Books

Pussay Patrol

7 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I love The Hobbit book but didn't like The Hobbit movies.

I love the LOTR movies but I couldn't get past the first part of the first book. Never even got out of the shire when I tried reading it lol

Fellowship the book is a slow start. It seriously feels like it takes forever for them to get to Bree especially with all the stuff that isn’t in the movies like Bombadil. I still love it though. Tolkien just describes everything so well. Once you reach Bree everything picks up. You should give it another go!

Fellowship the movie is so damn good too. That first hour in the shire is just so damn comfy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russel Coight said:

Fellowship the book is a slow start. It seriously feels like it takes forever for them to get to Bree especially with all the stuff that isn’t in the movies like Bombadil. I still love it though. Tolkien just describes everything so well. Once you reach Bree everything picks up. You should give it another go!

Fellowship the movie is so damn good too. That first hour in the shire is just so damn comfy.

Return of the King is one of the best movies ever made imo. Really the whole trilogy, but especially the third movie.

My brain isn't really letting me read books right now but I assume one day I'll give the books another go. Maybe I'll read The Hobbit first to hype myself up haha.

3 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Return of the King is one of the best movies ever made imo. Really the whole trilogy, but especially the third movie.

My brain isn't really letting me read books right now but I assume one day I'll give the books another go. Maybe I'll read The Hobbit first to hype myself up haha.

I’ve still never read the hobbit. Might see if I can pick it up somewhere this weekend.

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

You're dead to me.

They're my wife's favorite movies and I've sat through them several times ... including, a few months ago, the extended versions ... all 11 hours of it. I'd do the same for you.

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

They're my wife's favorite movies and I've sat through them several times ... including, a few months ago, the extended versions ... all 11 hours of it. I'd do the same for you.

They’re my favourite too. Extended is the right way to go. I like your wife more and more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm reading the Bhagavad Gita, a holy text in Hinduism .

I feel like my stance on religion/spirituality is changing. I was a solid atheist. However, I see the same patterns and messages in all the kinds of philosophy/works I read. I know what myth can do for people in terms of uniting/dividing communities or engineering some inner transformation in an single person. I feel like their specific metaphors, tales, incarnations are all trying to point in the same direction. That direction is helping me deal with my emotions and life and people in a better way.

To understand the Gita, I'm reading Ram Dass's guide on it at the same time. The guy is a fucking treasure

download.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just finished A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. I didn’t know anything about it before I started reading but it turned out to be one of the most heart- and gut-wrenching things I’ve ever read. It’s been years since last time I felt this sad after finishing a book.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a bit of a Richard Matheson kick lately. I've read through I Am Legend and I'm currently reading What Dreams May Come. Both are excellent and I highly recommend them ... as well as the majority of Matheson's work.

I'm also about a third of the way through Mythos by Stephen Fry ... its a retelling of Ancient Greek Myths. Again, highly recommend!