tale (never read a Margaret Atwood novel and haven't watched the show yet), Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I Am Legend (watched half the movie, it was meh but I heard the book was better). 

Thanks! I'm proud of that because it was the same for me.. like other big fans of reading, I stopped picking up books "for fun" in university when there was so much reading "for school", especially when it's law school and you spend entire days studying and memorizing stuffs, I was always so tired that reading other books in my free time was the last thing on my mind. But I wanted to get back on track.

A good tip is to set a challenge on Goodreads and keep your progress up to date.  It kept me motivated! 

I loved Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Art of War (but I wouldn't start with that). I was talking to a friend recently and he told me to read Annihilation before the movie comes out, he always recommends me cool stuffs to watch and read so I think we should both read it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vic vinegar said:

I've been reading comics and short stories in 2017 due to my lack of time but I've been itching to read some more Vonnegut. Already read Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle so far. Any other suggestions on where to go from there? I might pick up a collection of his short stories as my 60-hour work week is about to start up.

Man Without a Country is a must-reading collection of short stories. Vonnegut is mad as hell about so many things but still makes you laugh and feel. 

Harrison Bergeron is another short story I really really liked. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Man Without a Country is a must-reading collection of short stories. Vonnegut is mad as hell about so many things but still makes you laugh and feel. 

Harrison Bergeron is another short story I really really liked. 

Sold. I'll see if any of my local bookstores have it next time I'm browsing. Angry Vonnegut is my favorite Vonnegut. Though reflective Vonnegut is just as good. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Love 1

Ive actually read a few books this year which is surprising for me. Too much time spent living in hotel rooms. 

I read Kitchen Confidential-Anthony Bourdains first book that made him famous, Steven Rinellas book American Buffalo,  a great old book on conservation called A Sand County Almanac and most recently I bought a trio of books by Cormac McCarthy known as the border trio. So far I read All the Pretty Horses and am on The Crossing. 

It's been a while since I've read anything ... Which sucks as I now have to start my other books over. I'm going to make a list of books to finish in 2018; for now though I am reading "Dear Reader: The Unauthorized Autobiography of Kim Jong Il".

Just finished Ready Player One.

It was a good, fun read. I'd compare it to Harry Potter in terms of how easy it is to read and the overall adventure and target audience. I found the first half of the book much better than the second half, but it was still an enjoyable conclusion. I'm really excited for the movie that's coming out in a few months. It's definitely worth reading for some light hearted fun and adventure. 

• 5 weeks later...

I've always wanted to read "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt, but I was a little intimidated by the 900 pages and I put it on a shelf. Then, a few days ago, I read the news about the film-adaptation of the book and I decided it was the right time to read it.
The first few hundred pages are very slow, but when the story begins it's all a hurricane, there are some redundant descriptions but the characters are fantastic and the plot is intriguing. One of the most beautiful modern novels I have read.

I saw that people say Donna Tartt's style reminds them of Dickens but to me it is more a long winded version of Salinger. I recommend it.

Then I read The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I preferred The Goldfinch but it was another compelling book, I couldn't put it down. It's a little like Dead Poets Society, but with way more drug/alcohol abuse and murder. The characters are ancient Greek students and it made me realise it's been ten years since high school, I reeeally miss studying ancient Greek.