What TV show are you watching?

Melty Mark

I’m excited to see it but tempering my expectations. There were some issues raised during filming that made the development seem problematic, such as actors complaining about being stuck filming for absurd amounts of time IIRC.

I’ve also noticed a lot of studios lately have been buying rights to popular franchises just to pump out content without a real meaningful storyline in place. The recent Resident Evil and first season of the Witcher come to mind. 

That said, it would be incredibly hard to fuck this up when you have amazing source material and an absurdly huge budget. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

@Get divorced for Tom peen The Witcher is fucking good though, and I have never played any of the games/read the books so any messing of the lore meant nothing to me.  Geralt carried it.

I liked season 2 but season 1 was pretty meh and a bit of a mess. Confusing time shifts. Weird colour filters and bright lighting in dark rooms. I struggled with being immersed in it.

7 hours ago, Crab Immunity_182 said:

It looks so bad in the trailers, I'm afraid to watch.  

I feel like Aragorn/Viggo Mortensen and the chemistry with Gimli/Legolas carried so much of the trilogy for me, I'm not sure I'd like it as much without it.

It’s got a very different tone than the trailers so far. I wouldn’t base your opinion just on those tbh,

But honestly feels like you’re too in love with the Jackson LotR to enjoy this and I don’t mean that as a bad thing, it’s the most popular LotR media out there and where most of our generation starts. This show takes a bit from those movies but still definitely feels like it’s own thing.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

It’s got a very different tone than the trailers so far. I wouldn’t base your opinion just on those tbh,

But honestly feels like you’re too in love with the Jackson LotR to enjoy this and I don’t mean that as a bad thing, it’s the most popular LotR media out there and where most of our generation starts. This show takes a bit from those movies but still definitely feels like it’s own thing.

That's the consensus I've gotten from watching the trailers in such.  If it's different than that, then I'll definitely be giving it a chance, but feels like I'm going to not like it or want to like it.  It just took as little as something as CGI for me to write off the hobbit sequels.  Jackson LOTR is just too precious to me.

I still like the LOTR aesthetic, middle earth and such, but Jackson absolutely annihilated that, it was a perfect mesh of a beautiful fantasy with Jackson's chalky slasher movie background for the Orcs and such and to keep the violence cool, and then just amazing chemistry between all the actors.

I'll obviously give it a shot before I keep bitching, I just think it's hard not to compare unless they do something like Better Call Saul did to Breaking Bad where it's a completely different direction but same universe.  

7 hours ago, Ghent said:

Only way you'd be openly offended by it is if you go in wanting to hate it for having black people and a female lead. Otherwise I can't see how you could say much different than what my post said about it.

They're slowly setting a stage and it will take awhile for things to click because it is so big. I don't know who I like or dislike or who will have chemistry because I don't even know anyone's name yet besides Galadriel and Elrond.

Could still end up sucking, but way too soon to judge

I definitely don't are about that, you all know my favorite movie on here (Kill Bill vol. 2 baby) which is an entirely female lead heavy movie and diverse, it's when it's felt like intentionally done for the sake of it that can detract from it.  Not saying it is here.  But Ghosterbusters, Force Awakens..yeah, say what you will because it's a 'red pill' thing you see on the internet, I think that it can be distracting to say "hey look over here, we are SO diverse that we have a BLACK person in here as the lead and FEMALE when you thought WHITE MALE".  Do you see the irony/hypocrisy in it?  My favorite movies are Kill Bill, Jackie Brown, Matrix, Inglorious Basterds, LOTR, Django, Wedding Crashers, so I don't to hear any Ghentisms here.

3 hours ago, Crab Immunity_182 said:

I definitely don't are about that, you all know my favorite movie on here (Kill Bill vol. 2 baby) which is an entirely female lead heavy movie and diverse, it's when it's felt like intentionally done for the sake of it that can detract from it.  Not saying it is here.  But Ghosterbusters, Force Awakens..yeah, say what you will because it's a 'red pill' thing you see on the internet, I think that it can be distracting to say "hey look over here, we are SO diverse that we have a BLACK person in here as the lead and FEMALE when you thought WHITE MALE".  Do you see the irony/hypocrisy in it?  My favorite movies are Kill Bill, Jackie Brown, Matrix, Inglorious Basterds, LOTR, Django, Wedding Crashers, so I don't to hear any Ghentisms here.

I get you. It’s the same as when corporations change their logo to rainbow for pride month. They’re just virtue signalling to boost their image for their own gains, not because they actually care about these progressive ideas. It’s all out of self interest and is forced by the prevailing progressive ideology

12 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

The trailers give you a general aesthetic I guess, but there is going to be way too much content just in this first season for any trailer to tackle. We're talking like 8 hours of material.

