Interstellar

theedge00

Interstellar rating  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

I understand that time was slower on the planet but I still don't understand how ageing works? My head is so fucked that I can't even explain what I want to understand. I can't explain what I don't understand basically haha

So what ages us? Time? Gravity?

haha ok! Relativity can be a  true mindfuck hehe.

Several factors contribute to ageing actually! There are things called telomeres in your cells. These get shorter during your lifetime and this is linked with the ageing process. Here are some more things listed:

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/chromosomes/telomeres/

• 4 weeks later...

Saw the movie. It was pretty good and made me think a lot but also very flawed. For starters, the premise about some blight destroying every eatable plant in every corner of the world (apparently including greenhouses) was fucking stupid. I mean, you can send all this shit into space but you can't cure a plant disease/build sterile greenhouses? Every time I tried to think of the tragedy facing humanity back home, I was reminded of how stupid the whole concept is. Even a zombie apocalypse would've made more sense.

And when they landed on that ocean planet, couldn't they look around a bit first while still inside the ship? Would have saved a lot of trouble. 

The whole thing about entering the singularity intact was stupid. Tidal forces would have ripped him (and the "probe") apart. The tesseract was very unclimactic. It's kinda like with Contact, you're excited to see what's on the other side but there's no way they're not going to disappoint you. And communicating through a clock? C'mon, if you can do that, why not just send her an email or something? The clock had quite a "hard drive" and a processor I must say, not only to store all that binary data but to keep playing it in a perfect sequence ad infinitum. Even Tom Delonge wouldn't be able to come up with a sillier idea.

And Christ that stuff about love was some terrible writing.

I did like the Matt Damon segment though. I thought it was somewhat credible and didn't try to be overly complex. The back home stuff was mostly uninteresting except for the father-daughter thing.

Bloody hell! Its a movie ffs..its not real! Its a great movie ..best I have seen in a while, do you pick holes in every Adam Sandler movie too?

This was an incredibly ambitious movie; you can clearly tell Nolan wants it to be a great movie. Has Adam Sandler ever been in a movie that's even average? It's not like the things I mentioned were of minor importance to the plot.

I still haven't been able to get past the clock thing. How does touching it make it "remember" the sequence anyway? Reaching out to his daughter through five dimensions by the power of love? Such rubbish. It has sadly become a trademark of Nolan to lose sight of things and end up overdoing it.

I understand that time was slower on the planet but I still don't understand how ageing works? My head is so fucked that I can't even explain what I want to understand. I can't explain what I don't understand basically haha

So what ages us? Time? Gravity?

Locally they age the same way as we do, as a result of biological processes. This is why the Matt Damon character had put himself in that cryo sleep, to inhibit aging (and boredom), and it had nothing to do with time dilation.

Think of time dilation this way: You jump straight up aboard a moving train (constant velocity). Where do you land? On the same spot as where you started. Your trip was straight up, then straight down: you can never measure anything else. Now imagine someone observing this from outside the train, as it passes this observer at constant velocity. Like you, he sees you land on the same spot as where you started, but that spot has moved during your jump because the train itself was moving while your feet were off the floor. That means you too must have moved along with the train; otherwise you'd miss the spot. From his point of view, your jump consists of two diagonal lines, one upward, another downward. These lines are longer than the straight up-straight down lines you measured (mathematically they have to be). The height of the jump is the same. The speed of the jump is the same. But the outside observer sees you travel a longer distance. From his point of view, you take a longer trip through time, i.e., you age slower than he does. Time dilation reconciles these observed (and 100% real) differences.

This was an incredibly ambitious movie; you can clearly tell Nolan wants it to be a great movie. Has Adam Sandler ever been in a movie that's even average? It's not like the things I mentioned were of minor importance to the plot.

I still haven't been able to get past the clock thing. How does touching it make it "remember" the sequence anyway? Reaching out to his daughter through five dimensions by the power of love? Such rubbish. It has sadly become a trademark of Nolan to lose sight of things and end up overdoing it.

Lol Adam Sandler has made some quite enjoyable movies down the years..anyone who says the don't find at least one of them hilarious is lying.

Interstellar had a scientist to advise Nolan in this movie so its as accurate as it can be without actually going to space and doing it.

What can't you understand about the watch? It seems pretty simple to me...

Love might be a cheesey line but hey like I said its a movie ..

• 4 years later...

I was pretty psyched to see this when it came out, as I love movies that deal with space. But then I didn't go to the theatre, and I bought it on Blu-ray but never put it on.

And then I did.

I thought it was a masterpiece? Made me cry multiple times. And that song. Jesus. It's a movie I could watch whenever, just absolutely brilliant/beautiful. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...