Books

Pussay Patrol

What Dreams May Come was great but not at all like the movie.

I have 3 books lined up to read ... On Liberty, Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and Japan's Infamous Unit 731 ... but since those are going to be pretty weighty, I've decided to read the the Percy Jackson series first. Yesterday I read book 1, tonight I'll start the second. I figure by the time I finish this series, I should be pretty good to start the heavier stuff.

I just read Ready Player Two. I liked it, not as good as the first but it was okay. Its been ages since I actually got through a book, so I've started The Ship by Antonia Honey well. Good so far! 

• 4 weeks later...

I recently finished "The Ship" by Antonia Honeywell. I was really into it at the start, the premise is interesting, but the main character is extremely unlikeable the more you read and I just ended up hating it because of her. Such a shame, it was like a cool story buried beneath the first person's bullshit. 

9 hours ago, SpinUpSpeedo said:

I should have never started the Percy Jackson books.

how's it going? i've only read the first book but have heard similar things from people who have read the others.

4 minutes ago, Nasa said:

how's it going? i've only read the first book but have heard similar things from people who have read the others.

They're okay, they're quick reads and they aren't bad books. I guess my complaint is that there isn't a lot of world building, like Rowling did with the Harry Potter series. I guess that makes sense, since it's based on Greek myths but, still, it could use a little more explaining. It's a lot of "they go here and this monster attacks (insert random Greek monster) and they are on a quest to find (insert random Greek mythological object) because ... reasons." It's just very rushed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

I finished it. It was okay. I prefer Lotr so much more though. 

My dad read The Hobbit to me when I was super young and when he played the character of Smaug it scared the absolute piss out of me, he did the voice and everything.  

Tolkien intended it as a children's fairy tale so it makes sense why the LOTR appeals more.

4 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

My dad read The Hobbit to me when I was super young and when he played the character of Smaug it scared the absolute piss out of me, he did the voice and everything.  

Tolkien intended it as a children's fairy tale so it makes sense why the LOTR appeals more.

Your dad sounds like a good bloke.

Yeah I kept reminding myself it was a children’s book more or less when I was reading it. I’ve read lotr a few times now so I guess I’m just more used to that style of Tolkien’s writing and just couldn’t appreciate the less serious style as much.

That being said I jumped straight into reading Fellowship afterwards and in the first chapter alone picked up a few references that had gone completely over my head previously so that was nice.

• Like 1

I am over halfway through Peter Pan, the original novel by J.M. Barrie. Has anyone ever read it? Peter Pan is a creepy little fucker and Tinker Bell? --Out there trying to murder people haha. It really is a magical book, but dark elements about it I had no idea about.

• 2 weeks later...

Started reading Harry Potter to my oldest tonight, doing a chapter a night before bed. She's young yet so she's probably more bored than anything and I suck at reading out loud but hopefully she keeps it as a good memory in her life.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:30 PM, Speedo said:

Larry McMurtry died ... that's a bummer, the Lonesome Dove series were some of my favorite books. I think I'll reread them. 

Damn I was just coming in here to tell you I started Lonesome Dove and am in love. I'm actually glad I saw the TV miniseries first because I was already in love with those characters. Now I see that they were faithful to the book and it's like getting major bonus content.

We haven't even left Lonesome Dove where I'm at (~100 pages deep) and I already consider this an American classic.

Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Damn I was just coming in here to tell you I started Lonesome Dove and am in love. I'm actually glad I saw the TV miniseries first because I was already in love with those characters. Now I see that they were faithful to the book and it's like getting major bonus content.

We haven't even left Lonesome Dove where I'm at (~100 pages deep) and I already consider this an American classic.

Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

Are you planning to read the others as well? There are a few ways to read them ... the order the books were written:

Lonesome Dove (1985)
Streets of Laredo (1993)
Dead Man's Walk (1995)
Comanche Moon (1997)

The second is chronological order:
Dead Man's Walk – set in the early 1840s
Comanche Moon – set in the 1850–60s
Lonesome Dove – set in mid-to-late 1870s
Streets of Laredo – set in the early 1890s

You'll find there are some continuity issues between the books, some events happen differently depending on which one you read but they didn't ruin the stories for me.

Personally, my favorite is Dead Man's Walk.