What TV show are you watching?

Melty Mark

I don’t think they rushed it. They had longer episode run times, a bigger budget, and plenty of time between seasons to shoot/produce. They just didn’t have the books to flesh out dialogue more and only had the basic plot points, which fits Jan’s description of the last two seasons. 

Jan, it’s also worth noting the 4th book Feast for Crows was the worst. So around the 5th season mark dropping actually matches the books. It was pretty clear Martin had writer’s block or something as it was a boring, uneventful book.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, King of the Long Weekend said:

I don’t think they rushed it. They had longer episode run times, a bigger budget, and plenty of time between seasons to shoot/produce. They just didn’t have the books to flesh out dialogue more and only had the basic plot points, which fits Jan’s description of the last two seasons. 

Jan, it’s also worth noting the 4th book Feast for Crows was the worst. So around the 5th season mark dropping actually matches the books. It was pretty clear Martin had writer’s block or something as it was a boring, uneventful book.

I actually liked Season 5, I know a lot didn't, but compared to 90% of television/series, it still was really engaging, just not masterpieces like the first 4 seasons.  6 I started to dislike, because it went away from what made it unique (Jonny boy running into battle on an emotional charge with plot armor type stuff).

But I agree, I don't get the beef about it being short seasons.  They had plenty of time to flesh it out with that many hours, they just chose to make cheap movie tropes instead of interesting dynamics/plot connections/dialogue with that time.

Theon was a bitch season 2 or whatever but I actually really loved his arc and understood (while beyond extreme) his identity crisis with his family split.  It struck home with me and he came through at the end deservingly. And probably the only good arc final seasons.

Him, Stannis, Hound, early seasons Tyrion were probably my favorite characters overall.  Oberyn, Jamie, Tywinn, Catelyn, Sansa, Barristan, Davos,  Brienne close seconds.

Lotta good characters.

I obviously hate Ramsay, Joff, but they killed their roles and drew me in.

Who am I kidding, so much happened in that show, even if it fell off, the theatrical experience alone tied with the masterful first seasons..

1. BB 2. GoT 3. Parks & Rec (it's funnier, just less content than Office) 4. Office 5. Lost

That's final.

15 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

GoT really excelled at making me HATE the villains. In a good way. I've never been so happy to watch someone die brutally as I was with Joffrey and Ramsay lol

I didn't even really think about that, but for that reason alone, it's a pretty incredible show.  Like I've always enjoyed watching villains die in movies/shows, but I genuinely wanted to watch every inch of of Ramsay's face get torn off by the dogs and could have watched Joffrey puke up his own poison for another 10 minutes.  Never felt so relieved and excited to watch characters die lol.

Fucking despicable characters.  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Yeah I don't think I've ever truly hated villains as much in any other show or movie that I can think of off the top of my head.

Nothing comes to mind..  Elijah Wood in Sin City and the yellow dude maybe.. Calvin Candie?

Idk, I think they really might be the most hate I've ever felt for a 'villain' on screen.  Joffrey was just a stupid kid with too much power and a douchebag, unstable.  Ramsay was like a serial killer, torture fetish creep, but smart.  Can't decide who's worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King of the Long Weekend said:

Same here! Just finished it last night. Really engaging episode that tied everything up. 

It's very hard for shows to have a season 2 that's better than season 1 but that's exactly what they did here. Great characters, every story told with a great arc and end, every moment important.

3 hours ago, King of the Long Weekend said:

Reveal hidden contents

Do you think Ethan and Daphne hooked up? 

Spoiler

I think they did! And it's crazy because I wouldn't have thought ethan would cheat.

But I'd like to know IF Harper really did more than a kiss with Cameron because I believed her when she said they just kissed and I think Ethan went off the deep end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

It's very hard for shows to have a season 2 that's better than season 1 but that's exactly what they did here. Great characters, every story told with a great arc and end, every moment important.

