What TV show are you watching?

Melty Mark

47 minutes ago, Steven J Speedo esq. said:

It was a good show!

The author is a dumb fuck, what can I say? My point still stands.

We are such great friends we are syncing up personalities ... like periods!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

To be fair, entertainment is subjective. 

:D 

29 minutes ago, Nasa said:

To be fair, entertainment is subjective. 

:D 

It is, yes, but that doesn't make the story itself or the characters subjective! Whether or not it's factual to your personal experiences or anyone else's personal experience is inconsequential. That's the point I was making, you can not like the show but to expect it to follow your person experience or anyone else's is nonsense. In the end it's just a tv show, in spite of whatever stupid intent the stupid author had. Telling people not to watch a fictional television show or read a fictional book because you didn't relate and it didn't follow the reality of a real life situation is asinine. 

[mention=20373]Steven J Speedo esq.[/mention]
has it finished in the states? Are they only doing one series ?

As far as I know they are only doing one season ... they went through all the tapes. I don't know how they would progress it more but who knows.

13 hours ago, Steven J Speedo esq. said:

As far as I know they are only doing one season ... they went through all the tapes. I don't know how they would progress it more but who knows.

They're doing a second season apparently

14 hours ago, Steven J Speedo esq. said:

It is, yes, but that doesn't make the story itself or the characters subjective! Whether or not it's factual to your personal experiences or anyone else's personal experience is inconsequential. That's the point I was making, you can not like the show but to expect it to follow your person experience or anyone else's is nonsense. In the end it's just a tv show, in spite of whatever stupid intent the stupid author had. Telling people not to watch a fictional television show or read a fictional book because you didn't relate and it didn't follow the reality of a real life situation is asinine. 

Neither me or NASA did that, though. She watched it and hated it, I am purposely not watching it because of the reaction from others who suffer similar mental health problems to me. I don't really give much of a crap if others watch it, but the idea that the writers went "hey lets write about this super sensitive topic then graphically demonstrate it, but maybe we should check that with professionals first - wait they think its a terrible idea and could actually cause teenagers on the edge to carry it through? Eh whatever, moneeeyyy!" is still pretty gross to me. Negligence is one thing, going out of your way to recognise the issue and then choosing to ignore it is worse. 

It is just entertainment, no doubt, but troubled teenagers aren't exactly the most rational group, and entertainment has quite a large influence on the world. I mean hell, most of us here have spent years talking to and building relationships with strangers because we share a probably quite unhealthy obsession with the band that wrote "all the small things". 

• Like 1

I guess the point of it was that there were never solutions for her and it ended up being the end for her, which was a decision a high school girl might make, which made it really frustrating to watch. She got the thing some people who decide to kill themselves likely want, which was an immense emotional response and revenge on the people who hurt her. For people to know who they were and care. Most people don't really function this way, but young people in particular are probably susceptible to this thinking (I don't have stats for this, it just seems like they would be moreso than older people making the same decision).

I don't know that the problem was the plot, as the content is what it is, the character made these choices and also had these things happen to her (the former did not cause the latter, to be clear), but the show certainly depicts it as though she got everything from her decision that some people dream of with few repercussions that reflect particularly poorly on her. It also doesn't really seem to display that dying is not romantic, it isn't a decision you should make for the purposes that she seemed to make them for (shown with these vengeful tapes and constant snarky, witty commentary), it kind of made it seem like a beautiful solution with an end wrapped up in a bow.

The soundtrack was fucking dope though. Vienna playing while she's walking out of the school for the last time? Holy fuck. A lot of Netflix shows seem to be going for the 80s movie style, synth and new wave type stuff (like Stranger Things), but it's working for me.

I don't think 13 Reasons Why is shit because I can't relate. There is plenty of entertainment out there that I love but can't relate to. Being able to relate makes it better for me but it's not a prerequisite for good entertainment and I don't expect it from anything.

But I do think believing that it's shit because it's inaccurate about suicide and mental illness is a legitimate criticism. Was I expecting Hannah to meet all the checkmarks of a depressed individual that display over a certain period of time, like some sort of medical test? Of course not. That would be kinda lame. But entertainment that is about serious life-affecting stuff like suicide shouldn't be inaccurate, imo, because of the effect that it can have on viewers (and you don't have to sacrifice accuracy for entertainment). Speedo, you don't fall into that category, but other people do. And those people having misconceptions of suicide and mental illness isn't good. 

