Books

Pussay Patrol

• 4 weeks later...

The 1994 The Stand mini-series is pretty great too. It has its B-movie moments, but as a whole they got the characters right (with the exception of Molly Ringwald as Frannie; the "love-making" scene between her and Gary Sinise, who played Stu, is awkward as hell) and the whole plague-ridden, empty America bathing in intense July heat fascinated me to no end as a teenager. In fact, I owe a lot of my fascination and love of America to The Stand. I'd take out a map of the United States and mark down all the locations and routes mentioned in the series/book, tracking down the movement of all the characters as they headed toward Boulder and Las Vegas. I read the book shortly after I saw the series and I think the great casting of the series was of great help in putting correct faces on the characters.

I recently finished one of the prequel novels to the Mass Effect Andromeda game and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. not going to pretend it was the best writing ever but considering it was a tie in for a failed franchise it was pretty damn good. instantly made me restart ME:Andromeda as well so I guess I'm replaying that for the third time in 2 years. 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:11 PM, MSandt said:

The 1994 The Stand mini-series is pretty great too. It has its B-movie moments, but as a whole they got the characters right (with the exception of Molly Ringwald as Frannie; the "love-making" scene between her and Gary Sinise, who played Stu, is awkward as hell) and the whole plague-ridden, empty America bathing in intense July heat fascinated me to no end as a teenager. In fact, I owe a lot of my fascination and love of America to The Stand. I'd take out a map of the United States and mark down all the locations and routes mentioned in the series/book, tracking down the movement of all the characters as they headed toward Boulder and Las Vegas. I read the book shortly after I saw the series and I think the great casting of the series was of great help in putting correct faces on the characters.

The Harold dressing like a bad ass in the show made me lol. It was on netflix a few years ago and had to turn it off when i saw that shit. Sinise was a great stu.

1 minute ago, Alan Rickman said:

The Harold dressing like a bad ass in the show made me lol. It was on netflix a few years ago and had to turn it off when i saw that shit. Sinise was a great stu.

M-O-O-N that spells Gary Sinise is a national treasure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new translation of Divine Comedy and so I'm going to start that again, it should be the entire trilogy if I'm not mistaken. I need to bring back the yearly reading list ... I only read 5 or 6 of the 12 books I chose to read last year, although I read a few unplanned ones as well ... I feel better when I read and I don't know why it's such a hard habit for me to embrace and keep up with.

I read I Am Ozzy - Ozzy Osbourne's book.

It's a pretty hilarious story. How he became famous and all the wacky shit he did along the way is really entertaining to read. It's also a good tale on addiction and struggling with substance abuse. Not very preachy at all, just his honest take on how to battle addiction without making him sound like he's a saint or will ever be fully clean. 

• 3 months later...

I watched a few episodes of Good Omens and enjoyed it, figured I'd read the book before going any further so that's where we are at tonight ... on the couch with my Kindle, girls all asleep and gonna start the book.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, MSandt said:

Sowell is an excellent writer, one of my favorites. The book isn't technical at all (unlike econ textbooks) and Sowell writes with a lot of clarity.

I'm gonna count this as a vote, you win, Basic Economics it is!

• 2 months later...

A while back I picked up and started Reclaiming History by Bugliosi but never got around to finishing it. Last week I ordered Lifton's Best Evidence. Both books are renowned works on JFK's assassination, one dealing with Oswald being the lone assassin and the other dealing with a conspiratorial angle. I think these two will be my next read, I'm gonna try and do them in tandem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 7:07 PM, Speedo said:

I bought Dune tonight, gonna give that a go soon.

You read much Dune yet? I didn't fully appreciate it after my first read (I'd give it a 7.5/10 at best) but after reading some more stuff online, I can see why it's considered such a masterpiece. I still have the sequel on my bookshelf, just haven't built up the interest to return to it. The movie should be awesome though. 

7 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

You read much Dune yet? I didn't fully appreciate it after my first read (I'd give it a 7.5/10 at best) but after reading some more stuff online, I can see why it's considered such a masterpiece. I still have the sequel on my bookshelf, just haven't built up the interest to return to it. The movie should be awesome though. 

I haven't even cracked it yet. I've been trying to get through some other books first. 

This place should have a book club.