When they covered "Hope", by Descendents?

rambomhtri

Hi, I've found a that blink 182 covered a song by Descendents, called "Hope".

Everywhere I see it, it says that it was a live performance, but it sounds as it was recorded in the studio, cause it sounds pretty clear and nice.

What I wanna know is if it was a live performance, and WHEN they covered it. Listening to the voice of Tom, I'd say that it was in "Dude Ranch" years (1997-1998) or EVEN "Cheshire Cat". THIS is the version I'm referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flZnSzyUxCg

Cause there's another version out there that is obviously LIVE, in 2003.

Thanks!

Hi, I've found a that blink 182 covered a song by Descendents, called "Hope".

Everywhere I see it, it says that it was a live performance, but it sounds as it was recorded in the studio, cause it sounds pretty clear and nice.

What I wanna know is if it was a live performance, and WHEN they covered it. Listening to the voice of Tom, I'd say that it was in "Dude Ranch" years (1997-1998) or EVEN "Cheshire Cat". THIS is the version I'm referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flZnSzyUxCg

Cause there's another version out there that is obviously LIVE, in 2003.

Thanks!

I'm to sure if this is the exact recording but I know at one point it was recorded for a radio station, I want to say during the promotion of untitled. I think they played Miss You or Asthenia and then this. They also played it on tour during the TOYPAJ era.

• Like 1

So you think that the song I've posted (video) is from 2003?

I'm pretty sure it's NOT live. But Tom's voice in the song has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with his singing in 2002-2005, just listen to all the other live shows and live recordings, such as all those in the blink-182 album from Chicago, Minneapolis and London (Pepsi Smash show).

Don't you think it's more like 1997-2000?

It kind of reminds me to the voice of the The Mark, Tom and Travis Show album, but the guitar's tone is so different.

It was from 2003, a few months before the album was released.  If I recall correctly it was recorded while they performed live at a radio studio of some sort (to be played on the radio live), hence the good quality of the recording while it was still in fact live.  The fact that Tom sounds so great is a bit of a conundrum as for most of those shows even in 2003, Tom had already started to sound poor when singing live.  However, I've always believed, and still do, that he can when he wants to, still sound significantly better than he typically does these days when singing live (you can find examples of it scattered throughout their live shows over the past decade).  I'm sure the fact is he can't do it for too long cuz he's probably fucked up his vocal chords in some way (perhaps his earlier years of smoking much more or maybe just all the singing in general has strained his vocal chords and damaged them).  Regardless, it is live, and it was 2003, that much I am sure of with this recording.  I remember when it first appeared online even that year.

• Like 1

Well, may be I got that wrong, let's say 1999-2000. But man, listen to Aliens Exist. That voice is clearly different (NEWER), and that's why I'm saying it's before 1999.

I understand, but I recall the time period exactly when this pro recording of Hope came out, I was looking forward to the new album like crazy, checking for a leaked song every damn day, and then I remember the day that Hope was released.  And looking at message boards like this and people talking about the new release.  It may be hard for you to believe, but yes, this cover was indeed recorded and "released" in 2003.  (Released only in the sense that someone recorded the radio recording and set it free to the world, it was never on any official release obviously)

• Like 1

Oh, thanks DUDE!!! It's been a pain in the ass to find out the year.

I'm kind-of agree with you, Tom DeLonge actually CAN sings more or less well when he wants to, excuse me, COULD. Since 2009, I think I've seen like 2 or 3 songs that he can actually sing. The show can be fun, they can be excelent...whatever, the fact is Tom can't sing, or at least he doesn't want to sing well anymore. Mark sings worse of course, but sometimes he sings pretty decent, nice sometimes, like old-days.

But to be honest, Tom completely stopped to sing nice since 2002. Before 2002, he kicked ass singing his songs, really really nice vocals, awesome shows, not always perfect, some little fails sometimes, but what do you expect, I'd never call Tom a good singer, he's just an amateur that enjoys singing and does it pretty well for his compositions. More or less, 85% of the songs he sang were pretty well performed, I'd had paid to watch him in a show without a doubt, he was great singing his songs.