Hide contents

I think they did! And it's crazy because I wouldn't have thought ethan would cheat.

But I'd like to know IF Harper really did more than a kiss with Cameron because I believed her when she said they just kissed and I think Ethan went off the deep end.

Agreed. I thought the end of Albie’s arc was a bit boring/predictable, but glad they tied up all the loose ends. 

Spoiler

Agreed on Ethan. The creator of the show commented on it and it sounds like they did.

"Ethan comes to Daphne and did they have some kind of a dalliance on the island? Or whatever happened it allows him to let go of the jealousy that has been brewing with him," White continued.

Whatever may have happened with Daphne and Ethan, White confirmed it brought back the "first kind of sexual charge that happens in the beginning of the relationship and sometimes fades away over time."

"By the end, you're like, well maybe what Ethan and Harper needed was just a small dash of what Cameron and Daphne have," White said.

On 12/6/2022 at 12:02 PM, King of the Long Weekend said:

What’s everyone top shows from this year? I got:

1. Yellowjackets

2. Better Call Saul

3. Severance

4. House of Dragon

5. The Rehearsal

6. The White Lotus

I’ve got Andor and the Bear on my watchlist as well. 

I watched Yellowjackets recently (because Sling TV gave us a few days to try Showtime & I recalled the title ranking high on your list)….it really is this excellent. Easily one of the best shows I’ve watched this year. So…thank you! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, heater said:

I watched Yellowjackets recently (because Sling TV gave us a few days to try Showtime & I recalled the title ranking high on your list)….it really is this excellent. Easily one of the best shows I’ve watched this year. 

Glad you liked it! I was a huge fan how they made a love letter to 90s culture and combined it with a plot that’s basically Lord of the Flies with girls lol. It’s also pretty rare for a show to have two separate timelines where both are interesting and engaging. 

• Love 1

14 hours ago, King of the Long Weekend said:

Glad you liked it! I was a huge fan how they made a love letter to 90s culture and combined it with a plot that’s basically Lord of the Flies with girls lol. It’s also pretty rare for a show to have two separate timelines where both are interesting and engaging. 

Agreed. Also. Juliette Lewis, Christina Ricci, among others…great cast. And their younger characters….could easily tell, from their acting, who was who. Just…so well done. Absolutely loved it. 

• Like 1

I just watched the first season of the Bear. Super short as it’s 8 episodes that are like 20 mins each, so the whole season is basically the length of a long movie. 

I really enjoyed it, maybe not quite as much as most critics/the hype it got, but it’s a very different type of storyline. Without giving much away, a brother who worked at a top restaurant in the world ends up inheriting a family restaurant that is in shambles. The show is fast paced and often stressful to watch in how dysfunctional the kitchen is. The show is really just about the characters and not the restaurant, and pivots to mental health issues like anxiety and grief. The cast is great and the ending hits hard. Would recommend. 

20 hours ago, King of the Long Weekend said:

I just watched the first season of the Bear. Super short as it’s 8 episodes that are like 20 mins each, so the whole season is basically the length of a long movie. 

I really enjoyed it, maybe not quite as much as most critics/the hype it got, but it’s a very different type of storyline. Without giving much away, a brother who worked at a top restaurant in the world ends up inheriting a family restaurant that is in shambles. The show is fast paced and often stressful to watch in how dysfunctional the kitchen is. The show is really just about the characters and not the restaurant, and pivots to mental health issues like anxiety and grief. The cast is great and the ending hits hard. Would recommend. 

I loved it. 

Episode 7 (the one that is filmed in a single shot) is incredible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just about done the Sopranos now, a few episodes into the final season. It holds up well and has aged nicely, but not the fastest or most surprising storyline. 

Spoiler

A lot of parallels to a more realistic version of Breaking Bad. Antiheroes who become more dislikable over the course of it - although Tony was always a terrible person from the get go. Both involved collapses of their marriages as a result.