What TV show are you watching?

Melty Mark

10 hours ago, 2point5 said:

Any Brits watching 'White Gold'? Written by one of the writers of Inbetweeners and stars James Buckley and Joe Thomas. Watched 5 episodes last night on demand and loving it.

Seen 1 episode. Was good. Its hard though watching the inbetweener lads in different programes. They'll always be Simon and Jay to me

8 hours ago, Scott. said:

Seen 1 episode. Was good. Its hard though watching the inbetweener lads in different programes. They'll always be Simon and Jay to me

Same but for Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl. Granted, doesn't seem too much different, but it's weird.

20 hours ago, 2point5 said:

Any Brits watching 'White Gold'? Written by one of the writers of Inbetweeners and stars James Buckley and Joe Thomas. Watched 5 episodes last night on demand and loving it.

Yep been loving it.

A lot of it was filmed round the town I lived in up until a week ago so recognising a lot of the scene locations which makes it extra cool. Opening scene was filmed down my best mates road, can actually see his house during the scene. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Yep been loving it.

A lot of it was filmed round the town I lived in up until a week ago so recognising a lot of the scene locations which makes it extra cool. Opening scene was filmed down my best mates road, can actually see his house during the scene. 

That was the moment he needed to go get the mail in a bathrobe with enormous fuzzy slippers.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, Patient #48273 said:

I think some people love it and others hate it. Casey might end up being one of the former, but since it's so polarizing, it's probably a risky starting point.

Nah, start with the show's first run, then FWWM, which is amazing. @Clarkerpes

I never understood why people didn't like FWWM, it's become more liked over time but I thought it was spectacular.

10 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I never understood why people didn't like FWWM, it's become more liked over time but I thought it was spectacular.

Well considering that he was about to just watch the new shit without trying the old, I figured FWWM was going to be the best crash course. I loved it too, plus, no Donna!

2 minutes ago, ungroovy said:

Well considering that he was about to just watch the new shit without trying the old, I figured FWWM was going to be the best crash course. I loved it too, plus, no Donna!

better yet, FAKE DONNA.

I just can't see the blacklodge/cooper/annie/agentjeffries/etc stuff making any kind of sense without some knowledge of the OG run, which is a big part of the movie. The only problem I have with FWWM is that it's lack of any insight into the ending of TP, which is now being explored in the Showtime series, so no worries about that. However, the missing pieces in the box set actually do explain a few things and makes the movie almost if not three hours long.  

12 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

FWWM lacks the quirkiness of the show (I mean, it's weird, but it's not quirky) and it unnecessarily changes details that were laid out in the series.

Spoiler

For instance, they completely changed Leland's personality in the movie. In my opinion, it made more sense that he was domineering and abusive, but that's not how he was in the show. And even if he was possessed by Bob, the things he was saying/doing weren't the kinds of things Bob would have said/done.

It also pissed me off that they made it look like Laura Palmer basically enjoyed being raped by Bob/her father. Like, she was looking forward to it and only had a problem when she saw that it was her dad. She said Bob had been molesting her since she was 12 or something, yet she enjoys this? Child sexual abuse is a real thing and it sucks to see it represented in such a way.

25 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

FWWM lacks the quirkiness of the show (I mean, it's weird, but it's not quirky) and it unnecessarily changes details that were laid out in the series.

Reveal hidden contents

For instance, they completely changed Leland's personality in the movie. In my opinion, it made more sense that he was domineering and abusive, but that's not how he was in the show. And even if he was possessed by Bob, the things he was saying/doing weren't the kinds of things Bob would have said/done.

It also pissed me off that they made it look like Laura Palmer basically enjoyed being raped by Bob/her father. Like, she was looking forward to it and only had a problem when she saw that it was her dad. She said Bob had been molesting her since she was 12 or something, yet she enjoys this? Child sexual abuse is a real thing and it sucks to see it represented in such a way.

