Books

Pussay Patrol

I'm only 100 pages in but I already love all the characters and their world. I know that this book is going to be amazing.

Thanks for talking about it, I never would have found it on my own. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 4:53 AM, Elisa said:

I'm only 100 pages in but I already love all the characters and their world. I know that this book is going to be amazing.

Thanks for talking about it, I never would have found it on my own. 

Are you referring to Lonesome Dove?!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

I'm proud of us!

The closer I get to the end, the more I want it to continue. This is a great American classic, people just don’t know it yet.

And the fact that I’ve seen the tv mini series so many times, but still hold the novel in such high regard says something. I know what’s going to happen, but I’m still enjoying the ride.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

Are you referring to Lonesome Dove?!

Yes, I'm completely immersed in Lonesome Dove. It really feels like reading a classic. The characters are incredibly vivid, it draws you in from page one, and it's just such effortless reading. I was up until 1 am last night reading, I got to the chapter where Sean was bitten by the snake.

I will definitely read all of the prequel/sequels this summer! 

11 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Yes, I'm completely immersed in Lonesome Dove. It really feels like reading a classic. The characters are incredibly vivid, it draws you in from page one, and it's just such effortless reading. I was up until 1 am last night reading, I got to the chapter where Sean was bitten by the snake.

I will definitely read all of the prequel/sequels this summer! 

I'm really glad you're enjoying it! It's so cool seeing a series I've loved for years being picked up by new readers.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Anyone use a kindle? Or other ebook reader? Considering getting one but unsure. 

I do!

How are you feeling about getting one?

5 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I do!

How are you feeling about getting one?

Just considering it for how easy it is. Mainly I want one for reading at night with the light off before bed. Our main bedroom light is too much and I don’t have a lamp. Lamp is probably cheaper than a kindle but there’s other perks. Have you got one with the backlight? If so what’s it’s like in the dark?

I was reading though and they seem to think a new model/revisions might be due out this year so might just wait and see how that goes.

5 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Anyone use a kindle? Or other ebook reader? Considering getting one but unsure. 

I've got the Kindle Fire HD as well as the PaperWhite and, honestly, all I ever use is the PaperWhite. I strictly use it as a reader so I don't need a ton of apps or access to a browser or anything. It's a little laggy but it does its job just fine... also, it is back-lit and I've not had issues reading in the dark or light. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Just considering it for how easy it is. Mainly I want one for reading at night with the light off before bed. Our main bedroom light is too much and I don’t have a lamp. Lamp is probably cheaper than a kindle but there’s other perks. Have you got one with the backlight? If so what’s it’s like in the dark?

I was reading though and they seem to think a new model/revisions might be due out this year so might just wait and see how that goes.

I have the smaller backlit model and it works well regardless of time of day. I read at night before bed, and it's nice to be able to lie on my side or on my back, as opposed to propped up on a pillow with a light on like I had to do when I read regular books.

I got one because I 1) wanted to strengthen my ability to focus on reading without distractions and 2) sought to cut down on my physical library. I've succeeded on both fronts. I've read way more books this past year than I have in years past, and I suspect that's largely because of the Kindle.

2 hours ago, Nasa said:

I got one because I 1) wanted to strengthen my ability to focus on reading without distractions and 2) sought to cut down on my physical library. I've succeeded on both fronts. I've read way more books this past year than I have in years past, and I suspect that's largely because of the Kindle.

I'm curious about how a Kindle can help accomplish that.

I can't read digital books. I don't know why, but I just can't do it. I can read digital comics, I read stuff on the internet all day, but when it comes to books, I can't do it. Not just novels, it was hard at school when my textbooks were digital too (unless they had the search feature that let me just search for key words in the text and skip most of the reading lol). I don't know what it is about digital books, but they're not for me.

Downside is I'm getting ready to move and I have an absolutely insane amount of physical books I now need to move with me.

25 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I can't read digital books. I don't know why, but I just can't do it. I can read digital comics, I read stuff on the internet all day, but when it comes to books, I can't do it. Not just novels, it was hard at school when my textbooks were digital too (unless they had the search feature that let me just search for key words in the text and skip most of the reading lol). I don't know what it is about digital books, but they're not for me.

Downside is I'm getting ready to move and I have an absolutely insane amount of physical books I now need to move with me.

I still used floppy disks in high school ...

1 hour ago, Patient #48273 said:

I'm curious about how a Kindle can help accomplish that.

My Kindle serves a single purpose (reading), so there’s no opportunity for me to open another app or check my notifications or whatever like I could when I used to read through the app on my phone. As a result of removing that environment in which there were more distractions, I now read more for longer periods of time and more frequently. My focus used to be pretty bad when it came to e-reading, but it’s better now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nasa said:

My Kindle serves a single purpose (reading), so there’s no opportunity for me to open another app or check my notifications or whatever like I could when I used to read through the app on my phone. As a result of removing that environment in which there were more distractions, I now read more for longer periods of time and more frequently. My focus used to be pretty bad when it came to e-reading, but it’s better now. 

I like to use mine to learn how to speed read.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nasa said:

That makes sense. I was thinking Kindle vs. physical book and couldn't understand how the Kindle would be better in that respect.