What TV show are you watching?

Melty Mark

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

Started Big Little Lies last night. already has me sucked in. can't believe the show can stay afloat with so many big name actresses sharing the screen.

has reese witherspoon aged in the last 10 years? 10/10

Reese Witherspoon .. 10/10 indeed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Clarkerpes said:

Handmaid's Tale. Really fucked up but enjoying it.

I read the book right before starting it - they've definitely fleshed out the story a lot more and have made some pretty substantial changes, but mostly for the better. 

I've watched the first season. Really weird and uncomfortable show, but it's intriguing and satisfying at the same time. Elizabeth Moss is awesome. have loved her since Mad Men

On 1/19/2018 at 6:31 AM, Ghent said:

I've watched the first season. Really weird and uncomfortable show, but it's intriguing and satisfying at the same time. Elizabeth Moss is awesome. have loved her since Mad Men

I agree. I loved her in Mad Men, but wasn't crazy about the show itself. It was a show with great casting and acting, but a plot that progressed at snailpace. I was interested in the 50's advertising firm theme, but the show was more about their day-to-day life than anything exciting.

Just finished watching Handmaid's Tale. Fuck, what a great last few episodes. After the show had more freedom in the direction it took it over the book, I'm glad the decisions that they made.

Some differences in the show from the book, for anyone that cares. Potential season 2 spoilers follow... 

The Commander and Mrs. Waterford are substantially younger and more attractive in the show. 

Janine is more likeable in the show, she is much weaker/gets more broken down in the book. She doesn't share much friendship with Offred, either. 

You don't get the same flashbacks/back stories of the characters, outside of Offred/Luke/Moira. You don't see the Commander, Mrs. Waterford, Nick (the Driver), etc. backstory.

The first night at the whorehouse is the ending for Moira's storyline. Don't know what happens after that. 

The whorehouse scene doesn't include that fucked up orgy of men laughing and that woman without a hand in the elevator, that was fucked up. 

Offred never gets the letters/notes from the other handmaids.

Luke and Offred never touch base.

Offred never sees her daughter, only a photograph of her knowing that she's alive. Offred still thinks Luke could be alive, but no confirmation. 

The stoning with Janine never happened. The handmaid's never united together like that.

Offred's replacement handmaid that she's paired with for walks is a spy and warns her when she says Mayday in the book. 

You don't find out much about the Commander and his work. You don't find out that they're going to trade handmaids to Mexico. 

Offred has a mother that is referenced a fair amount. Season 2 will likely focus on her. She's a rebel and is more immature than Offred, but is more passionate about the resistance. She's likely to be in the colonies (wasteland) in season 2.

I think Offred either ends up in the colonies because Nick is still brainwashed, or she finds out her mother is still in the colonies and goes on a rescue mission to bring her to Canada. 

Probably like 20 other things I missed, but that should give you a good idea on how much they departed from the book. 

Tons of other bits that add to the depth of characters or how dark the storyline is told. I'd say 25% is added for the first 7 episodes and then it's almost 50/50 for the last 3 episodes in terms of what the TV show adds to the storyline. 

The show is definitely darker but builds on the characters more. I think the show is overall better from the book. My only knock was the music got too ominous at times and it felt overdramatic, like a soap opera or that they needed to crank things up on high every fucking scene. 

On 1/18/2018 at 5:42 PM, Ghent said:

Started Big Little Lies last night. already has me sucked in. can't believe the show can stay afloat with so many big name actresses sharing the screen.

has reese witherspoon aged in the last 10 years? 10/10

I've been trying to finish the book for a while, so much rich white suburbia and PTA drama... I wanna finish it first though.

Same for Handmaid's Tale, except I love Margaret Atwood and I just haven't had the time to finish it.

6 hours ago, Clarkerpes said:

I agree. I loved her in Mad Men, but wasn't crazy about the show itself. It was a show with great casting and acting, but a plot that progressed at snailpace. I was interested in the 50's advertising firm theme, but the show was more about their day-to-day life than anything exciting.

Just finished watching Handmaid's Tale. Fuck, what a great last few episodes. After the show had more freedom in the direction it took it over the book, I'm glad the decisions that they made.

Some differences in the show from the book, for anyone that cares. Potential season 2 spoilers follow... 

Reveal hidden contents

The Commander and Mrs. Waterford are substantially younger and more attractive in the show. 

Janine is more likeable in the show, she is much weaker/gets more broken down in the book. She doesn't share much friendship with Offred, either. 

You don't get the same flashbacks/back stories of the characters, outside of Offred/Luke/Moira. You don't see the Commander, Mrs. Waterford, Nick (the Driver), etc. backstory.

The first night at the whorehouse is the ending for Moira's storyline. Don't know what happens after that. 

