What TV show are you watching?

Melty Mark

46 minutes ago, Nasa said:

There's a fair argument to be made that it's pretty gratuitous at times. (The fanboy response has always been "but that's how medieval times were".) There's an upcoming scene with one of the female characters that wasn't in the books and made a lot of people angry.

That is definitely how the medieval times were, which is why I can look past it/enjoy the fucked upness of it, and they normally do it good, but you can always tell when they are wanting to do shock value or take it next level for the audience reaction.  I've never liked that, or find it edgelordy.  But, it hasn't ruined the show or anything. Almost not a single scene is wasted.

I really hope some of these people die though.  Basically everybody but Tyrion, his body guard, most the Starks, Hound & Jaime can be the 'bad dudes turned likeable' I guess.

Ygrittes a gem also. 

@Nasa was this in season 3? I'm almost done with it, so wonder if I saw it already.  The whole 'whores' having to pleasure each other with the medieval devices was definitely my limit.  If it has to do with Aryan I'll die.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, not the worst here said:

That is definitely how the medieval times were, which is why I can look past it/enjoy the fucked upness of it, and they normally do it good, but you can always tell when they are wanting to do shock value or take it next level for the audience reaction.  I've never liked that, or find it edgelordy.  But, it hasn't ruined the show or anything. Almost not a single scene is wasted.

Yeah same. That’s why I think “it’s how the medieval times were” only applies to a certain level/amount of depictions of violence. Some people say there shouldn’t be any violence depicted, but I don’t agree with that take because I do think it fleshes out the world. GRRM generally writes women pretty well (I think Catelyn and Sansa are his best-written female characters) but there are times when it gets iffy (Dany and Drogo).

11 minutes ago, not the worst here said:

@Nasa was this in season 3? I'm almost done with it, so wonder if I saw it already.  The whole 'whores' having to pleasure each other with the medieval devices was definitely my limit.  If it has to do with Aryan I'll die.

Season 5. 

• Like 1

Nothing more satisfying than 

Spoiler

watching Joffrey bleed out of his eyes to death from poison. I rewinded it 3 times just to watch it again, so glad to have that happen right away in Season 4 on top of it was a great way to surprise you.  However, I hate Cersei with a passion, to have her take advantage and get Tyrion blamed is so classic yet also what makes the show so good - really lives up to the 'Game' analogy they use, why you must play the game at all times, doesn't matter how 'noble' you are in real life either (see: the Starks).  I still have faith in Tyrion though.

Spoiler

Also, what's with Jamie raping Cersei?

I read that wasn't in the books which makes it kind of weird and still the only thing that holds this show back for me at times from being as good as the 'tippy top' of my rankings.   That was my problem with The Boys.  Obviously, this show is leagues better than that, and most ever, but I hate whenever it feels like the directors/writers have to add a little extra edge than is necessary just for the sake of it/shock value.  

Also,

Spoiler

Theon getting tortured is fucking with me.  I will give them credit for dialing that back some, some, in the show vs book, but again chopping the penis off wasn't in the book, only suggested was possible, and another 'shock' factor thing.  Ugh.  

Season 1-4 so far are amazing though, although I've heard it dies off after that, outside of season 6, and I can see it.

Spoiler

Everyone keeps dying.  There's only so many characters left..and I couldn't give a rats ass about Daenerys or Bran.  I truly hate the Daenerys plot.  Or Stannis and his magic lady either really.. so all I'm really looking forward to now is Tyrion & the Lannister family collapse, and whatever happens with Arya, Snow, and Theon.  I guess however Ramsey and Cersei are killed will be nice. I can't see how this show can go past season 4 with all that has happened tbh.  There's no "good" guys left lol.  The whole Stark family is obliterated minus the annoying one.

As of right now, I'm putting it right behind Lost by a small margin.  I'll wait till I'm done with at least the whole show, because Lost did also go off the rockers with the 

Spoiler

travel back to the island, etc etc

but can't see it passing Breaking Bad ever.  If you forget about Breaking Bad just try not to get nostalgic as hell watching this.

