Books

Pussay Patrol

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Caved and bought the Harry Potter collection. The ranga loves the movies. I don’t hat them. Figured might as well give the books a go.

The books aren’t like, amazing books, but they’re much better than the movies. Most of the films suck.

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Caved and bought the Harry Potter collection. The ranga loves the movies. I don’t hat them. Figured might as well give the books a go.

Read them all a few times … they’re easy reads and the story is good so it keeps you invested. Rowling does good to immerse you in the world while still making it all approachable and easy to follow. There’s a pretty big shift in tone after the 3 book.

• Like 1

The first one is the best one and was the spark for society’s weird obsession with YA dystopian stories in the mid-2010s, but the series kind of peters out by the end. Still worth reading!

15 minutes ago, Nasa said:

The first one is the best one and was the spark for society’s weird obsession with YA dystopian stories in the mid-2010s, but the series kind of peters out by the end. Still worth reading!

I’ve read them before …. Probably around 2013 or 2014 … very drunk when I did it so I don’t remember much!

• Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve finished Lovecraft Country tonight, the show is okay … not great but good enough to have on while I can’t sleep. It did, however, get me interested in Emmett Till and the Tulsa Race Massacres so I picked up a few books on them both. That’ll be my next few reads.

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

@Ghent I picked up Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (I think I got the name right), he is the guy who wrote No Country for Old Men. It’s supposed to be a good book, I’m gonna start it this weekend. Have you read it?

I have not but I’ve heard good things about. Let me know how it is!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

I have not but I’ve heard good things about. Let me know how it is!

It’s different. The writing is odd, short descriptive sentences … for instance:

“The mother dead these fourteen years did incubate in her own bosom the creature who would carry her off. The father never speaks her name, the child does not know it. He has a sister in this world that he will not see again. He watches, pale and unwashed. He can neither read nor write and in him broods already a taste for mindless violence. All history present in that visage, the child the father of the man.”

It’s bare bones writing and it takes a bit of getting used to but I kind of like it. I think you’ll enjoy it too, granted, I’m not very far into it. I’ll let you know more as I progress.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Speedo said:

@Ghent I picked up Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (I think I got the name right), he is the guy who wrote No Country for Old Men. It’s supposed to be a good book, I’m gonna start it this weekend. Have you read it?

Hell yeah, Blood Meridian. I love the combination of beautiful prose and unflinching brutality. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Speedo said:

I discovered a lot of the classics are on YouTube. I’m listening to Dracula now.

I can’t remember if I said it in this thread but I really enjoyed Dracula when I read it a couple months back! Even though it was slow-paced, it kept my attention. And it was a surprisingly wholesome story! All of the characters are basically the best and kindest people ever haha

11 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Got a kindle yesterday. Signed up for kindle unlimited. Anything decent on it?

It has a ton of decent shit on it, and a ton of trash. I believe all the “classics” are on it. It’s really sort of depending on what your tastes are, I found it worth the subscription.

54 minutes ago, Speedo said:

It has a ton of decent shit on it, and a ton of trash. I believe all the “classics” are on it. It’s really sort of depending on what your tastes are, I found it worth the subscription.

I don’t even know what my tastes are when it comes to books. I tried thinking of that last night when I was messing around with it and there’s not like a “genre” of book I like more than others.

Recommend me something. I grabbed Crime and Punishment since I’ve seen it flogged in here a few times. I’m still working through the potter series so won’t be jumping into anything new just yet but soon.

9 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I don’t even know what my tastes are when it comes to books. I tried thinking of that last night when I was messing around with it and there’s not like a “genre” of book I like more than others.

Recommend me something. I grabbed Crime and Punishment since I’ve seen it flogged in here a few times. I’m still working through the potter series so won’t be jumping into anything new just yet but soon.

The rule of thumb I go by is giving every new book a 100 pages. If it doesn’t grab me by then I don’t usually bother with the rest of it. Kindle Unlimited is pretty good for going about things like that.

21 minutes ago, Speedo said:

The rule of thumb I go by is giving every new book a 100 pages. If it doesn’t grab me by then I don’t usually bother with the rest of it. Kindle Unlimited is pretty good for going about things like that.

I meant like recommend me a to tile of a bike you’ve read and liked but that is good advice anyway haha.