Books

Pussay Patrol

Been reading a lot of dog training books because I'm getting a puppy next week. 

I've been a bit less interested in fiction lately and I think it's partly because the real world feels like a fictional story this year. I picked up the e-book for the Count of Monte Cristo for $1.50 the other day, it's a classic I never read and Reddit has been circle jerking it pretty hard lately. I'll probably start that or Brave New World, or Animal Farm - another couple of classics that I missed out on. 

So what is the consensus on Dune for those that read it, keep seeing it crop up here. Do I tackle that behemoth ?? I love Star Wars, so I'm sure it'll fit.

Also, I clicked onto this thread, thinking I was on the most recent page and laugh reacted at you reading the Bible @Speedo . I thought it was a recent post, now I feel all stalker-y and shit

28 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

So what is the consensus on Dune for those that read it, keep seeing it crop up here. Do I tackle that behemoth ?? I love Star Wars, so I'm sure it'll fit.

Also, I clicked onto this thread, thinking I was on the most recent page and laugh reacted at you reading the Bible @Speedo . I thought it was a recent post, now I feel all stalker-y and shit

You can fight with @Kay over me!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been barely reading in 2020, sucks to suck. I think part of it is because I don't read as much when I'm depressed, and part of it is just falling out of routine/habit. I hate it when this happens, because when I look back on my life - the best times and the times when I'm most balanced usually are when I'm reading regularly. 

11 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

I have been barely reading in 2020, sucks to suck. I think part of it is because I don't read as much when I'm depressed, and part of it is just falling out of routine/habit. I hate it when this happens, because when I look back on my life - the best times and the times when I'm most balanced usually are when I'm reading regularly. 

I go through the same thing occasionally, I just started forcing myself to do it. I usually get into the book quick enough to forget why I didn't wanna start.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I go through the same thing occasionally, I just started forcing myself to do it. I usually get into the book quick enough to forget why I didn't wanna start.

Yeah this is crucial. I try to do at least 5 minutes of reading before I go to bed, in the hopes of the 5 mins turning into 30-60 mins if I get drawn in, but I haven't even had the motivation to do that lately. 

1 minute ago, Tom Bot said:

Yeah this is crucial. I try to do at least 5 minutes of reading before I go to bed, in the hopes of the 5 mins turning into 30-60 mins if I get drawn in, but I haven't even had the motivation to do that lately. 

Have you tried reading something meant for a younger audience? Like Harry Potter or Goosebumps or whatever? I know it's silly but they're fast read and tend to not have a ton of downtime in the plot.

Just now, Speedo said:

Have you tried reading something meant for a younger audience? Like Harry Potter or Goosebumps or whatever? I know it's silly but they're fast read and tend to not have a ton of downtime in the plot.

Seems like good advice but my problem is that I have such a big backlog that I almost get anxiety on which book to choose. The same thing happens to me with video games and movies/television - I have so many options, yet due to the volume, it seems overwhelming and then none of them are appealing to me. Weird, I know. I did start The Three Body Problem which was full of mystery and intrigue, so I should probably just go back to that. 

Seems like good advice but my problem is that I have such a big backlog that I almost get anxiety on which book to choose. The same thing happens to me with video games and movies/television - I have so many options, yet due to the volume, it seems overwhelming and then none of them are appealing to me. Weird, I know. I did start The Three Body Problem which was full of mystery and intrigue, so I should probably just go back to that. 

DUDE this is so weird and causes so much depression and weird feelings for me.  I listen to sports talk radio/politics simply because I cannot choose what to listen to.  I have hundreds of cds, and Spotify just makes it worse.  I hardly listen to music anymore. 

Same thing with picking a movie or TV show, the sheer volume of choices overwhelms me and I end up just watching 3 hours of sportscenter or something because it seems like I don't have enough "time" to watch a movie.  I'm so happy someone else feels this lol.

• Like 2

Oh, trust me, I get it. I ended up cutting out video games and TV out almost entirely. Movies I only really watch with my wife and I'm about to have to stop youtube for a while. I literally have more than 10 books started and in various stages of completion right 'cause I'm a fickle spaz that can't stay on one thing. 3 physical books, 5 audio books and 4 kindle books. It's a mess.

• Like 1