Books

Pussay Patrol

I bought a course book, expecting a normal sized book. 

It's such a big fucking book. Like it's physically difficult to hold up. You could kill someone with this thing. I haven't done legit academic reading in like, 13 years. 

I'm a little intimidated. I'm used to novels. Been reading a lot of Adrian Tchaikovsky novels, they don't prepare me for fuckin' smart people books. 

10 hours ago, Elisa said:

Deets' death in Lonesome Dove has got to be the saddest fictional deaths I've ever come across 😢

I noticed the entire miniseries is on Youtube

• Like 1
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I noticed the entire miniseries is on Youtube

This is amazing. I was already planning on watching it! 

I don't have too many chapters left (11 or 12) but I can already say that Lonesome Dove is a book that sits in a unique place for me as a reader. I'm loving all the time and attention McMurtry can lavish on his characters without having things drag at all.
These characters live and breathe and are all so real with so much depth. You even end up respecting the shit out of the Texan bull, those two pigs and Hell Bitch the horse haha

I think it's probably America's version of The Odyssey and is beyond anything I could wish for ❤

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

My next reading project is going to be Shakespeare. I've spent the morning getting things prepared, with some help from friends. I'd like to get through his complete works by next year.

what are you starting with?

9 minutes ago, Nasa said:

what are you starting with?

I'm starting with the late Romances. I just picked up David Bevington's book with Pericles, Prince of Tyre; Cymbeline; The Winter's Tale; and The Tempest.

7 hours ago, Speedo said:

I'm starting with the late Romances. I just picked up David Bevington's book with Pericles, Prince of Tyre; Cymbeline; The Winter's Tale; and The Tempest.

Cool. Let me know if you want any recommendations for editions, some are def better than others. Or any film adaptations if you’re into that kind of stuff. 

My favorite tragedy is King Lear, and my favorite comedy is Much Ado About Nothing. I’ve only read one of his histories, though. 

5 minutes ago, Nasa said:

Cool. Let me know if you want any recommendations for editions, some are def better than others. Or any film adaptations if you’re into that kind of stuff. 

My favorite tragedy is King Lear, and my favorite comedy is Much Ado About Nothing. I’ve only read one of his histories, though. 

I'll take any recommendations you've got to give, like I said, so far I I've got Bevington's but nothing beyond that.

12 hours ago, Nasa said:

Much Ado is easily one of my favourites. Benedick and Beatrice's dialog is fuckin' fierce. I quite like the Emma Thompson adaptation for film versions, the Joss Whedon take was... weird. 

I also really like The Merchant of Venice.

My only 'oh christ, don't' warnings would be for Taming Of The Shrew (may as well be called "Gaslighting - The Play" and Titus Andronicus. Although Titus is kinda metal as fuck so it may appeal to @Speedo it's hardcore lol 

3 hours ago, Kay said:

Much Ado is easily one of my favourites. Benedick and Beatrice's dialog is fuckin' fierce. I quite like the Emma Thompson adaptation for film versions, the Joss Whedon take was... weird. 

I also really like The Merchant of Venice.

My only 'oh christ, don't' warnings would be for Taming Of The Shrew (may as well be called "Gaslighting - The Play" and Titus Andronicus. Although Titus is kinda metal as fuck so it may appeal to @Speedo it's hardcore lol 

i haven't read Taming of the Shrew or Titus Andronicus - what are they like?

40 minutes ago, Nasa said:

i haven't read Taming of the Shrew or Titus Andronicus - what are they like?

Taming is a comedy but read nowadays its just vile. Titus is very violent and morbid. My missus loves it for both those reasons. She did her dissertation on it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shit Poster said:

I couldn’t stand reading Shakespeare, but I only read the plays in high school which were Othello, Macbeth, Merchant of Venice, and Hamlet. Merchant of Venice was alright. Maybe I was too dumb to appreciate them, but that old timey English is a slog to read.

At least in the US, the way Shakespeare is introduced to students could be improved IMO. Watching the plays performed is way different from reading them, and I think if my teachers had shown us films or performances as supplemental content, that would’ve helped a lot. The way they’re taught could be changed too, to engage students more, since they’re challenging. We read Macbeth entirely in class—it was never assigned as homework—and that small change gave our teacher more opportunities to engage us (since all of us had to be present).

I also think when it comes to the classics, high schoolers are usually just too young to appreciate and enjoy them. I know that sounds pretentious, but I’ve found that even a few years out my enjoyment of some books I read in high school has increased substantially. Not being forced to read them is defo one factor, but I think maturity and life experience can and do affect our reception toward some books. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nasa said:

At least in the US, the way Shakespeare is introduced to students could be improved IMO. Watching the plays performed is way different from reading them, and I think if my teachers had shown us films or performances as supplemental content, that would’ve helped a lot. The way they’re taught could be changed too, to engage students more, since they’re challenging. We read Macbeth entirely in class—it was never assigned as homework—and that small change gave our teacher more opportunities to engage us (since all of us had to be present).

I also think when it comes to the classics, high schoolers are usually just too young to appreciate and enjoy them. I know that sounds pretentious, but I’ve found that even a few years out my enjoyment of some books I read in high school has increased substantially. Not being forced to read them is defo one factor, but I think maturity and life experience can and do affect our reception toward some books. 

Yeah definitely. Its not taught well and its very hard to understand or care about at that age level. They also insist on teaching romeo and Juliet which is a fucking snore compared to most of his work.