Spoiler

Did you by chance watch the entire 3 hour version? There's some comedy to be found in that, but yeah, the movie is not like the show in that regard. I mean, there is some, the opposite, evil version of twin peaks stuff is great (watching Chris Isaak bare knuckle box is a highlight). The woman doing random "weird" shit that they try to decipher is good (Lynch poking fun at himself?). The bus scene sticks out too. Plus fucking Harry Dean Stanton! It's not a comedy at all, but given the context of the film, it does have something to offer imo.

The tone is a hard sell in any case because it's about the downward spiral and descent into hell of a town's prom queen and her eventual brutal death. Laura's life just wasn't funny. So without ruining the tone, I can understand reeling that back. The lack of Cooper is supposedly because KM didn't want to do a whole movie, but agreed to do small stuff. Which isn't important I guess, the missing agents are kind of important to how the Black Lodge works, but the story is about Laura.

Well we only know Leland in TP after Laura's immediate death, so that could account for his change in personality (which is more wacky, mental breakdown-esque), and also BOB had been temporarily satisfied. He acts totally erratic during FWWM, and I think Ray Wise is phenomenal in this movie. It's implied (I forget where exactly) that Leland is actually a pretty good person, but he himself was abused as a child by somebody named BOB (confusing yeah?) and that's what beyond the paranormal is the reason why he continues to abuse people. Also the town of Twin Peaks is inhabited by ghosts and spirits of angry natives who are part of the woods, which are gateways to other dimensions......so yeah. Leland doesn't even know he's doing these things to Laura, so he never is fully under Bob's control. It's why he doesn't' kill Maddie until season 2.

Also, it's not unheard of people to be in denial about being raped abused by family members. Laura basically was on a path of destruction before "knowing" it was her father. From the random sex, drugs, what not. She clearly wasn't happy. Her coping with this is the crux of the movie.

5 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

In the show you don't really see him by himself with Laura/family. The movie was a new setting and context for Leland, and seeing how he was in his final scenes in the show, for instance, it makes sense. Bob was taunting her for years, he seemed a bit obsessed and he lived in Leland to live Leland's life and be close to Laura. The entire premise of the show isn't very "Bob-like" if we're being picky. What do you see in his behavior that specifically wasn't?

Also, people reclaim their own abuse cycles. Maintaining her innocence, continuing to be horrified, fighting him, it sinks her further into his clutches. She developed sexual debauchery as almost a skill and weapon against him, because Bob has clearly been after her innocence and youth. She also wears the ring, which is kind of a reclaiming of herself and a fight against Bob taking her over like he took Leland. She dies instead. 

I think it did a great job.

24 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:
  Hide contents

Did you by chance watch the entire 3 hour version? There's some comedy to be found in that, but yeah, the movie is not like the show in that regard. I mean, there is some, the opposite, evil version of twin peaks stuff is great (watching Chris Isaak bare knuckle box is a highlight). The woman doing random "weird" shit that they try to decipher is good (Lynch poking fun at himself?). The bus scene sticks out too. Plus fucking Harry Dean Stanton! It's not a comedy at all, but given the context of the film, it does have something to offer imo.

The tone is a hard sell in any case because it's about the downward spiral and descent into hell of a town's prom queen and her eventual brutal death. Laura's life just wasn't funny. So without ruining the tone, I can understand reeling that back. The lack of Cooper is supposedly because KM didn't want to do a whole movie, but agreed to do small stuff. Which isn't important I guess, the missing agents are kind of important to how the Black Lodge works, but the story is about Laura.

Well we only know Leland in TP after Laura's immediate death, so that could account for his change in personality (which is more wacky, mental breakdown-esque), and also BOB had been temporarily satisfied. He acts totally erratic during FWWM, and I think Ray Wise is phenomenal in this movie. It's implied (I forget where exactly) that Leland is actually a pretty good person, but he himself was abused as a child by somebody named BOB (confusing yeah?) and that's what beyond the paranormal is the reason why he continues to abuse people. Also the town of Twin Peaks is inhabited by ghosts and spirits of angry natives who are part of the woods, which are gateways to other dimensions......so yeah. Leland doesn't even know he's doing these things to Laura, so he never is fully under Bob's control. It's why he doesn't' kill Maddie until season 2.

