first demo

Dr. Poon

Okay. So, I gave your song a couple of listens and I think essential you have a decent song on your hands. That being said, I do have some thoughts on it. Constructive criticisms so don't be offended, take from them what you will. 

1) Get your drummer in check. He's all over the place with this one, he sounds like he's a decent enough drummer to pull this off but it sounds like he doesn't know the song very well. I understand its a demo though and, by definition, more or less just an idea that needs polishing and work, so I assume it'll get better.

2) Smooth out the guitar leads. I noticed the guitarist picks out every note on the lead. There's no need to, it makes it seem disjointed and off time. Hammer on's and pull off's will add a more fluid sound to the lead and you'll find it's easier to play on time with them. 

3) One thing that immediately hit me was after the intro you guys go into ring outs for the chords and then into palm muting... my suggestion is to reverse that. Full blown intro --> Palm muted verse --> Ring out chords --> and so on.

4) Also, double time the chorus... there seems to be this fascination among bands to half time the chorus these days... it makes no sense in most songs. You effectively kill all the energy you built during the verse, pre-chorus. I understand half timing the bridge because you want that break down... that relief but not the chorus. 

5) Lyric melody. I'm willing to bet you have the lyrics finished just yet so that accounts for some of it but I feel like you need a good solid hook. I can hear the start of it with the chorus (again... that's something the half time kills) but it's never fully realized. The melody should compliment the music and likewise with the music complimenting the vocal melody. 

Like I said though, you essential have a decent song on your hands, it just needs some work... like all demos do.