Miss them

Has everyone ever noticed Vince Gilligan always talks about how they had to end it at the right time and how he thinks they made the right move ending it 'early'.  Probably not, I'm probably the most nerdy one on here about this stuff. 

Considering it was pretty perfect start to finish, I would agree, but the amount of times he brings that up, makes me wonder if he is unsure himself or can't stop wondering if they would have kept going.  I don't know how they would make it longer, but it still feels like he's such a headcase about that decision to end the show 'with wanting more' instead of going 8-10 seasons or w.e like they could have.

5 minutes ago, not the worst here said:

Nothing more satisfying than 

Hide contents

watching Joffrey bleed out of his eyes to death from poison. I rewinded it 3 times just to watch it again, so glad to have that happen right away in Season 4 on top of it was a great way to surprise you.  However, I hate Cersei with a passion, to have her take advantage and get Tyrion blamed is so classic yet also what makes the show so good - really lives up to the 'Game' analogy they use, why you must play the game at all times, doesn't matter how 'noble' you are in real life either (see: the Starks).  I still have faith in Tyrion though.

Reveal hidden contents

Also, what's with Jamie raping Cersei?

I read that wasn't in the books which makes it kind of weird and still the only thing that holds this show back for me at times from being as good as the 'tippy top' of my rankings.   That was my problem with The Boys.  Obviously, this show is leagues better than that, and most ever, but I hate whenever it feels like the directors/writers have to add a little extra edge than is necessary just for the sake of it/shock value.  

Also,

Reveal hidden contents

Theon getting tortured is fucking with me.  I will give them credit for dialing that back some, some, in the show vs book, but again chopping the penis off wasn't in the book, only suggested was possible, and another 'shock' factor thing.  Ugh.  

Season 1-4 so far are amazing though, although I've heard it dies off after that, outside of season 6, and I can see it.

Reveal hidden contents

Everyone keeps dying.  There's only so many characters left..and I couldn't give a rats ass about Daenerys or Bran.  I truly hate the Daenerys plot.  Or Stannis and his magic lady either really.. so all I'm really looking forward to now is Tyrion & the Lannister family collapse, and whatever happens with Arya, Snow, and Theon.  I guess however Ramsey and Cersei are killed will be nice. I can't see how this show can go past season 4 with all that has happened tbh.  There's no "good" guys left lol.  The whole Stark family is obliterated minus the annoying one.

As of right now, I'm putting it right behind Lost by a small margin.  I'll wait till I'm done with at least the whole show, because Lost did also go off the rockers with the 

Reveal hidden contents

travel back to the island, etc etc

but can't see it passing Breaking Bad ever.  If you forget about Breaking Bad just try not to get nostalgic as hell watching this.

Miss them

1) One of the things the show did better than the book was the Joffrey scene … although he clawed open his own throat in the book.

2) That was in the books as well in the sept.

3) The Theon torture doesn’t happen in the books. You’re told about it and clued into a few things that happened but he goes missing in like book 3 and when he comes back in book 5 he is already Reek.

4) People die in the show that don’t die in the books and vice versa … it weird.

• Wow 1

20 minutes ago, Speedo said:

1) One of the things the show did better than the book was the Joffrey scene … although he clawed open his own throat in the book.

2) That was in the books as well in the sept.

3) The Theon torture doesn’t happen in the books. You’re told about it and clued into a few things that happened but he goes missing in like book 3 and when he comes back in book 5 he is already Reek.

4) People die in the show that don’t die in the books and vice versa … it weird.

Reddit has done me so wrong!  I tried reading those parts, but mainly just believed what a lot said on there.  I did read the Joffrey part though, and yeah it was way too quick over and done with in the books.  

2 minutes ago, not the worst here said:

Reddit has done me so wrong!  I tried reading those parts, but mainly just believed what a lot said on there.  I did read the Joffrey part though, and yeah it was way too quick over and done with in the books.  

