Dexter Season 8

Broken English

Starts in less than a month, I'm stoked.

Any thoughts on the endgame for the show? I'm of the mind he'll get caught, because it makes sense given the way the show has shown him gradually losing control over time.

I think that given the controversial subject matter, it will end with the inevitable demise of Dexter, firstly from a moral standpoint, but also because the process of getting caught is a big part of the serial killer life cycle, especially on a cop show.

The only question for me is will he drag Debra down now that she knows all and has been complicit, especially now she's Lieutenant.

Discuss.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think him getting caught would be the most logical ending and would also be the best for me, like you say he has gradually been loosing control over time.

I do think he might get away with it though, Dexter is a real cash cow with a massive fan base and Showtime could potentially look to squeeze a movie out of it in a couple of years I reckon.

I think it'll get to the point where she'll shoot at him or actually hit him but not kill him, and he'll take that as clarification that they're no longer siblings and that she needs to be taken out. But then again, throughout the show they've never made it 100% clear whether family or survival comes first for Dex, he always seems to bounce between the 2

• 2 weeks later...

That said, I've read 3 recaps online already. I love knowing what's coming in terms of major events, then relaxing and enjoying the flow of how the writers and actors get there, rather than having my mind racing with questions about what's happening next and trying to piece it all together while still focusing on the show.

I'm the only one I've ever known who does this, maybe I'm a weirdo.

Season 6 was the only really pointless season for me, last season explored Dex and Deb in a really new way, and had one of the best guest stars in the show's run in Ray Stevenson, so even the less eventful episodes held my interest.

First episode was great, I can't wait to see where the Dr Vogels character goes, and whether she will be the end of Dex, or help him reinvent himself.

Of course, I hate the Dexter/Deb storyline, but it wasn't too bad this episode. I think the Dr. Vogel subplot has potential, as does the new serial killer, but I'm not holding my breath, given the recent demonstrations of the writers' incompetence.

Out of curiosity, how does everyone rank the seasons so far?

I'd probably go with... 1,4,3,2,5.....................................................................................6 & 7. (best to worst, with 6 and 7 barely deserving to be on the same list).

I didn't like season six because I think the "religious serial killer who thinks s/he's doing God's work" trope is overused. It can be good, but I thought it came across as cheesy. I also was able to tell very early on (2nd or 3rd episode, I think) that the professor was actually dead all along, so when they finally revealed it, it was more funny than anything. I actually enjoyed Debra's therapy sessions... until they started talking about Deb being in love with Dexter.

Overall, the quality of writing just doesn't seem to be as good since season four.

4,2,1,7,5,6,3. Couldn't stand Miguel.

As for where I think this season will go after seeing the first episode, I think its clear that Vogel may have been a shrink for a young Dexter or something, that Harry neglected to tell him about so he eventually forgot. Not entirely sure, but clearly part of Dexters past that Harry deliberately didn't talk about. 

Also I never really though about it until I saw the Previously at the start of this one that Dexter was completely willing to let Deb kill him, it wasn't just "I know she won't but it's best to act like she's in control". The look on his face is a clear "She could kill me right now"