What TV show are you watching?

Melty Mark

5 hours ago, Level 3 Alpha-Jan said:

Sopranos just sounds boring to me. 

I want to watch it, it's always regarded highly.  Just kind of looks predictable, mob stuff?

Watch it for the characters and less for the storyline. They flesh them out a lot and they’re all pretty 3 dimensional. Just watch the pilot; it’s one of the best pilots I’ve seen and should hook you, and if it doesn’t, the show isn’t for you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elisa said:

@_Bagel do you read what I'm reading? Boring? Not the fastest or most surprising storyline?  giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952e41c5949216f7f401 

Hahaha. I love the show, but season 4 was fairly slow. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s just something I noticed. And it’s definitely fairly predictable in the later season 

Spoiler

Ralphy getting killed was predictable, albeit not at Tony’s hands. Same with Tony making a move on his psychologist.

I’m pretty sure Adriana and, to a lesser extent, Christopher, are going to get killed. Adriana for being a snitch and getting caught, Christopher because he’s a careless idiot. I think Tony gets killed as well, he’s on a downward slope and seems to be making more enemies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heater said:

I wasn’t ever planning on watching The Sopranos, but did about a decade ago & I’m due for a rewatch. It’s as great as they say it is. 

One of those rare shows that feels like it gets better with each additional rewatch. You always catch things you didn’t pick up before.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Level 3 Alpha-Jan said:

Sopranos just sounds boring to me. 

I want to watch it, it's always regarded highly.  Just kind of looks predictable, mob stuff?

@Elisa he just revealed his own ignorance. My estimation of Jan as a man fucking plummeted  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Worst poster here said:

Hahaha. I love the show, but season 4 was fairly slow. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s just something I noticed. And it’s definitely fairly predictable in the later season 

Reveal hidden contents

Ralphy getting killed was predictable, albeit not at Tony’s hands. Same with Tony making a move on his psychologist.

I’m pretty sure Adriana and, to a lesser extent, Christopher, are going to get killed. Adriana for being a snitch and getting caught, Christopher because he’s a careless idiot. I think Tony gets killed as well, he’s on a downward slope and seems to be making more enemies.

What does it say about me that it is my comfort show? Haha 

Spoiler

all of the butterfly effect bullshit that happened could have been avoided if Ralph simply didn't tell that fat joke about Ginny at dinner that one night haha 

I'm not commenting on all the predictions, but it's definitely getting more grim, the first 3 seasons are almost light hearted compared to the rest of the show, but let me know how you'll feel about the next seasons!  

• Love 1

It's the greatest character study ever.  Not just a character study, though. It has the most poignant things to say about mental health, family, life's meaning...

Best use of music in TV, ever.

Every episode makes me hungry as well

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

It's the greatest character study ever.  Not just a character study, though. It has the most poignant things to say about mental health, family, life's meaning...

Yeah, it's incredible. It's just so meticulous in everything it does. Everything is important, even the comedy holds a lot of significance. The perfect character study and it's not just a character study of Tony, it's basically a character study of almost all the people we see. This show just stays with you. 

Carmela's baked ziti >>>>

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, Elisa said:

What does it say about me that it is my comfort show? Haha 

Hide contents

all of the butterfly effect bullshit that happened could have been avoided if Ralph simply didn't tell that fat joke about Ginny at dinner that one night haha 

I'm not commenting on all the predictions, but it's definitely getting more grim, the first 3 seasons are almost light hearted compared to the rest of the show, but let me know how you'll feel about the next seasons!  

I appreciate you not spoiling anything!

Spoiler

As for the butterfly effect - it also would have been avoided if they had visited Paulie more often when he was in prison.

13 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

It’s also a great show about psychology, I’ve been thinking there must’ve been someone on the writing team with a psych background. 

And every episode makes me want a cigar haha literally every 5-10 mins someone smokes one!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Worst poster here said:

I appreciate you not spoiling anything!

Reveal hidden contents

As for the butterfly effect - it also would have been avoided if they had visited Paulie more often when he was in prison.

It’s also a great show about psychology, I’ve been thinking there must’ve been someone on the writing team with a psych background. 

And every episode makes me want a cigar haha literally every 5-10 mins someone smokes one!

And I've never seen a character drink water! The whole show is coke, orange juice and alcohol haha 

I also read on Reddit that there is a huge Facebook group of Sopranos fans called Members Only where most of the people skip the Melfi scenes because they love the show just for the mafia stuff, but those scenes are one of the foundational elements of the show. 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

5 minutes ago, Elisa said:

And I've never seen a character drink water! The whole show is coke, orange juice and alcohol haha 

I also read on Reddit that there is a huge Facebook group of Sopranos fans called Members Only where most of the people skip the Melfi scenes because they love the show just for the mafia stuff, but those scenes are one of the foundational elements of the show. 

Lol that’s a good point about water. I noticed pretty quickly that the show has tons of product placement, doesn’t bother me but it definitely is noticeable. 

That’s insane about Members Only! Those scenes are some of my favourite of the show.

If anyone is going for a rewatch, I’ve heard the actors who play Christopher and Bobby do a podcast together where they watch episodes and provide commentary about their experiences on the show. Might be fun to try listening to it while you have the show on. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Worst poster here said:

Watch it for the characters and less for the storyline. They flesh them out a lot and they’re all pretty 3 dimensional. Just watch the pilot; it’s one of the best pilots I’ve seen and should hook you, and if it doesn’t, the show isn’t for you. 

I liked it.  It definitely felt a little dated, 90s esque, but I can see the potential in it.  Slow burn, but I think a more grounded breaking bad type character studies I will get sucked into at some point. Just need to be in the mood for it. 

I do love Departed, Reservoir Dogs, Godfather, Taxi Driver, Carlitos Way, as some of my favorite movies ever, as well as Mad Men, so I do like the crime genre.  Just burnt out on it.

• Like 1