A lot of the deaths are like that in the books. They just happen and are done with, it doesn’t dwell too much on them.

One thing I really appreciated about GOT is that, aside from the dragons and a few other things like giants, they don’t really specifically tell you who is a mythical creature, they just show you and it’s not always obvious.

Like the Night King is a necromancer, 

Spoiler

Aria becomes a shapeshifter assassin.

The mountain becomes a zombie. 

Lady in red is a sorceress.

Also, I was always bummed that they never introduced the giant ice spiders that white walkers would ride as per the books. That shit would have been terrifyingly dope. 

24 minutes ago, King of the Long Weekend said:

But seriously, having LOST ahead of GOT is bonkers. I fucking loved LOST on my first watch (one of my favourite shows), but it really didn’t age well for me on a second watch. Way too drawn out in the middle seasons. 

Eh, we'll see.  I just get turned off by anything that ever feels like it's verging on trying to be too edgy just to get audience reaction.  Lost never really did that.  But I'm not saying GoT is riddled with that either, it's a fantastic show, I love medieval times, and they do it well almost in its entirety.  It's definitely the best medieval thing next to LOTR.  It's just a few moments sprinkled in there and like the whole tone of the Deanyrus plot feels like it's done simply for the edgelord community and not as much in tone with the rest of the show.  Like it just screams of fan service, get people talking on Twitter, type of stuff.  But Lost really 'lost' the plot by the last couple seasons I can't get to it on rewatch.  Have to base it off first overall impression and in hindsight though.  And I know GoT gets shite after they run out of books which is kind of a letdown if that becomes true.

Lost is like my 3rd favorite show I think I had it? So it's not that blasphemous to not dethrone that yet.  Both those shows feel equally great to me so far. 

It's not taking BB though.  That show had full vision and control the whole way through, I can't think of a single lost beat in that show.  Even Pulp Fiction had the hotel scene.

On 11/30/2022 at 4:13 PM, Speedo said:

There's no "good" guys left lol.  The whole Stark family is obliterated minus the annoying one.

GRRM originally envisioned the book series as being 3 books, with the last book being called "A Time for Wolves". Even though there are multiple characters and POVs in the series, the Starks do strike me as being the protagonists. They're 6/8 of the POVs in the first novel and 5/9 in the second.

Granted the number goes down because the list of POVs expands and Ned/Cat/Robb die, but I think they're heavily focused on for a reason. The only problem is that apparently plotwise it's impossible for GRRM to execute anything like he did up to The Red Wedding.

On 11/30/2022 at 4:02 PM, not the worst here said:

imo the only world in which GOT passes BB is if GRRM had finished the books on time. When it comes to having a well-thought-out ending, GOT just cannot compete with BB.

6 hours ago, Nasa said:

GRRM originally envisioned the book series as being 3 books, with the last book being called "A Time for Wolves". Even though there are multiple characters and POVs in the series, the Starks do strike me as being the protagonists. They're 6/8 of the POVs in the first novel and 5/9 in the second.

Granted the number goes down because the list of POVs expands and Ned/Cat/Robb die, but I think they're heavily focused on for a reason. The only problem is that apparently plotwise it's impossible for GRRM to execute anything like he did up to The Red Wedding.

imo the only world in which GOT passes BB is if GRRM had finished the books on time. When it comes to having a well-thought-out ending, GOT just cannot compete with BB.

Yeah, I've kind of taken a different approach with it, or realization.  I think the whole theme of GoT, or one of the main ones, is just the brutal reality of life and a bit of nihilism. Life is more like GoT than it is normal hero/evil stories.  It's kind of great in that way.  In that way, it does stand out and provide something fresh.  The brutal nature of it is a bit too trendy for my liking or just how far that theme is pushed.  Like 'we get it' but the whole 'no character is safe!' isn't always justified by the characters.  I'm still pissed about Oberyn.  Yes it's a dog eat dog world, yes medieval times and the current world is ruthless, but to keep layering that on get's a bit repetitive.  I don't hold much stake into the 'medieval times were like this!' because it's ultimately very americanized, glorified sex & violence, which is largely why it's popular (show).  You can still tell that story, without making it such a focus.  I'm sure the books are a bit different feel.  

