Books

Pussay Patrol

14 hours ago, Worst poster here said:

That’s in my backlog. I’m reading East of Eden by Steinbeck now and really enjoying it so far. 

I've read 4 or 5 Steinbeck novels, but I've never but I've never read East of Eden nor watched the movie. I need to, and I think I would really enjoy that as well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've mostly read Norwegian books lately. 

I decided to take a break from reading to see how much time I spend on it, but now I feel super bored most of the time. So I must've spent a lot of time reading books. 

This year I'm reading a few classics I never got the chance to read before. I actually ended up reading East of Eden because you mentioned it, it's not the greatest book I've ever read, but I loved it and it's earned its status as a great American novel. 

I also read Les Miserables (Victor Hugo), The Buddenbrooks (Thoman Mann and Resurrection (Tolstoy). All long books but pretty great.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, thirtythought said:

I want to read something interesting, historical fiction or nonfiction that’s good is always a plus. I’m a big historian and I love reading literature relative to it. I have a couple Swedish books but I’m too lazy 

This may be too much, but the last and best historical book I read was The Romanovs: The Story of Russia and Its Empire (1613-1918) by Simon Sebag Montefiore. Mind you it's like 1100 pages, but it was a fantastic journey and I love it because it reads more like a novel than a historical account of one of the most notorious and cruel dynasties in the world. And it's also fun because some of these czars were so crazy that they could be mistaken for fictional characters 😂 They really don't teach us Russian history in school and it's a shame, there is so much we can learn from the history of this dynasty, but I understand if this seems a little too much haha. 

If you want something more lighter and heartwarming, but still great and based on WW2, my favourite historical fiction book of the past 10 years is All The Lights That We Cannot See. 

I just finished Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. Have seen it on lists everywhere for a while and finally got the time to give it a go. Very much enjoyed the first 2/3 of it, but the last part didn’t hold up imo. Overall pretty good. It’s a historical fiction about a korean family in Japan in the early 1900s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wrapping up East of Eden and Wealthing Like Rabbits (financial book). 

I’m going to finish the Fall of Hyperion next, and then check out Sekret Machines for shits and giggles (got it for $5 at a used book store, I expect it to be young adultish so expectations are low). Then I’ll finish reading the Three Body Problem series, the Netflix adaptation looks pretty sick.

11 hours ago, allsystemsgo said:

I bought Kindle months ago to read more like I used to, but still haven't done much with it. Why's this so difficult? 

Building consistency is the hardest part. You need to set aside 20-30 mins a day to start and try to do it every day, eventually you’ll get into the swing of it. 

• Like 1

I hemmed and hawed for the past few months about what to read next since finishing the Game of Thrones series. I picked up and started several books and put them back down again without getting much further than 100 or so pages in. I finally decided to reread The Dark Tower series tonight. This’ll be my fourth read through.