Books

Pussay Patrol

10 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Are you planning to read the others as well? There are a few ways to read them ... the order the books were written:

Lonesome Dove (1985)
Streets of Laredo (1993)
Dead Man's Walk (1995)
Comanche Moon (1997)

The second is chronological order:
Dead Man's Walk – set in the early 1840s
Comanche Moon – set in the 1850–60s
Lonesome Dove – set in mid-to-late 1870s
Streets of Laredo – set in the early 1890s

You'll find there are some continuity issues between the books, some events happen differently depending on which one you read but they didn't ruin the stories for me.

Personally, my favorite is Dead Man's Walk.

Do Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon have Gus in them? I am, and always have been, a Gus stan. Streets of Laredo probably interests me the least

16 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Do Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon have Gus in them? I am, and always have been, a Gus stan. Streets of Laredo probably interests me the least

Yeah, he's in both of those ... he is only missing from SoL.

• 5 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Speedo said:

@Ghent did you get around to the other Lonesome Dove books?

I’m still on the first actually, about 3/4 through. Had to take a break as I was on vacation. Just read a bunch last night actually

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in the middle of the first Dark Tower book atm, loving it. Can’t wait to find out more about the strange world they inhabit, Roland’s history and the motivations of the Man in Black. 

@Speedo looking at mentions of it, this is your series right ? I heard the second book is even better than the first . I’m excited dad ! 

6 hours ago, _Bagel said:

I’m in the middle of the first Dark Tower book atm, loving it. Can’t wait to find out more about the strange world they inhabit, Roland’s history and the motivations of the Man in Black. 

@Speedo looking at mentions of it, this is your series right ? I heard the second book is even better than the first . I’m excited dad ! 

The first 4 are amazing ... it gets a little dicey from there. I enjoyed the later books but not everyone did.

On 6/9/2021 at 4:35 PM, Speedo said:

@Ghent did you get around to the other Lonesome Dove books?

I've about finished the first now. I wasn't really 3/4 of the way when I last reported, was more like half probably.

Bottom line is it's an incredibly epic tale. The TV series does the book justice, but the book takes it all to an entirely different level.

To me, this is cult level. LotR, SW style. I want to live in this world. Video game. It is not the typical romanticized western that people think it is. Ahead of its times for sure.

Gus McCrae is one of the best characters ever

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

I've about finished the first now. I wasn't really 3/4 of the way when I last reported, was more like half probably.

Bottom line is it's an incredibly epic tale. The TV series does the book justice, but the book takes it all to an entirely different level.

To me, this is cult level. LotR, SW style. I want to live in this world. Video game. It is not the typical romanticized western that people think it is. Ahead of its times for sure.

Gus McCrae is one of the best characters ever

I'm glad you like it! I'm excited for you to get into the other books!

11 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I just looked it up and I think Lonesome Dove is the book I need right now. Fuck it, I'm gonna buy it. I trust you @Ghent and@Speedo!

I will be truly interested in what you think since you're out of what was likely the target demo.

Are me and Speedo such fans because we are midwest/southern simps? Or is it universally appealing?

@Speedo Was just reading through some reviews and saw this. Funny I mentioned LOTR earlier, I hadn't put this much thought into it. (spoiler)

Spoiler

LONESOME DOVE IS LORD OF THE RINGS, ALMOST

And something I noticed – it could be that this is in the nature of most epic stories, but there was a Lord of the Rings vibe about the shape of the whole thing. The first 100 page is as leisurely and unhurried as the first 100 pages of LOTR leading up to Bilbo’s birthday party. A little later the Company of the Ring is formed (nine members). In Lonesome Dove the two ex-Rangers put together a Company themselves for their epic task - seven members. There isn’t a Mordor or a Dark Lord, but the Indians are the Orcs, for sure. Then after the task is accomplished, there is an elegiac, lengthy return to the Shire encountering old faces along the way, exactly mirrored by Captain Call’s return to Lonesome Dove.

27 minutes ago, Ghent said:

@Speedo Was just reading through some reviews and saw this. Funny I mentioned LOTR earlier, I hadn't put this much thought into it. (spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

LONESOME DOVE IS LORD OF THE RINGS, ALMOST

And something I noticed – it could be that this is in the nature of most epic stories, but there was a Lord of the Rings vibe about the shape of the whole thing. The first 100 page is as leisurely and unhurried as the first 100 pages of LOTR leading up to Bilbo’s birthday party. A little later the Company of the Ring is formed (nine members). In Lonesome Dove the two ex-Rangers put together a Company themselves for their epic task - seven members. There isn’t a Mordor or a Dark Lord, but the Indians are the Orcs, for sure. Then after the task is accomplished, there is an elegiac, lengthy return to the Shire encountering old faces along the way, exactly mirrored by Captain Call’s return to Lonesome Dove.

One of these days I'm gonna make it through the first few pages of lotr and read the damn thing. I've started that series so many times and never made it past the first 50 pages.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Speedo said:

One of these days I'm gonna make it through the first few pages of lotr and read the damn thing. I've started that series so many times and never made it past the first 50 pages.

The first 50, maybe even 100 pages of fellowship are so damn slow but it’s so worth it. You just gotta power through. Once they leave the shire it gets great.

That being said I fucking love those first 100 pages. Just comfy shire living with some hobbit bros. Learning all about them. It’s awesome.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ghent said:

I will be truly interested in what you think since you're out of what was likely the target demo.

Are me and Speedo such fans because we are midwest/southern simps? Or is it universally appealing?

I think it's universally appealing. There is grit, honesty, and often an underpinning of decency there that is absent in other culturally geographic influenced books I've read through the years. 
I haven't read many westerns though, what I have read is a few Cormack McCarthy and Elmore Leonard books, True Grit, The Sisters Brothers and a book about Deadwood because I loved the tv show. I'm looking forward to this one! It had next-day delivery with Amazon Prime so it should arrive today. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

The first 50, maybe even 100 pages of fellowship are so damn slow but it’s so worth it. You just gotta power through. Once they leave the shire it gets great.

That being said I fucking love those first 100 pages. Just comfy shire living with some hobbit bros. Learning all about them. It’s awesome.

I too have never made it past the beginning of the book, which is odd because I love that part of the movie. So cozy haha. I'll definitely have to give the books another chance one of these days.

16 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I too have never made it past the beginning of the book, which is odd because I love that part of the movie. So cozy haha. I'll definitely have to give the books another chance one of these days.

There’s some real slow moments even once they get out of the shire but before they reach Bree but it’s all great. I’ve read the series every year for for the last 5 years and it’s nearing that time again this year. Just love it.

• Like 1