The whorehouse scene doesn't include that fucked up orgy of men laughing and that woman without a hand in the elevator, that was fucked up. 

Offred never gets the letters/notes from the other handmaids.

Luke and Offred never touch base.

Offred never sees her daughter, only a photograph of her knowing that she's alive. Offred still thinks Luke could be alive, but no confirmation. 

Offred has a mother that is referenced a fair amount. Season 2 will likely focus on her. She's a rebel and is more immature than Offred, but is more passionate about the resistance. She's likely to be in the colonies (wasteland) in season 2.

I think Offred either ends up in the colonies because Nick is still brainwashed, or she finds out her mother is still in the colonies and goes on a rescue mission to bring her to Canada. 

Probably like 20 other things I missed, but that should give you a good idea on how much they departed from the book. 

Tons of other bits that add to the depth of characters or how dark the storyline is told. I'd say 25% is added for the first 7 episodes and then it's almost 50/50 for the last 3 episodes in terms of what the TV show adds to the storyline. 

The show is definitely darker but builds on the characters more. I think the show is overall better from the book. My only knock was the music got too ominous at times and it felt overdramatic, like a soap opera or that they needed to crank things up on high every fucking scene. 

Not reading the spoiler because I haven't finished the book, but I can't believe the show is darker than like, rotting bodies nailed to a wall in the middle of the town.

One thing I liked that Atwood pointed out in her introduction was that nothing she wrote about was anything that had never happened in recorded history. Some of it was biblical, which you can think what you will about, but a lot of it was just history. It hurt my head when I sorted through everything that happens in the book that was real from all these different atrocities and war times.

2 hours ago, ungroovy said:

Not reading the spoiler because I haven't finished the book, but I can't believe the show is darker than like, rotting bodies nailed to a wall in the middle of the town.

One thing I liked that Atwood pointed out in her introduction was that nothing she wrote about was anything that had never happened in recorded history. Some of it was biblical, which you can think what you will about, but a lot of it was just history. It hurt my head when I sorted through everything that happens in the book that was real from all these different atrocities and war times.

Only a few times was the show much worse.

They just go into more detail and have more character depth in the tv show, so you end up seeing more fucked up stuff. It's mostly sexual stuff, but some of the government overhaul is more detailed in the show. 

I read that beginning blurb as well, it definitely shows that Atwood lived in Berlin for a while. 

22 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Finished ‘end of the fucking world’ I thought it was ok. Worth a watch but not great. 6/10

Agreed I thought it was good, and the characters were great but there wasn’t too much to it. It’s just like a long two and a half hour movie split into chapters so I really enjoyed it just from that perspective.

with regards to the handmaids tale, I love the messaging and themes behind the show, but I find the story itself really boring and feel like there’s so much more they can do with it. I’m going to give the second season a chance and hope that the world expands with more perspectives and it’s not so character driven.

On 1/20/2018 at 10:32 AM, ungroovy said:

I've been trying to finish the book for a while, so much rich white suburbia and PTA drama... I wanna finish it first though.

Finished the season last night. So good. I want more.

It actually reminds me of Mad Men in a way. Like a modern, mom version of Mad Men. Which sounds terrible, but works perfectly.

On 2018-01-25 at 5:48 AM, ...Dan... said:

Anyone watched Riverdale?

I'm about 4 episodes in and like it quite a lot, am a bit of a sucker for these sort of shows though. 

First season is pretty decent but the second one drops off pretty hard. They filmed the two seasons way to close together i think and it shows. The show is all filmed around where I live though so its cool seeing places ive grown up in a show that big. 

Anyone checked out Dirty Money on netflix yet? Ive just watched the first episode so far but it was about the Volkswagon scandal and its pretty eye opening. I knew all about it because my cousin who im close friends with has a been a vw mechanic all his and is in big vw clubs, he explained the basics to me and i really had no problem with it. After watching this show though I will never think of buying a VW or audi again. The company is run by very shitty people. 

5 hours ago, knapton said:

Anyone checked out Dirty Money on netflix yet? Ive just watched the first episode so far but it was about the Volkswagon scandal and its pretty eye opening. I knew all about it because my cousin who im close friends with has a been a vw mechanic all his and is in big vw clubs, he explained the basics to me and i really had no problem with it. After watching this show though I will never think of buying a VW or audi again. The company is run by very shitty people. 

Who would have thought the company that designed cars for Hitler would be shitty?

1 hour ago, Clarkerpes said:

Who would have thought the company that designed cars for Hitler would be shitty?

If you watch the episode, it all actually comes full circle to Hitler (sorta). Spolier: it involves gassing people out in chambers. 

@Olidamus you need to watch this show. I think youll like it. Ive watched 3 episodes now and its all about people who basically scam huge amounts of people out of money simply because of greed.