9 hours ago, Kay said:

They're doing a second season apparently

Neither me or NASA did that, though. She watched it and hated it, I am purposely not watching it because of the reaction from others who suffer similar mental health problems to me. I don't really give much of a crap if others watch it, but the idea that the writers went "hey lets write about this super sensitive topic then graphically demonstrate it, but maybe we should check that with professionals first - wait they think its a terrible idea and could actually cause teenagers on the edge to carry it through? Eh whatever, moneeeyyy!" is still pretty gross to me. Negligence is one thing, going out of your way to recognise the issue and then choosing to ignore it is worse. 

It is just entertainment, no doubt, but troubled teenagers aren't exactly the most rational group, and entertainment has quite a large influence on the world. I mean hell, most of us here have spent years talking to and building relationships with strangers because we share a probably quite unhealthy obsession with the band that wrote "all the small things". 

I didn't say you or NASA did ... you stated people you knew were doing that. I was replying to that.

I thought 13 reasons why was great very emotional..I liked it for clay tho Hannah was kind of meh...

There's a lot of plot holes tho ...but it's just a typical binge watch show with cliff hangers ...

The last few episodes were hard to watch for obvious reasons! 

Maybe I'd need to see his full stand up special to appreciate him.  But that bit there I didn't find particularly funny, I mean all he did was play songs and tell the audience how he misheard the lyrics. He's got great energy, I'll give him that, but the segment is falling pretty flat for me.  

It's his facial expressions. Just the way he is. You probably wouldn't find it funny being American. That's not a dig, it's just not familiar with you, I don't find any American comedians funny. It's not because they're shit. I can't explain it but Americans and Brits are different. Different humour. 

11 minutes ago, Scott. said:

It's his facial expressions. Just the way he is. You probably wouldn't find it funny being American. That's not a dig, it's just not familiar with you, I don't find any American comedians funny. It's not because they're shit. I can't explain it but Americans and Brits are different. Different humour. 

Well I dunno.  I find Jim Jeffries hilarious, granted he's Australian, but he often sounds like a brit.  And then of course RIcky Gervais is frickin hilarious.  I really don't let such silly things like borders or accent influence whether or not I find someone funny, as long as I understand them, I'm down for the ride.  But that guy's bit on misheard lyrics didn't do much of anything for me.  I can see that he has great facial expressions, hence why I said that maybe if I saw his whole special I might enjoy it, but that one particular part was just weak.

5 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Well I dunno.  I find Jim Jeffries hilarious, granted he's Australian, but he often sounds like a brit.  And then of course RIcky Gervais is frickin hilarious.  I really don't let such silly things like borders or accent influence whether or not I find someone funny, as long as I understand them, I'm down for the ride.  But that guy's bit on misheard lyrics didn't do much of anything for me.  I can see that he has great facial expressions, hence why I said that maybe if I saw his whole special I might enjoy it, but that one particular part was just weak.

Yeah Jim Jeffries is more Brit style of humour but he's totally different to Peter Kay, gervias is good but his stand up isn't great. 

If you sat and watched a full peter kay show I promise you that you wouldn't understand about 80% of it. It's not catered to Americans. It would go over your head. Again that's not a dig but his shows are basically about being a brit. Its like me watching some black American comedian. I don't get it. It's not shit I just don't identify myself with it. @2point5 can you explain better than me? 

I guess it's just a matter of being able to relate to the humour. Growing up I was always fucking about, trying to make people laugh, using humour to make people happy. And Peter Kay was the same. Because it's so relatable that's what makes it funny for me, having the same sense of humour. A lot of popular comedians I find shit but that's because their comedy is coming from a different place intirely to what I grew up doing and being used to. That doesn't mean they're not funny but I can't relate to it. I dunno, I'm butchering my explanation and not getting my point across well. Comedy is impossible to explain. A joke will always be funny to someone, yet the same joke will always be hated by many. It's an impossible job. I've lost my train of thought again. Fuck it.