Late Night Talk Show Thread

radioactive tomdog

I miss when NBC had bomb ass Thursday nights: New 30 Rock, New Community, New The Office (even in its not so hot seasons), and New Parks and Rec.  2 hours of comedy bliss.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy that Parks and Rec and Community are new, but I can't remember any other time on any other network where they had 4 half hours of new comedies in a row that are consistently awesome.  Animation Domination comes close, but Family Guy has been weak to bad for years, Simpsons is still alright, Bobs Burgers and American Dad remain fantastic though.

i like how none of us have mentioned carson daly yet. NBC always fucks him in the ass every time they need a new Late Night host. obviously, he would be a horrible fit. but the fact that he just accepts it and continues his show thats on absurdly late is just funny to me. he's no comedian, but excellent at interviewing people. if i remember correctly, i think his show eventually stopped trying to be funny and became more music based.

Carson's late show has actually led me to some good music. Seems like every time I catch it...which is like once every couple months lol, i end up discovering a new artist and getting into them.

hannibal is pretty awesome but they moved it friday night because....nbc is retarded.

We tried really hard to get into that show but just couldn't. It moved to slow, I was always wondering if it ever picked up pace. We made it about halfway through the season.

it is weird to think that pretty much all music related talk shows are dead. Fuse is now just a waste of space on my tv guide and Fuel TV (once considered my favorite channel) is now purely UFC based.

Yeah it is. Fuse used to be pretty rad from 2001-2007 but it got new management and became what it is today. I used to have a Fuse bag I got at Warped Tour that said "Fuse, Where The Music Went". That used to be their motto and kind of hard to believe. Shows like 6th Avenue Drop, Steven's Untitled Rock Show, Uranium, Warped Wednesdays, etc were great and gave spotlights on less known acts. 

We tried really hard to get into that show but just couldn't. It moved to slow, I was always wondering if it ever picked up pace. We made it about halfway through the season.

well its not an american produced television show. most foreign shows are slower moving. if it wasn't shot so beautifully, i'd definitely stop watching. the pace hasn't really picked up, but i can see it being like breaking bad and it will eventually blow up in the viewers face with craziness. despite the fact that its slow, the fight scenes are soooo well done.

I remember watching HBO Family (I loved Crashbox way past when it was age-appropriate) and Fuse was two channels down, I would flip back and forth and eat frozen orange juice with a cantelope spoon and just be in heaven hiding away in my basement. I remember seeing Blood Red Summer for the first time and just latching onto it

• 4 weeks later...

I liked Leno he's what I grew up listening to. I thought his monologues were decent but his interviews were great. Letterman is a pompous asshole. I've really grown to love Kimmel and he's currently my favorite. Conan quirkyness got old quick. I've seen some of Fallon and he's alright. He's just to giggly I feel like sometimes.

Sad to see Letterman will be retiring, but at least I'm sure he'll be classy enough to actually retire when he says he's retiring.  In his place I say put someone young, as decent as Craig Ferguson is, he wont last long in that slot if they give it to him.  I say give Joel McHale the show.

Conan better get Letterman's gig.

Ferguson would be flop in that slot.

I don't think Conan can, he's probably contractually obligated to stick with TBS for another few years.  Plus I like him on TBS because the word Shit doesn't get censored, and they take advantage of it.

Also, anyone else notice that TBS is slowly becoming a network station?  I mean its not included in basic cable packages, but its got an incredibly similar layout to the likes of CBS, ABC, Fox, and NBC.  Two late night shows, sporting events, new primetime shows, heck new episodes of American Dad are being moved to TBS next year.  All they need to do is drop all the Tyler Perry BS, and get a nightly news thing going and bam, 5th tier in your basic cable network channels.

if conan isn't tied to TBS for a few more years, i bet he'll jump into letterman's slot without hesitation. tbs is such a weak network. they really don't have anything worth watching other than conan. as mike said, they could get better. but, i don't really see it happening.

Do you stick around for The Pete Holmes Show after?  He's pretty dang funny, I first found out about him a few years ago on podcasts and I was excited he was getting his own show.  He's an odd looking fellow for sure, but he gets some good laughs out of me.  And I guess Conan really likes him too, the two worked together and Conan essentially got him the job more or less.

Also, American Dad will be airing new stuff on the network, which is by far my favorite Seth McFarlane show, in fact its his only show I can watch.  But TBS also runs March Madness games (which is awesome for me right now as I'm from Wisconsin and a huge fan, cheering them on tomorrow night), and they run reruns of great old sitcoms like Seinfeld, Friends, King of Queens, etc.  And as I said, I love that Conan is able to say the word Shit without it getting bleeped, it makes the delivery of a lot of jokes all the more hilarious.