Also, it's not unheard of people to be in denial about being raped abused by family members. Laura basically was on a path of destruction before "knowing" it was her father. From the random sex, drugs, what not. She clearly wasn't happy. Her coping with this is the crux of the movie.

Spoiler

I mean, I'm generally not on board with the whole "cycle of abuse" theory. I would also personally prefer if Leland was actually a bad person who did bad things rather than being possessed by a demonic entity and essentially being absolved of responsibility. I think that would have been a more interesting and more important story, but I know that's not the story they were trying to tell, so I'm okay with that, it just what I would have liked to see.

And I get that her coping (or lack thereof) was a main point of the movie and I think it's more interesting in theory than it was in the actual execution. It just wasn't done well, imo.

16 minutes ago, ungroovy said:
  Hide contents

In the show you don't really see him by himself with Laura/family. The movie was a new setting and context for Leland, and seeing how he was in his final scenes in the show, for instance, it makes sense. Bob was taunting her for years, he seemed a bit obsessed and he lived in Leland to live Leland's life and be close to Laura. The entire premise of the show isn't very "Bob-like" if we're being picky. What do you see in his behavior that specifically wasn't?

Also, people reclaim their own abuse cycles. Maintaining her innocence, continuing to be horrified, fighting him, it sinks her further into his clutches. She developed sexual debauchery as almost a skill and weapon against him, because Bob has clearly been after her innocence and youth. She also wears the ring, which is kind of a reclaiming of herself and a fight against Bob taking her over like he took Leland. She dies instead. 

I think it did a great job.

Spoiler

I don't remember too much about what I thought wasn't very "Bob" about Leland's behaviour, I just didn't think it was consistent.

And I get why Laura started fucking random guys and acting out in other ways. That made sense (within the series and the movie), but I don't think she should have "enjoyed" being raped by Bob. I'm not saying she should have fought him or cried or whatever, but it bothered me that she seemed to be looking forward to it.

And I get that it was supposed to be a horror movie, so if the difference in tone was my only issue, I wouldn't really have an issue. I was more saying that that was something I quite like about the show.

ETA: no, I didn't watch the three hour version. I could hardly take the normal one lol.

Just now, Patient #48273 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I mean, I'm generally not on board with the whole "cycle of abuse" theory. I would also personally prefer if Leland was actually a bad person who did bad things rather than being possessed by a demonic entity and essentially being absolved of responsibility. I think that would have been a more interesting and more important story, but I know that's not the story they were trying to tell, so I'm okay with that, it just what I would have liked to see.

And I get that her coping (or lack thereof) was a main point of the movie and I think it's more interesting in theory than it was in the actual execution. It just wasn't done well, imo.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't remember too much about what I thought wasn't very "Bob" about Leland's behaviour, I just didn't think it was consistent.

And I get why Laura started fucking random guys and acting out in other ways. That made sense (within the series and the movie), but I don't think she should have "enjoyed" being raped by Bob. I'm not saying she should have fought him or cried or whatever, but it bothered me that she seemed to be looking forward to it.

And I get that it was supposed to be a horror movie, so if the difference in tone was my only issue, I wouldn't really have an issue. I was more saying that that was something I quite like about the show.

Spoiler

I saw it as a continuation of her weaponizing her sexuality. Everything starts to reach a boiling point when he doesn't get the same satisfaction from her as he did from her innocence and fear. That wasn't there anymore, and he was about to attempt to overtake her like he did Leland instead. I think maybe she thought she could escape him by making it so that he didn't want her anymore, but then he just changed the way he wanted her and she accepted death.