Books

Pussay Patrol

• 1 month later...

I’m reading a book that isn’t Star Wars for once… Dracula! I’m enjoying it quite a bit too, though ADHD is kicking my ass so I’m reading at a snail’s pace in short chunks at a time. Still, I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the book considering I knew beforehand that it was all a compilation of fictional journal entries and newspaper articles. Didn’t know if I’d enjoy a story being told in that format. But it’s telling the story well and I do like it! I hoped to finish it before Halloween, but my brain did not allow it. Still, it’s fun.

• Like 1

Should I read Harry Potter? I've never seen the movies or read any of the books. I have no idea what the story line is or who the characters are (besides HP), so I'm unspoiled.

It seems so lame, but I feel like I should probably get with the times at this point. I remember being annoyed with it right off the bat when all the little Karens in my grade school class were reading it. Still a thing 25 years later so does that mean I should check it out?

25 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Should I read Harry Potter? I've never seen the movies or read any of the books. I have no idea what the story line is or who the characters are (besides HP), so I'm unspoiled.

It seems so lame, but I feel like I should probably get with the times at this point. I remember being annoyed with it right off the bat when all the little Karens in my grade school class were reading it. Still a thing 25 years later so does that mean I should check it out?

Eeehhh

The books are better than the films but they’re not exactly amazing. JK Rowling isn’t that good an author, without the magic of reading them as a kid I’m doubtful they’d hold up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ghent said:

If you like non-morally-complex fantasy, yes. The main series is a well-written story (good pacing, good ending, etc.) that’s organized coherently. 

JK Rowling did not write them (at least the first book iirc) with any particular age group in mind, so I think they have the potential to be enjoyable to people of all ages. My friends’ parents read them alongside us when I was in grade school and loved them. I can see why someone wouldn’t enjoy them if their first time reading them is as an adult, though - if they struggle suspending disbelief in certain elements of the story / plot or if they don’t want to read teenage characters. 

i would say it’s one of those cultural phenomenons where popular/“normie” /=/ bad, like Star Wars or GoT.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Maddey said:

Did you read the whole thing in just a couple of days??

Haha I did! In my defense though, I got through it so quickly only because December 8th was a national holiday here so I spent the entire day reading. 

• Wow 2

On 12/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, Elisa said:

I loved Crime and Punishment and I can't get it out of my head.

The Brothers Karamazov is next. Gonna read that one in English because the Italian cover is hideous so I picked up the Penguin Classics edition on Amazon. 

Ah, good to know I’m not the only one who’s picky about covers. If there’s a book I want I will look up all the versions online and specifically seek out one that isn’t ugly lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maddey said:

Anyone wanna share their best reading experiences from this year (or generally)? I’ve picked up three pretty shitty books in a row now and could do with some tips

I read What Dreams May Come earlier this year, enjoyed it quite a bit. I’m tact, choose any book by Richard Matheson and it’s probably going to be a winner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 9:29 PM, Maddey said:

Anyone wanna share their best reading experiences from this year (or generally)? I’ve picked up three pretty shitty books in a row now and could do with some tips

I'd recommend "Three Floors Up" by Eshkol Nevo

• Like 1