Already in 2001, he started to struggle singing Anthem Part Two. Started to sing sometimes ultra-fluid without any problem, and other times reaching the notes barely. May be too many shows for him, I don't know. Pretty the same with Mark, sometimes he sang Dammit fluid, others started to suffer the "high" notes, and shout 'em.

In 2002 Tom started to sing worse and introduce some AVA-like parts in his singing, and started to ruin some parts of some songs. You can TOTALLY sing different, sing like AVA sounds in albums AND not ruin a song. But he changed things in a bad way, not just different: it was different AND worse. Nevertheless, when he wanted, he could sing a song like he used to. An example of his decline is that he could NEVER sing well "Stay together for the kids", never, not even in 2001. Tried hard, but couldn't. Mark couldn't match the chorus harmonized voice neither.

In 2003, it's a completely JOKE how he sings "Stay together for the kids", he can't even sing it decent. He just can't.

Another example, "Dumpweed". He sang it very nice in 2000-2002, specially the chorus. Sometimes COMPLETELY fluid. Now, listen to a 2003 show. You won't believe that the guy that sings it is Tom. He can't sing the chorus anymore, really really bad performances.

In "What's my age again?" you can also notice what a HUGE difference there is between 1999-2002 and 2002-2005. Mark kept singing very nice, it was Tom the one that was ruining all the songs (vocals).

Tom started to sing First Date in a AVA style, but he just sang it different, not ruining the song. I prefer the song as it is in the album and as he used to sing it, but he did not ruin the song, just a different way.

And I don't know, since 2002-2003, it was random, you could find a Tom DeLonge that can sing, or you could find a fake Tom trying to sing, that completely ruined every song he sang.

OK, 2003, thanks guys, I appreciate you :D

About the Tom's voice there, well, I'd NEVER EVER would say it was recorded in 2003. I'd bet my head it was in 1999-2000 if someone asks me, although I'm wrong. That guitar distortion is not common in Tom's tone before 1999-2000. And if you listen to the Enema of the State album, you can see that the guitar there sound refreshed, newer. Hope reminds me a kind-of old school blink from late 90's. His voice too.

• Like 1

In 2003, it's a completely JOKE how he sings "Stay together for the kids", he can't even sing it decent. He just can't.

He sounded very bad then but when you listen to that stuff now, he almost sounds good. That's how bad his singing has been since AvA.

• Like 1

Yeah, I already have a live version of GO, for BBC Radio, 2004.

So if they say HOPE is in 2003, there's no way they played them in the same session. So, what is it?

Hey thongrider, notice that Tom is not a professional singer, I mean, he used to sing nice and was able to perform live, back in the days, awesomely nice, but for SURE I know that he's just an amateur, as I said, I'd never ever call Tom DeLonge a great singer. His vocal compositions have NEVER been difficult, because he had to sing them, so that's it.

In these kind of bands is hard to find a great singer because vocals don't require a great singer. The reason is pretty simple: if they were complex and really tough, there'd be like 98% less of punk rock bands. The exactly SAME thing with guitars. Is almost impossible to find a great guitar player in these kind of bands because guitar riffs and compositions are really simple to perform, obviously BY great players, not by noobs that think they can play a Tom's composition because they hit all the notes (99% of the blink 182 guitar covers in YouTube are ugly and bad played. I've found like 10 guitar players that really play a decent cover).

Please don't get me wrong, Tom used to sing GREAT, and used to play guitar GREAT, but he is NOT a great player or a great singer. Nevertheless I love his compositions, they're beautiful and amazing, really (mainly talking about Scott Raynor era, although I really love every song composed by DeLonge).

Surprisingly, AOL sessions from 2003 were way better than I expected. Violence, Down and Go were well played, but Obvious was a little (not a huge) failure because of Tom's voice and guitar. Feeling This is acceptable, although Mark is not singing well. Although these performs are worse than their previous ones (1994-2002), they are still decent. One of the 2003 performs that survive.

Surprisingly, AOL sessions from 2003 were way better than I expected. Violence, Down and Go were well played, but Obvious was a little (not a huge) failure because of Tom's voice and guitar. Feeling This is acceptable, although Mark is not singing well. Although these performs are worse than their previous ones (1994-2002), they are still decent. One of the 2003 performs that survive.

Does anyone have this that they'd be willing to send me?  I can't seem to find a good copy to download online.

• Like 1