I mean, it is a really cool show in that way.  You are watching something that follows almost no tropes, so it's basically a political story stretched out into a lengthy novel/show where it does push a lot of themes you don't often get.

BB managed to have no real heroes too and still kept a lot of heart in it.  GoT just wants to stay bleak all the time, honestly requires a lot a breaks to not get depressed subjecting yourself to all that misery. 

I do get why people will get upset with a bad ending of this show (haven't finished it yet), it's basically begging for it.  We have all these separate/inter-connected storylines, and we've watched it for hours upon hours, if there's no major payoffs that hit right, it's going to be pretty disappointing.  I loved about 90% of season 1-4 though, and it does offer a bit more than Lost, so maybe I'll take it up a notch, Lost is just so unique though and holds a lot of heart..and I fucking hate JJ Abrahms.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, not the worst here said:

I'm sure the books are a bit different feel.

The books are similarly brutal and nihilistic. But the sex and violence are not as glorified bc it’s not visual like TV is. The addition of sexual and violent themes in the show which weren’t in the books speaks to that I think.

I was pissed about Oberyn too. Pedro Pascal is hot af. Show Oberyn surpasses Book Oberyn for sure.

19 minutes ago, not the worst here said:

I mean, it is a really cool show in that way.  You are watching something that follows almost no tropes, so it's basically a political story stretched out into a lengthy novel/show where it does push a lot of themes you don't often get.

BB managed to have no real heroes too and still kept a lot of heart in it.  GoT just wants to stay bleak all the time, honestly requires a lot a breaks to not get depressed subjecting yourself to all that misery. 

I love these shows for these reasons too. Lost as well.

GRRM confirmed that the part of the ending that a lot of fans are pissed about is also in the books. Which doubly pisses me off haha, because I don’t think it’s a good ending regardless. When you get to the ending we can discuss. ^^

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I was pissed about Oberyn too. Pedro Pascal is hot af. Show Oberyn surpasses Book Oberyn for sure.

😂😂 Spoken like a true Denearys.  She is a dick to her body guard just because he spied on her years ago, and yet she forgives anything and worships guys who are 'cute' in the show.  Oberyn was sexy though, I didn't like him at first, but he quickly became my favorite before getting his eyes pushed in.  He was the only honest character in the whole show and an actual threat to the Lannisters. 

19 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I love these shows for these reasons too. Lost as well.

GRRM confirmed that the part of the ending that a lot of fans are pissed about is also in the books. Which doubly pisses me off haha, because I don’t think it’s a good ending regardless. When you get to the ending we can discuss. ^^

I thought he hadn't finished past season 4 basically?  I feel like I'm not going to hate the ending just because of how much everyone else does.

1 minute ago, not the worst here said:

😂😂 Spoken like a true Denearys.  She is a dick to her body guard just because he spied on her years ago, and yet she forgives anything and worships guys who are 'cute' in the show.

Show Jorah is hotter than Book Jorah! She should’ve forgiven him.

Her dismissing Jorah and sleeping with Daario happens in the books too. I like that she has flaws like everyone else. I think a lot of fan worship is bc a) Emilia Clarke is hot and b) dragons. But also in the books GRRM isn’t handling the pacing of her storyline well either. I think if her storyline were handled differently, more readers would enjoy it. Can you tell that I have a lot of beef with this series? I’m a huge fan, I promise. 😂

5 minutes ago, not the worst here said:

I thought he hadn't finished past season 4 basically?  I feel like I'm not going to hate the ending just because of how much everyone else does.

He had the broad strokes of the characters’ endgames in mind and passed them along to D&D, but he didn’t/doesn’t have the details worked out.