11 hours ago, Crab Immunity_182 said:

Lol, so you type this all up, but casually include the tidbit that you were triggered by The Force Awakens casting a lead female and black guy. Pathetic dude.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Lol, so you type this all up, but casually include the tidbit that you were triggered by The Force Awakens casting a lead female and black guy. Pathetic dude.

It definitely didn't trigger me.  Sorry it was a trash movie and the virtue signaling only stands out when that's the case.  If it was a great movie, wouldn't be a thought that, Disney, might be using this franchise to push an agenda.  Are they good political opinions? Yeah, maybe.  But know where to insert that into the canvas being used.  

11 hours ago, Get divorced for Tom peen said:

I get you. It’s the same as when corporations change their logo to rainbow for pride month. They’re just virtue signalling to boost their image for their own gains, not because they actually care about these progressive ideas. It’s all out of self interest and is forced by the prevailing progressive ideology

Politics ruin everything.  Whether it's a family dinner, sports, or a movie or music getting flooded with it.  I understand that side of the argument, why shouldn't it be involved here?  "shut up and dribble" crowd right?  I just don't want to think about politics when I'm watching a sport, movie, listening to music (unless it's blatantly about either of these as a political forced movie or band).  That's my take, I understand everyone's different here. They are escapes for me, so selfishly, that's what I want.  Politics are the opposite of an escape.

Also have a black male lead and female main character should be a norm at this point, not a progressive idea.  That is my point you guys are missing because #ghent.

It should just be normal to have that, not a point being made.

Umm yeah, if you by definition consider a female and black lead "virtue signaling" then you might be the problem here Janet. Whether or not the movie is trash is irrelevant. There is literally ZERO "progressive ideas" pushed in TFA that I'm aware of.

Weird stuff.

"I hate politics, it ruins everything. But here is my politically driven edgy take on a film. Don't get mad about it or you're a snowflake"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I was gonna say, I haven't seen Rings of Power but as far as Star Wars goes, you could actually argue they NEUTERED the black lead (Finn) when he was such an intriguing character.  I wanted more of him and his storm trooper background.

Also Rose was treated like shit and her character went nowhere. Shit, these guys should love the new SW. They basically used two racial tokens. Impressive by modern standards

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Crab Immunity_182 said:

Having a black main character and female lead shouldn't be a progressive idea.  Disney making it a progressive idea is the problem with it.  That is my beef.

How do you decide when Disney or whoever is "making it a progressive idea" vs. the decision just being a creative one?

• Like 1

You guys are just intentionally playing naive to prove some type of point or paint me in a wrong picture.  I don't give a fuck, I'm right in the middle as they come and more left leaning than right (#YangGang).  When you have a laundry list of large franchises owned by Disney now, and every picture has the same setup, it can come across that way as virtue signaling by everyone involved with Disney/directors/producers/etc.  NOT tactfully pushing progressiveness (see Kill Bill, Get Out, Jackie Brown) or just blatantly doing it like Django Unchained.  It's perfect to be seeing.  

My whole point is that is should be completely normalized. 

Acting like it's progressive is actually backwards to me, and I think we should be way past that.  Black, white, male/female should all be considered the same thing and an after thought we even have different skin tones.  Should be like different colored hair at this point.

But I get I'm in the minority here and you either need to be a complete blowhard virtue signaler or a complete redneck racist out of the 40's to exist in this current society.

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

How do you decide when Disney or whoever is "making it a progressive idea" vs. the decision just being a creative one?

Track record of Disney maybe? 

I'M ON YOUR SIDE guys, I'm saying Disney is USING these 'diverse' characters for their own b.s.  

Why do they shrink John Boyega on the chinese posters of Force Awakens?  Ignore James Earl Jone's 90th birthday?  

They're full of shit is what I'm saying. 

11 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I was gonna say, I haven't seen Rings of Power but as far as Star Wars goes, you could actually argue they NEUTERED the black lead (Finn) when he was such an intriguing character.  I wanted more of him and his storm trooper background.

Exactly.  Disney is full of shit.  To the core.

Just using black people/females for brownie points. Then disposing of them when it's not benefiting them anymore.  Like a modern day racist.

Not giving a shit about female or black leads is not virtue signaling dude. I simply don't give a shit. I barely notice. I react to people like YOU who throw tantrums about it being "woke" and shit. You are inserting the politics into culture, not me.

• Like 1