Books

Pussay Patrol

8 minutes ago, Vote Ghent said:

I read the first two, but the show situation pretty much ruined it. And then knowing he will never finish it.. You read all those books, get super into it, and by the time you finish Martin will either die or enough time will pass that you forget everything you read.

I assume I’ll get book 6 but book 7 is never coming out and I’ll die without it concluding.

3 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I assume I’ll get book 6 but book 7 is never coming out and I’ll die without it concluding.

Dying of natural causes before finishing such a massive, decades-spanning project is an act of cowardice.

42 minutes ago, Speedo said:

It’s just a lot of shit from a ton of different point of views and every damn chapter ends on a cliff hanger.

I like the cliffhangers, but they can feel a little too reminiscent of when GRRM wrote for tv.

The POVs def shouldn't be as numerous as they are. I don't give a shit about any of the Greyjoys except for Theon, for example.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:04 AM, Speedo said:

I think best case scenario, he leaves a detailed breakdown of his plans to conclude the series and another writer takes over for the last book (basically what happened with the Wheel of Time series). Martin recently said that he’s currently 3/4 finished writing Winds of Winter, but who knows if that’s accurate and how long the last 1/4 will take to complete. I’m guessing we get it in like 3-5 years.

The books are great, though Feast for Crows is a bit of a snore. I still need to finish the last couple hundred pages of Dance of Dragons as I lost interest when the show surpassed it. 

If you guys think this is bad, it’s nothing compared to the KingKiller Chronicles where the author has cockteased the final book for years, set deadlines to read a chapter and missed them, along with some shady shit involving a charity fund. He’s a huge asshole compared to Martin. 

12 minutes ago, Vote Ghent said:

@King of the Weekendhave you seen the Wheel of Time series yet? I watched the first episode. Debating whether to delve into the books or just watch the show. Any opinion?

The books are supposed to be top tier high fantasy; my brother and some of my friends loved them. I only read the first book and a half. It was good but did not blow me away (I wouldn’t put it in the same tier as GoT, LOTR/Hobbit, Harry Potter, or KingKiller Chronicles). But people seem to love it a lot so maybe I’m just in the minority. It’s very similar to LOTR in the sense that they’re on an adventure, going from town to town, being chased by evil creatures. The show was pretty disappointing and everyone I know who read the books thought the same thing. They randomly made one character a lesbian despite the books not having any sex in them. It was weird. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Has anyone read Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl? I just ordered it tonight. 

I read it when I first got hit with that existential depression, was still depressed after.

So I shook the book, thinking it wasn’t working. I don’t remember too much about it, but his perseverance in the face of the worst situation imaginable is very inspiring.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, thongrider said:

One of my favorite books ever!

Now it's one of mine too!

Novels that set out to describe grand historical events (like The Big Depression in this case) sometimes struggle with scale: if they go too big, they lose the particular; too small, and they lose the big picture. Steinbeck makes you weep on both scales and makes you feel like you're right there with these people.

Tom Joad and Ma are amazing ❤

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 3:10 AM, Elisa said:

I read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath for the first time last week and I'm still not over it. One of the saddest books I've ever read. I loved it. 

That’s in my backlog. I’m reading East of Eden by Steinbeck now and really enjoying it so far. 

I finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas a month or so ago, what a trip.